Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mechanic Jumpsuit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
where do i find "a modestly priced" jumpsuit?

quote from Big Lebowski.....i love that movie
TheCabinetmaker
retirement home garage sale. laugh.gif
bd1308
so probably a bad question to ask huh? okay let me rephrase....what do you all wear when you work on your car?
tat2dphreak
PEPBOYS have used painters suits for about $5 each...

bd1308
i just figured a jumpsuit would be easiest....
914GT
Just go buy some cheap painter coveralls. when they get torn or dirty throw them away. Good thing to keep in the trunk of the car.
bd1308
so where would i find painter cover-alls? and i'm not looking at yard sale stuff...estate sales creep me out.
MattR
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 19 2005, 09:53 AM)
so probably a bad question to ask huh? okay let me rephrase....what do you all wear when you work on your car?

I work naked.

How else could i get por15 on my hootus?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (MattR @ Apr 19 2005, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 19 2005, 09:53 AM)

I work naked.

How else could i get por15 on my hootus?

laugh.gif
bd1308
do you weld naked too....? I bet you have a golden-brown tan from all of the UV and oil being soaked in....
Scott S
Good old Sears has the one piece Dickies in short sleave (which I prefer - just wear an old sweatshirt underit if it gets cold).
Our local Amy Navy store has them also, as well as the Carhart brand insulated version.
MattR
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 19 2005, 10:07 AM)
do you weld naked too....? I bet you have a golden-brown tan from all of the UV and oil being soaked in....

chicks dig an even tan
merrill
Hey Britt, what happened to that break you were taking laugh.gif The paint suit is a good cheap way. Any place that sells paint usually has them. Paint Mart?
bd1308
yeah...that break lasted a short time.... i'm back...tonight i have to type 2 papers and teach myself how to make a nut and bolt

matt: yeah...i don't have one and i want one...but i need some ab classes b4 i attempt it....i get embarrased now
ArtechnikA
Sportsmansguide.com often has mil-surplus and closeout stuff.
also sierratradingpost.com for closeouts, overstocks, and irregulars.

i like BDU's because they are cheap, durable, and have lots of pockets. for shirts - well - i have a lot of old event T-shirts... in the event of an "in-service" repair, i almost always have a beach-size towel in the car (because i have an old Targa and it rains here a lot...) available for use as a ground cloth.
TheCabinetmaker
Actually, I wasn't kidding. A one piece leisure suit like the old guys(really old guys) wear works great and is very light weight.
Cano
I got a one piece coverall real cheap at K-Mart. Stay away from synthetics, especially if you plan on welding, as you will find the new holes in the coveralls match up exactly with your newly roasted skin. headbang.gif
anthony
I got some Ben Davis coveralls at Orchard Supply Hardware for about $35. Probably not the cheapest ones you can get but they are very durable.
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 19 2005, 01:25 PM)
teach myself how to make a nut and bolt

Er... hardware store? wink.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif
mightyohm
Use all those free t-shirts the credit card companies on campus give you for signing up, plus the ones recruiters give out at job fairs. That and a worn out pair of jeans and you are set.

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 19 2005, 12:53 PM)

old jeans that don't really fit anymore, shirt optional by weather, cap: always, old tennis shoes... $5 overalls from pepboys if I think I may have to go to the parts store later(keeps most crap off)

I never throw clothes away that have holes or does not fit anymore... they only become work clothes... the only real protection against dirt is usually on my hands... I get those cheap-ass latex gloves from costco/sams to keep most stuff off...
mightyohm
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.