Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 canisters, trying to refill the charoal filter late model 1976
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
I have a large canister under the front trunk that should be the charcoal canister. I have a question though, I also have a similar canister in the engine bay to the direct left of the battery....what is that used for? I was thinking it was for emissions, but this is a non catalyst equipped vehicle from what it says on the driver door sticker.

The charcoal canister under the front trunk to the right of the gas tank looks a bit bigger than most. From what I understand I can remove it and replace the charcoal inside.

Here is a picture of the front and rear canisters.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
carcus
Sorry, it added 2 pics of the front charcoal canister and the last one is the engine bay. I have the charcoal I got from Amazon to refill the canister in the front trunk. I just want to make sure that is what it is. Looks bigger than some I have seen in the pictures but I know it is a late model.
Click to view attachment

The picture I added is what I think my 1976 has. The scale just has me off. And please forgive the left over glue on the front trunk, ripped the old dirty one off to replace the fuel filter and pump. Not sure if I want to 3M spray the new one on or just use some velcro since it will need some rust repair.
Firstcar
Not sure what item you are referring to in the front trunk but there s/b only one charcoal canister and in your car its the object in your engine bay next to your battery.
The three objects in your front trunk pictures are your gas tank, the expansion chamber bolted to it and the fresh air box.
carcus
QUOTE(Firstcar @ Oct 14 2016, 10:39 PM) *

Not sure what item you are referring to in the front trunk but there s/b only one charcoal canister and in your car its the object in your engine bay next to your battery.
The three objects in your front trunk pictures are your gas tank, the expansion chamber bolted to it and the fresh air box.

Thanks, so confirm the charcoal box it the one next to my battery....correct?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(carcus @ Oct 14 2016, 10:50 PM) *

yes that is correct sir!
carcus
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 14 2016, 11:58 PM) *

QUOTE(carcus @ Oct 14 2016, 10:50 PM) *

yes that is correct sir!

Thank you so much, restoring some of these I just want to make sure I want to get it right. Before I dive in....I come here. Much appreciated. I will remove the rear filter next to the battery and attempt to fill it with fresh charcoal pellets tomorrow. Love this site for all the great info. I am kinda in rush mode since snow is coming. Doing all I can in the month of October.
Dave_Darling
In your first photo, I see the top of the fuel tank and part of the expansion tank (on the left side of the photo) and some of the ventilation air box. I don't see the front-mounted canister.

So you're fine; you have exactly what we would expect for a US-spec 76 914. (Except that the expansion tank looks like metal and not plastic.)

--DD
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 15 2016, 08:14 PM) *

In your first photo, I see the top of the fuel tank and part of the expansion tank (on the left side of the photo) and some of the ventilation air box. I don't see the front-mounted canister.

So you're fine; you have exactly what we would expect for a US-spec 76 914. (Except that the expansion tank looks like metal and not plastic.)

--DD

and he is missing the plastic cover that goes under the straps that hold the gas tank in place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.