Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Retractable Seatbelts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pbanders
What's involved with installing retractable seat belts? When I bought my 1970, it had no belts at all. I put in some crappy stock non-retractable belts years ago, but they are and always were crappy. I'd like to put in something better. Suggestions? Just lap and shoulder retractable should be all I need.
SirAndy
Don't!

I have actually come to really like the non-retractable belts in my '70.

Set them once and forget about it.
piratenanner.gif
914werke
Tougher on the early cars as the back wall has no recess for them, but you probably new that.
jeffdon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 13 2016, 08:39 PM) *

Don't!

piratenanner.gif

Andy - My 72 has belts that sorta retract. They are a bit balky. Can I make them non retractable? Or are you talking track belts?
pbanders
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Oct 13 2016, 08:42 PM) *

Tougher on the early cars as the back wall has no recess for them, but you probably new that.

I've got the later back pad with the cutouts in it, I assume that helps. I'd need to remove the back pad, but it's attachment to the firewall that has me wondering.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Oct 13 2016, 09:10 PM) *
My 72 has belts that sorta retract. They are a bit balky. Can I make them non retractable? Or are you talking track belts?

Not talking track anything, the early stock belts don't retract. They are adjustable but stay tight once set.

I very much prefer them over the retractable ...
smile.gif
cary
This is what I'm running in my 73 DD.
Which uses the later mounting points. But they should be able to come up with something for you.

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/seatbelts-an...ts/332/view/125
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 13 2016, 11:39 PM) *

Don't!

piratenanner.gif

agree.gif one of those special early car things.
mramber
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 14 2016, 11:47 AM) *

Don't!

piratenanner.gif

Cool, I thought I was the only one, but mine work the same way! Maybe it was installed like that at the factory along with the rust??? lol-2.gif
RenoRoger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 14 2016, 09:47 AM) *

Don't!

piratenanner.gif

The retractable belts used in VW Beetles might fit.

RenoRoger
Dominic
I retro fitted a 1970 with front retractable seat belts from a 944. There were some modifications to make it fit perfect, plus I drilled two holes in the firewall to mount the reels. Not plug and play, but it can be done.
Elliot Cannon
Retractable inertia reel seat belts were designed because people are too f**king lazy to buckle and properly tighten their seat belt. They were designed more for convenience than safety. I don't trust them. Some designs will tighten the inertia reel belts automatically when the airbag is deployed. Retractable belts in the 914 however were not. Here's what I use.
pbanders
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 14 2016, 07:25 AM) *

Which uses the later mounting points. But they should be able to come up with something for you.

Perfect, that's what I was looking for, thanks.
ThunderbirdDrive
I've replaced my old belts on my '76 with new ones from seat belt planet. Extremely happy with the fit and quality of their parts.
GeorgeRud
Auto Atlanta has (had?) some retractable so that bolted onto the upper mount and work pretty well if yo want to go retractable.Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
I believe that you must modify the firewall in order to fit the 72+ retractors on an 70-71 car.

--DD
raynekat
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 14 2016, 04:32 PM) *

I believe that you must modify the firewall in order to fit the 72+ retractors on an 70-71 car.

--DD

This is true.
I am in the process of doing this on my 71.
Grafting the recess and reinforced part of the firewall from a newer car that the retractible assemblies will fit into.
Not a trivial process if done correctly.
pbanders
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 14 2016, 03:40 PM) *

Auto Atlanta has (had?) some retractable so that bolted onto the upper mount and work pretty well if yo want to go retractable.Click to view attachment

I'll check that out, looks like the simplest solution.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 14 2016, 11:05 AM) *

Retractable inertia reel seat belts were designed because people are too f**king lazy to buckle and properly tighten their seat belt. They were designed more for convenience than safety. I don't trust them. Some designs will tighten the inertia reel belts automatically when the airbag is deployed. Retractable belts in the 914 however were not. Here's what I use.

Elliot:

Where'd you get these? What's involved in installing them on a '72?
914 RZ-1
[quote name='pbanders' date='Oct 14 2016, 12:10 PM' post='2411181']
[quote name='cary' post='2411104' date='Oct 14 2016, 07:25 AM']

[/quote]

Can you confirm these will fit on a '72? I have the recess in the firewall (what I'm assuming is the later mounting points?). I have retractable seat belt now, but they stick a little and I'd like ones that work and are new.
914werke
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Oct 19 2016, 09:08 AM) *
I have retractable seat belt now, but they stick a little and I'd like ones that work and are new.

Try restoring them 1st.
>Remove from car
>affix in a Vice or similar
>unroll & wash straps thoroughly with mild soap
>allow to dry completely
>reinstall

Youll be amazed how much dirt come off of them, and usually how much more easily they retract afterward.
Of course if your concerned about their integrity after 30 Yrs, replace them.
malcolm2
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 14 2016, 05:40 PM) *

WOW... as much as George talks about keeping the cars original and he suggested that but does not want you to up a 1.8 engine to a 1911?

I don't get it.
malcolm2
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Oct 19 2016, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Oct 19 2016, 09:08 AM) *
I have retractable seat belt now, but they stick a little and I'd like ones that work and are new.

Try restoring them 1st.
>Remove from car
>affix in a Vice or similar
>unroll & wash straps thoroughly with mild soap
>allow to dry completely
>reinstall

Youll be amazed how much dirt come off of them, and usually how much more easily they retract afterward.
Of course if your concerned about their integrity after 30 Yrs, replace them.

I know this list does not include much more than washing and it should not.

Don't just go in there willy-nilly. There is a spring that will go off like an atom bomb and you will be so pissed. Clean, wash, squirt silicone or WD-40, but be very careful if you start taking them apart any further than just off the car.
malcolm2
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 13 2016, 11:25 PM) *

I've got the later back pad with the cutouts in it, I assume that helps. I'd need to remove the back pad, but it's attachment to the firewall that has me wondering.

Maybe you got your back pad off already. But if not and for anyone else that happens to wander by....

the attachment of the backpad to the fire wall is with small bolts that screw into plastic sleeves inserted into the fire wall. But you probably saw that cause the bolt heads are visible.

The crazy thing is the pad has hooks that point UP. They go in loops in the firewall. So once the bolts are removed, you have to pull the pad DOWN to get the hooks out of the loops on the firewall.
Click to view attachment
RickS
I must be one of those f******g lazy types since I added inertia reels to both seats. Besides wearing 4 or 5 pts in this state is illegal. I believe the reasoning is in a side impact situation you can't move the upper torso/head away from the impact.

After initially adding, I removed the driver side and after a few months got fed up with not being able to reach the radio and passanger side window crank, etc, so went back. Only regret on a 71 is the clunky appearance, but they do work.

Click to view attachment
pbanders
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 26 2016, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 13 2016, 11:25 PM) *

Maybe you got your back pad off already. But if not and for anyone else that happens to wander by....

the attachment of the backpad to the fire wall is with small bolts that screw into plastic sleeves inserted into the fire wall. But you probably saw that cause the bolt heads are visible.

The crazy thing is the pad has hooks that point UP. They go in loops in the firewall. So once the bolts are removed, you have to pull the pad DOWN to get the hooks out of the loops on the firewall.
Click to view attachment

Thanks, actually, I haven't removed the pad yet, so that was really helpful.
Rob-O
Meant to reply to this earlier. I have a quick question. I looked at the belts for 914's on seatbeltpla et. It looks like the whole mechanism is new, including the recover that the belt plugs in to. Does anyone know if the new belt mechanisms/latch fit into the stock receiver? I think it would help keep the interior more stock looking if so.

Has anyone had just the belts themselves replaced? Essentially just having seatbelt planet replace the webbing while retaining the mechanism/latch/receiver? Just curious if replacing just the webbing cures the sticking belt syndrome.
ThunderbirdDrive
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Nov 8 2016, 03:11 PM) *

Meant to reply to this earlier. I have a quick question. I looked at the belts for 914's on seatbeltpla et. It looks like the whole mechanism is new, including the recover that the belt plugs in to. Does anyone know if the new belt mechanisms/latch fit into the stock receiver? I think it would help keep the interior more stock looking if so.

Has anyone had just the belts themselves replaced? Essentially just having seatbelt planet replace the webbing while retaining the mechanism/latch/receiver? Just curious if replacing just the webbing cures the sticking belt syndrome.

I tried to retain the stock receiver for my sealtbelt planet replacements on my '76, while the new belt could occasionally latch in, it wasn't a perfect fit. Ended up putting in the new receivers as it just plugs in so well.
Rob-O
Thanks, definitely good to know.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Oct 19 2016, 08:04 AM) *

Elliot:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/categor...amlockHarnesses
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Oct 19 2016, 08:04 AM) *

Elliot:

http://www.automotion.com/weltmeister-harn...-1969-1998.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.