Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrlith
My 914 I have owned for almost 30 years. Very beautiful car but has sat in my garage covered for 80% of that time. Never really ran very well, wants to shut off at red lights, stuff like that. I rebuilt the carburators my self but only got alittle better. I am going to do a standard compression test as well as a leak down test to see if it is worth messing with or just replace the engine completely.

Does anyone know a place in the Inland Empire to pick up a fully rebuilt 1.7? Please advise, thanks.
JmuRiz
I'd say best bang for the buck is to talk with McMark at Original Customs about the requirements for his 2056.
stevegm
QUOTE(mrlith @ Oct 13 2016, 01:47 PM) *

My 914 I have owned for almost 30 years. Very beautiful car but has sat in my garage covered for 80% of that time. Never really ran very well, wants to shut off at red lights, stuff like that. I rebuilt the carburators my self but only got alittle better. I am going to do a standard compression test as well as a leak down test to see if it is worth messing with or just replace the engine completely.

Does anyone know a place in the Inland Empire to pick up a fully rebuilt 1.7? Please advise, thanks.

Are you wanting a long block, full engine to use your carbs with, or full engine with injection?
7TPorsh
do a valve adjustment then a compression test to see where you stand before you start changing things out...
ndfrigi
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 13 2016, 10:55 AM) *

do a valve adjustment then a compression test to see where you stand before you start changing things out...

Yes try to visit or bring your car to a good 914 shop first especially if its the original matching number. If it is just running rough maybe it just need some tuning.
KELTY360
QUOTE(mrlith @ Oct 13 2016, 10:47 AM) *

First question: did the car have carbs when you got it or did you have it converted to carbs?
Second question: why was it converted to carbs?

30 years ago puts it right in the era when carbs became the easy answer to runability problems instead of learning how to troubleshoot FI problems. It could have been something simple that led to the carb conversion. Happened many times.

I would look strongly at converting back to D-jet FI before you look at replacing the engine. It's much cheaper and could lead to more reliable service. A well sorted FI system is a pleasure to drive at any rpm. If the car has spent most of it's time sitting in your garage, the engine probably doesn't have a lot of miles on it and may be just fine.

Do the compression and leak down tests to confirm the engine's health but don't assume the carbs aren't the problem.
injunmort
sounds to me the car really only needs a good sorting, not a power train rebuild.
mepstein
Find someone with a good running 4 who is converting to a 6
Heeltoe914
Glad your putting it back on the road. PM me hear if you like I can move you in the right direction for testing the motor and if needed then go towards motor replacement. But a 914 motor sitting for 30 years in dry storage should run great with some tuning an some clean up on the Fuel supply system.
I just got a 2.0 running after a reseal, tune / clean up. and it runs great. I would run some PB blaster down the spark plug whole just for safe measures.
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 13 2016, 10:49 AM) *

I'd say best bang for the buck is to talk with McMark at Original Customs about the requirements for his 2056.

Only problem with McMark, his services are great,but he's about 3000 miles away. The request is for someone in the LA area.

To the OP, you will simply needed to surf the classified and or simply take it to a local shop for trouble shooting and or rebuild.
Good luck
JmuRiz
I had no idea what "Inland Empire" was...figured it just meant the lower 48 states. biggrin.gif
JustinMeier
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 14 2016, 06:55 AM) *

I had no idea what "Inland Empire" was...figured it just meant the lower 48 states. biggrin.gif

lol-2.gif

909/951 area codes essentially..
PlantMan

Call European Motorwerks or Fat Performance. There is also a great shop in Ontario but I can't think of the name at the moment. I also hear Rimco mentioned a lot but they maybe more VW shop.
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Oct 14 2016, 01:18 PM) *

Call European Motorwerks or Fat Performance. There is also a great shop in Ontario but I can't think of the name at the moment. I also hear Rimco mentioned a lot but they maybe more VW shop.

Yes, have Jorge at European Motor Works rebuild yours for very reasonable, they build plenty of type 4s. Or Gus in Rancho Cucamonga at german auto. FAT is very good, but more $$$.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.