Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me identify brake caliper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
Without going into too much detail, the drivers rear caliper on my track car sheared a mounting hole and I need a replacement caliper. The thing is, I don't know what model the caliper originated on. I'm fairly certain they're 'A' calipers. Can any experts weigh in? I obviously need to find a replacement.

Click to view attachment
vintage914racer
Click to view attachment

gcrotvik
PM Eric Shea at PMB. He's Eric_Shea on this site. He will surely know.
Dave_Darling
Does a magnet stick? Were the mounting bolt holes 3.5" on-center? Then they are likely A calipers.

--DD
bdstone914
it is a rear 911 based on the inlet orientation. No common 911 rear calipers were aluminum. which one depends on the thickness of the spacer between the halves. 911 SC calipers gave a 11mm spacers for use with 24mm thick rotors. I have some pairs that are cores. PM me
Mikey914
I know Eric has several new sets of these in aluminum with the aluminum pistons. If you want to cut weight, may be the way to go.
Eric_Shea
That's a drivers side (left) 911 rear M-Caliper. 1969-1983

This caliper came with the new LWB cars and their new trailing arms. D31 Pad size. 38mm pistons. These had contoured flat top pistons, similar to 914 front calipers with the 20 degree angle cut in the piston top. These calipers all had knockback pins and mechanisms until 1976 when the pistons changed to a cup style (which is what this probably is based upon the casting numbers):

1969 - No spacers on standard 911's with solid rotors. 10mm spacers (not 11mm) on 911S models with 20mm (not 24mm) vented rotors.

1970 - All 911's moved to vented rotors. Spacers in these and the 69S cars were rounded and machined.

1973 - Spacers became molded, cast and then milled. They had a more precise fit (not that it matters, just more of an appearance issue).

1976 - When the cars moved to power assisted brakes, these calipers lost their knockback mechanisms and internal pins. The power circuitry kept a constant 2-3 PSI of residual pressure on the system. This is when the "cup" style pistons arrived on the scene. More surface area for cooling.

So, the same caliper lived on the rear of a 69 911T all the way through the 911RS and first 930's.

In 1984 the 911 became the 3.2 Carrera and it received a new caliper with larger 42mm pistons. This is the same time the 911 received it's first "Pressure Regulator" (not proportioning valve) like the 914 to prevent the larger rear pistons from locking up. This is when 14mm spacers were added to the rear calipers and the car received very heavy 24mm rotors.

What? TMI? biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
agree.gif

That's what I was going to say but E beat me to it..... biggrin.gif
bdstone914
I have this core caliper I can sell. Have the other one too if you want to get a pair and do a rebuild.
vintage914racer
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 16 2016, 12:21 PM) *

That's a drivers side (left) 911 rear M-Caliper. 1969-1983

This caliper came with the new LWB cars and their new trailing arms. D31 Pad size. 38mm pistons. These had contoured flat top pistons, similar to 914 front calipers with the 20 degree angle cut in the piston top. These calipers all had knockback pins and mechanisms until 1976 when the pistons changed to a cup style (which is what this probably is based upon the casting numbers):

1969 - No spacers on standard 911's with solid rotors. 10mm spacers (not 11mm) on 911S models with 20mm (not 24mm) vented rotors.

1970 - All 911's moved to vented rotors. Spacers in these and the 69S cars were rounded and machined.

1973 - Spacers became molded, cast and then milled. They had a more precise fit (not that it matters, just more of an appearance issue).

1976 - When the cars moved to power assisted brakes, these calipers lost their knockback mechanisms and internal pins. The power circuitry kept a constant 2-3 PSI of residual pressure on the system. This is when the "cup" style pistons arrived on the scene. More surface area for cooling.

So, the same caliper lived on the rear of a 69 911T all the way through the 911RS and first 930's.

In 1984 the 911 became the 3.2 Carrera and it received a new caliper with larger 42mm pistons. This is the same time the 911 received it's first "Pressure Regulator" (not proportioning valve) like the 914 to prevent the larger rear pistons from locking up. This is when 14mm spacers were added to the rear calipers and the car received very heavy 24mm rotors.

What? TMI? biggrin.gif

Too much is better than too little. The $64k question.... Do you have a suitable replacement?
bdstone914
PM sent
Eric_Shea
Bruce, let me know next time you dive the Titanic. I'd love to go along! biggrin.gif

Suitable replacement would depend on the pistons. Are they cup style?
vintage914racer
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 16 2016, 03:21 PM) *

Bruce, let me know next time you dive the Titanic. I'd love to go along! biggrin.gif

Suitable replacement would depend on the pistons. Are they cup style?

I'm not sure what the "cup" style is, so I've included a couple pictures.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Those are cup style. They are cupped out vs. a contoured top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.