Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater cables needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Racer
It was a little chilly recently while out on a ride in my -6. Pulled up the red lever for heat and got none. This was odd because as a kid, I recall the car always putting out a little heat, even in summer. Well, after I crawled underneath, I noticed that someone had removed the heater cables from the control boxes. Hmm. That may have been fine in Florida but not so great here.

Where do folks source heat cables from? I am not sure how much of the system I need to replace, but assume its the main cables and ends. Are they the same for -4 and -6 cars? Do they come in sets or individually (for each side)?

I presume my control boxes actually work in this scenario wink.gif

TIA wavey.gif
76-914
Check with Mark at 914rubber. I sent him a pristine set from which to model repro's. Not sure about their production status. beerchug.gif
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 13 2016, 12:14 PM) *

It was a little chilly recently while out on a ride in my -6. Pulled up the red lever for heat and got none. This was odd because as a kid, I recall the car always putting out a little heat, even in summer. Well, after I crawled underneath, I noticed that someone had removed the heater cables from the control boxes. Hmm. That may have been fine in Florida but not so great here.

Where do folks source heat cables from? I am not sure how much of the system I need to replace, but assume its the main cables and ends. Are they the same for -4 and -6 cars? Do they come in sets or individually (for each side)?

I presume my control boxes actually work in this scenario wink.gif

TIA wavey.gif

The cable or wire is a single length that is bent in the middle where it passes through the lever at in the cabin. I f your not going to run in the rain you could always use piano wire which is cheap and readily available, the originals are piano wire with a clear plastic protective sheath. Well they were on my car
sbsix
Racer check with Mark at 914Rubber. I measured my OE 914-6 heater cables for him and he is making them. Six cables are a different length than the fours.
Mikey914
Got them in stock with protective coating, plug and play. You can make your own, but by the time you buy the wire, and then you are crimping the bolt on the barel net will fatigue the wire and you'll get to do it again, but bright side you already have cable to do it again.

http://shop.914rubber.com/PCG42407501-914-...m?categoryId=-1

Racer
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 13 2016, 07:02 PM) *

Got them in stock with protective coating, plug and play. You can make your own, but by the time you buy the wire, and then you are crimping the bolt on the barel net will fatigue the wire and you'll get to do it again, but bright side you already have cable to do it again.

Because I am not a bright man, in the link to the cable, I would need 1 or 2 cables? Or is there only 1 cable and it splits in the engine compartment to go to each flapper / control valve?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 13 2016, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 13 2016, 07:02 PM) *

Because I am not a bright man, in the link to the cable, I would need 1 or 2 cables? Or is there only 1 cable and it splits in the engine compartment to go to each flapper / control valve?

To one not so bright Northern Virginia member from another, you need but one cable. The ends of the cable go one each to a flapper box. The middle of the cable is where it's connected to the control in the passenger compartment.
Racer
Thanks. Going to try 914Rubber as suggested. Order submitted!
Mikey914
Thanks for responding, he's correct, the cable is actually one, but is bent in half.so the ends come out at the correct length. The short is drivers side, long is passenger.
Mark
Racer
Ok.. Now that the parts arrived.. I thought I could find pics on the web of how to route the cable(s)... but I haven't yet..

So.. do they route through a single spot in the firewall or do they split in the tunnel and come out in two locations in the firewall? (one pic made this seem like a possibility, but it was a grainy shot focused on the heat exchanger and not really on the control cables...)

Anyone have a diagram or a photo? Also, do the lines in the engine compartment affix to anything other than the flapper valves? (ie, they just float from firewall to valve or are they hooked/held up by any other supports?

Thanks!
pbanders
RE: 914 heater output - I've always found it to be very good. It's best when cruising along, and decent at idle (especially if you have the blower splitter and passenger-side hose). Everything has to be in good shape for it to work, no leaks, and good heater boxes. Gotta check all the hoses and connections to be sure.
Mikey914
Tried to find a better shot, but they just come out the tubes (covered by the nipples) and go to the Barrel nut assembly on the flapper.
Racer
Thanks!
Racer
Its bad to reconnect just one side, correct?

I was feeling lazy and was looking under the car. I noticed that the cables to the boxes were still there, but were disconnected. When I tried to reattach, I noticed one side had the correct "sleeve" at the end for the barrel nut, but the other side did not.. Hmm..

Since I was running out of available time, I reconnected one side for now.. but then started wondering if this would cause problems to the engine (ie, uneven heating on each side)...

I have a feeling I will be replacing the cable (which I have a replacement of already)...

Thoughts?
Mikey914
I wouldn't say it would be "bad". Worst you could experience is the cable pull through the hole on the lever. As it is bent, it would probably take some time before it could pull through, so don't worry. But is it stops working you will know why.

mepstein
I don't think it will work just pulling from one side. The cable will probable just slip.
cwpeden
I've had only one for 10 years. Not a problem.
Mikey914
The bend in the wire is significant so hard to say. As long at the break was not at the handle it wouldn't pull through easily.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.