Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FUEL LINE REQUIREMENTS FOR CARBS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OLAF
Hello All, I'm new to the 914's and this organization and like what I see. This group seems very devoted to the cars. Cosmetic restoration of my '71 was begun by the seller and nicely done. I've just begun the mechanicals. Seller had installed a 2.0 motor with Empi 44's.

I'm installing the gas tank but wonder if a Fuel Return Line to the tank is used? I know it was required for the FI setup. Can I just Cap off the "fuel line return port" on the tank?

The new system uses a Carter Electric pump, factory set at 4 psi. I plan to install a regulator and gauge set to 3.5 psi.

You feedback is greatly appreciated...
"OLAF" (Paul)
Mark Henry
Either or...you can run it single line regulator before the carbs, or you can run it return and you place the regulator after the carbs. With a return circuit the line should loop like in a fuel injection system.
N_Jay
A return line, even on a carb system reduces the chance for vapor lock.

A return line may be needed in the future if you even went back to FI for any reason. (Restoration or upgrade).
porschetub
Running the same Carter pump regulated @ carbs to just over 3psi,no flooding issues,my pump is located on my front suspension beambeam with short line to tank suction,I like this idea because the pump has a head of fuel to it always.
My old FI fuel return is capped off @ the tank,I used the old return line in the tunnel to get power to the fuel pump.
I'am using low pressure FI fuel hoses with proper fuel line clamps for piece of mind.
GeorgeRud
Just be sure tat the fuel line is labeled safe for ethanol laced fuels. I assume most should be these days, but it's best to check.
Localboy808
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 14 2016, 10:08 AM) *

Either or...you can run it single line regulator before the carbs, or you can run it return and you place the regulator after the carbs. With a return circuit the line should loop like in a fuel injection system.

How would you run the return line like that? Return line on one end is to the tank. Where does the other end go? I'm not understanding.
OLAF
Amazing,,, so many fast and quality replies to my query. Thank you all.
OLAF
N_Jay
QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Oct 14 2016, 08:20 PM) *

How would you run the return line like that? Return line on one end is to the tank. Where does the other end go? I'm not understanding.

You feed the carburetors with "T" fittings ten end the line with the regulator.
The regulator has a return line that goes to the tank.

Tank > Pump > Filter > Carb 1 > Carb 2 > Regulator > Return
Localboy808
QUOTE(N_Jay @ Oct 15 2016, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Oct 14 2016, 08:20 PM) *

You feed the carburetors with "T" fittings ten end the line with the regulator.
The regulator has a return line that goes to the tank.

Tank > Pump > Filter > Carb 1 > Carb 2 > Regulator > Return

Ahh. Never used a regulator. No wonder! Thanks for the explanation!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.