Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve #3 too tight?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
contacted the VW guy, he told me that #3 valve (dunno which one) was too tight......?? should i be peeing in my pants or what?
ArtechnikA
i vote for "what" ...

background, OK? what are you talking about?

i'll ASSUME you took the car to someone else for a valve adjustment for some reason.

for a variety of reasons, valves are more likely to tighten in service than loosen - which is one reason we check them. so - HOW MUCH too tight? 0.001"? whoopie. you back off the adjusting screw an eight of a turn and ta da. normal.

he probably mentioned it so you can keep an eye on it. if it KEEPS tightening every time you check it on a regular basis, you could have an issue.
bd1308
i had teh car limped in bc it ran like complete shit.....i'll keep an eye on it definately....ended up a bearing for the fuel pump went out, causing my real loud buzzing whirring sound (like a real loud dying hard drive) and the valves were tight....and of course the exhaust being loose on (the right side somewhere) got tightened again...so it's gonna sound GOOOOOOOOOD....until i bring it home....he also said for me to leave it alone and enjoy.....
TheCabinetmaker
Britt, I'm glad you took your car to a real mech to have those valves adjusted. Wrongly adjusted valves will cause major damage to your motor. I've seen the results first hand. Like he said, quit readjusting crap and drive the car!!!!!!

Here's what happens when a valve seat comes loose and the valve hits the piston at 5000 rpms.

nebreitling
whoa! that is AWESOME curt! was that your cylinder? we need a collection of these shots...
skline
I vote, Pee your pants!! laugh.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Luckily, that was not my cylinder. It was the dirtiest engine bay award at musr 2002.

I vote, Pee your pants!!  
lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif chairfall.gif
bd1308
LOL....good one scott..i dug up some intresting information you and Z might like....i'll pm you
tat2dphreak
is this the same vw guy that told you you couldn't put a different year 914 engine in your car? if so get someone else to look at it, and them pee your pants if they agree
bd1308
it wasnt year, it was size...he thought i couldnt put in a 1.7 in place of a 2.0....but i suppose he figured the 1.7 would be a type 1 and not a type 4.....I dunno, but this guy is a good guy....just a little out-there like me.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 19 2005, 04:49 PM)
it wasnt year, it was size...he thought i couldnt put in a 1.7 in place of a 2.0....but i suppose he figured the 1.7 would be a type 1 and not a type 4.....I dunno, but this guy is a good guy....just a little out-there like me.

good guy or not, he has given you bad advice 2 times, double check his work...
bd1308
true dat....will you all help me double-check valve clearances..? another first for me....Lucky for me though, i set up wireless internet outside my house (in a ring fashion) so i can have my comp rigth there to help me.....
nebreitling
do your own valves. it's quite straightfoward, though a minor pita until you get the process down.

double check your work the first few times, though. (see above pic)
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 19 2005, 05:02 PM)
true dat....will you all help me double-check valve clearances..? another first for me....Lucky for me though, i set up wireless internet outside my house (in a ring fashion) so i can have my comp rigth there to help me.....

sure, just do as the instructions for adjusting your vales said, as posted a few weeks ago... that is the procedure for checking, as well as adjusting...

if it's is a little tight... adjust it properly, with the engine cold as always, and then drive it a while, and let it cool overnight, check it again(do this a few times)... 1)if it got tight again... you got problems.. 2)if it's tight now, and is ok after driving it and checking it a few times, maybe the last adjustment was just a little off... and you'll be fine...
bd1308
you mean the Captn's instructions
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 19 2005, 05:11 PM)
you mean the Captn's instructions

yep, those work, or use the pelican article if you like it better... either one, as long as it's done...
bd1308
printed out the ENTIRE thread...12 pages of it...i love miles' comment about the oil additive...
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 19 2005, 03:02 PM)

a little advice...if you are serious about becoming an ME, you have to get more hands on with your car and projects, don't be afraid to screw up and make mistakes, you won't learn cr@p just reading about it and asking questions or guidance for this and that, sure it might be nice to have someone show you something or help drop the engine, but will you really learn from it????.....if you have any bit of common sense, then you'll be fine and not totally FUBAR the car..........
SpecialK
Mike makes a valid point there huh.gif ...

Of all of the ME's (actually Aeronautical) I've worked with, and there's a bunch, the only ones that could come up with "workable" dispositions to non-conformance conditions were the "Motorheads". You just get a better grasp of how things work [and how to fix them] when you're getting your hands dirty. smash.gif
bd1308
you all have a fine point....i just need to get in there.....I'll check my valves this weekend, i know i won't mess up....I usually don't and I have fun learning in the process.....Valid point....Engine drop during summer.....mid-may party at my place so i can meet 914 people...i'm SO sick of hearing people who "owned a 914 long ago" or "raced them in the 70s"......yeah I'll get my hands dirty....yeah smile.gif Thanks guys for the pick me up!!!!! biggrin.gif
redshift
blink.gif

Curt you suck!

There should be a huge blank space between the last post... and the part that makes me barf... barf.gif with a warning.. nuke.gif so I don't have to go eat... chowtime.gif again.

I have seen something like that.. and worse!

Oh my... icon8.gif

Oh, and not adjusting your valves, at least twice a week, makes baby Jesus cry.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.