Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT ARTICLE: Duuuuuuuuuuuude
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
balljoint
Canada is the first country in the world to approve a cannabis spray that relieves pain in people with multiple sclerosis, Health Canada said Tuesday.

The announcement sent shares of the U.K. maker of the drug, GW Pharmaceuticals Plc, up as much as 14 per cent in London. Germany's Bayer AG will market the drug in Canada.

Sativex, which is administered through a spray in the mouth, relieves pain in patients that suffer from MS, the government agency said. It's expected to hit the shelves by late spring.

“Effective pain control and management are extremely important in a disease like MS,” said Dr. Allan Gordon, neurologist and director of the Wasser Pain Management Centre at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto, in a statement. “The approval of Sativex in Canada reflects the urgent need for additional treatment options in the field of neuropathic pain in MS.”

Neuropathic pain, or nerve pain, is a common symptom of MS and can occur in as many as 86 per cent of people with the disease, Health Canada said. The pain has been described as freezing, cold or burning sensations of the limbs, most often in the lower extremities. Many MS patients experiencing neuropathic pain haven't found relief with current treatment options.

“Sativex will likely be welcomed by the many people with MS, whose quality of life has been further compromised with neuropathic pain,” said Dr. William J. McIlroy, National Medical Advisor, MS Society of Canada.

Sativex was found to both relieve pain and reduce sleep disturbance, Health Canada said.

The drug is derived from two compounds of the cannabis plant, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol.

About 50,000 Canadians have MS and the disease of the central nervous system is the most common neurological disease affecting young adults in Canada.

The drug has been approved with some conditions, and the authorization “reflects the promising nature of the clinical evidence which will be confirmed with further studies,” Health Canada said. Side-effects from the drug, usually “mild or moderate,” can include nausea, fatigue, dizziness and a serious case of the munchies.

smoke.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (balljoint @ Apr 19 2005, 12:05 PM)
About 50,000 Canadians have MS and the disease of the central nervous system is the most common neurological disease affecting young adults in Canada.

and now you have a motive as to why Canada has a sudden boom of people with neurological diseases
freezing14
I feel a bit of pain,, and a burning sensation in my mouth,,, what do you recommend doctor????? monkeydance.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (balljoint @ Apr 19 2005, 10:05 AM)
....and a serious case of the munchies.

smoke.gif

lol2.gif chairfall.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Follow the money! Prolly Frito Lay has a huge investment in lobbying for this one ........................... The Cap'n
Jeroen
you can laugh all you want...

my mom has neuropathic pains as a result from a stroke
she's in constant pain, 24/7 without any physical reasons for it
on bad days, she wakes up crying from the pain, takes her meds and just sits on there, waiting for the meds to kick in to make it slightly bearable
on good days she's able to get some groceries, but that's pretty much it
she can hardly walk anymore (because of the pain)
In the last four years since the stroke, I've seen here age 20 years... heck, most 75 year old women are more mobile the she is (she's in her mid 50-ies)

she's been drinking (prescribed) canabis tea for about a week now and for the first time in years, she can get a decent nights sleep and wake up feeling rested and without too much pain
it works better than her morfine based pain prescribtions (which also wreck your organs)
SpecialK
Wow, that's terrible Jeroen! sad.gif

A guy I work with (Paul Homan) is from The Netherlands and was telling me that they actually broadcast on the radio (can't remember the station he said) the price per gram of the "weed" that's going around. huh.gif That true?
redshift
Oh, to live life in the Dutch crypto futures market.

cool_shades.gif

Nothing to see here people... move along.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.