Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checking/Resetting Error Codes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
okay, this is the girlfriend's car....has idiot light for O2 Sensor.....checked online and all i saw was that the Mazda people want you to shell out $$$ for resetting and checking the ECU error codes...is this a key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON thing (as in the Jeep) a trick wire in the ECU (like a acura integra) or what? I wanna do this myself, and I don't really would like to buy a tester, as I am currently looking for a VW 1218 to buy, as it will be more useful to me....any ideas?

also need to know info for same situation in my mom's 95 XJ6
GWN7
disconnect the battery...it will reset to default
Joe Bob
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Apr 19 2005, 10:27 AM)
disconnect the battery...it will reset to default

Yeah...but wait like 2-3 minutes before hooking it back up.
Part Pricer

Go to Autozone. Tell the nice man behind the counter that you have an error light on your dash. He will come outside to the parking lot and hook up his scanner to the car. He'll tell you the error code and give you a somewhat plausable reason for the light coming on. Then, ask him to reset it so the light goes off. Drive home.

Repeat procedure until engine seizes.

Joe Bob
BTW...most of them blink in a code sequence...like Morse code. There should be an online source to decode the blinks....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 19 2005, 01:35 PM)
BTW...most of them blink in a code sequence...like Morse code.

ALL '97 and newer cars sold in the US are OBD-II cars (no more blink codes...)

you'll need an OBD-II fault scanner to reset the code.
if the fault is intermittent, it may go off after a certain number (~5) of off/start/run cycles.
if you have a real fault, like the O2 sensor is really bad, the light will come right back on after you clear the fault...

i donno what a VW1218 is. if it's anything like a 5051 or 5052, have a look at VAG-COM that can do it better and cheaper. the new software version do generic OBD-II, too, on most non-US cars (works fine on my Subies...)

i don't think we've had anybody try it on a Jag yet but we got word it works on a Range Rover...
bd1308
VW 1218....the tester used on 914 FI systems......at least the one I hard of was called the 1218.....I really REALLY want one.... sad.gif
ArtechnikA
well - i can't help you there.
our stuff only works with diagnostics-capable cars...

(which means it doesn't work on any of my Porsches, either...)
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 19 2005, 10:03 AM)
okay, this is the girlfriend's car....has idiot light for O2 Sensor.....checked online and all i saw was that the Mazda people want you to shell out $$$ for resetting and checking the ECU error codes...is this a key

also need to know info for same situation in my mom's 95 XJ6

An O2 sensor light? Describe the light. OBD 2 cars don't have, IME, an "O2 sensor" light. They have a CEL or an MIL, and these come on for literally hundreds of reasons, all of which set codes that can be read by a scanner and used to guide you to the fault. The Jag isn't OBD 2, IRCC, and MASY use blink codes. Since Jag is Ford, perhaps a Ford scanner will do what you need to do. The Cap'n
bd1308
i meant CEL....sorry for the confusion....it came on because of the O2 Sensor problem or something ( so her dad says) .....so i'm gonna pull the batt cables and HOPE TO THE LORD the radio doesnt have a code to enter....the jag is before Ford owned them, and i figured it WAS OBD-I so I coudl do the off-on-off trick, but no beans...there is a different method and i'm wondering what that is.......the reason why *I* am pretty sure it was teh O2 sensor is bc the gf's dad took the car in to have it scanned and that's what came up, and after replacement and a short time later, light came on again.....so I wanna see if it's just a temporary thing or if the sensor really is dead....he didnt even know O2 sensors had warranties..... confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.