Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Shaft Bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
The Bearing has a gap, is that ok ?
And where does the bushing go, it's a 928 part but listed on the Autohauz AZ website as compatible with the 914 shaft ( 92834773902)
Elliot Cannon
Isn't that sleeve with the gap in it a fix for a loose steering shaft? I seem to recall it is used to tap into the shaft to tighten up loose steering. Am I wrong? It's been years since I used one.
malcolm2
I had my column apart this week. A PO had used the small wavy spacer that is supposed to be on the shift ball. I just left it, but will buy one of these for the next break down of the column.

Pelican has a how-to on a 911 HERE

IIRC the wavy one on mine was actually on the shaft 1st, then the pot metal key-column lock etc...

Click to view attachment
ThunderbirdDrive
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 14 2016, 01:56 PM) *

Isn't that sleeve with the gap in it a fix for a loose steering shaft? I seem to recall it is used to tap into the shaft to tighten up loose steering. Am I wrong? It's been years since I used one.

That's exactly it. I just installed this part in my steering column to take out the sloppiness. Just banged it in and it's a night and day improvement over how it was before.
jim_hoyland
Does the bushing go between the shaft and the Bearing?
80cap
While we are discussing steering parts, I just received a steering shaft bushing from AA which is very used and crusty. Part # u91434770601. Mark needs to make these! I don't want to install this unless no is no other choice. 25 bucks with shipping down the drain! mad.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(80cap @ Oct 14 2016, 01:15 PM) *

While we are discussing steering parts, I just received a steering shaft bushing from AA which is very used and crusty. Part # u91434770601. Mark needs to make these! I don't want to install this unless no is no other choice. 25 bucks with shipping down the drain! mad.gif

Does it look like the one pictured above ? Got it from AutohauzAZ
80cap
No. It is a rubber boot that seals the fore ward bulkhead from the inside of the car.
Brian
Mikey914
In the process of making the rubber bearing holder and trying to source the correct bearing. I can fudge the OD a little(as I'm making the Steve, but the OD is the critical dimension.
Mark
914_teener
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 14 2016, 12:44 PM) *

Does the bushing go between the shaft and the Bearing?

Yes Jim.

If you take a peice of either 3/4 or 1 inch copper tubing from HD....can't remember which size.... over the spline on the steering shaft.....it will drive in home in that space.

sixnotfour
is the bearing actually loose in the housing ??,,if so its the wrong bearing, looks like the lower bearing..
some housings are a slight press fit others fall in , there is a snap ring that holds the bearing in place , you,ll see when you replace your housing with the one in your picture.

PET doesnt list the bearing , but this is the one 911-347-771-02,,

here is some good info on the later columns,
http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/91...ing-column.html
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 15 2016, 01:39 AM) *

is the bearing actually loose in the housing ??,,if so its the wrong bearing, looks like the lower bearing..
some housings are a slight press fit others fall in , there is a snap ring that holds the bearing in place , you,ll see when you replace your housing with the one in your picture.

PET doesnt list the bearing , but this is the one 911-347-771-02,,

here is some good info on the later columns,
http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/91...ing-column.html

THANKS Jeff, that loink is perfect ! Clears up a bunch of questions smile.gif Ordered a new one....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.