Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front 5 bolt hub question..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
Hello everyone,

I'm bolting together a 5-bolt front conversion.
I have early and late style aluminum hubs to choose from. I didn't know there was a difference previously, but see this now.

Is there an advantage to the late style hub over the early style? Why did the factory make the change?

P.S. (I'm leaning towards using the early so that it matches my racecar and I can steal parts if needed in the future)

TIA
brant
fuch toy
The caliper spacing. You can't use the modern calipers on an early 911 front end w/o modifying the ears for attachments. SC front ends are the ones most used.

Early ones are like the stock 914/6 front ends have 3 inch spacing....
brant
I'm using the late strut either way....
but my question is about the aluminum hub.

When I hold all of the parts beside each other, I notice that the late hub has a different grease cap and different housing around the grease cap. I checked the part numbers and they take the same bearings...

So I'm wondering if this is a cosmetic change or if there is an advantage/difference in the actual aluminum hub.

brant
JFJ914
Since you have both sets, use the later larger grease cap set and sell the early NLA set to a CW. The only difference is the gerase cap size.

John Jentz
brant
So John,

there is no performance or real reason?

I have early hubs on my vintage race car, so I'll keep the early style as spares.. (I lost one hub already on the race car)....

brant
JFJ914
I can't think of any reason except isn't later always better?
They both have hubcentric rings don't they?

John
mr914
Personally, I would go with the later style. For the better bolt spacing.

But on the other hand. If you can buy a complete set of front spindles/brakes for $100 like I did. Go for the early ones.

Just my 2cents rolling.gif
brant
thanks john,
and later is often better but in this case WHY...
I guess there is no answer about why.

mr.914, what do you mean better bolt spacing. The bolt spacing on the hubs looks the same? Do you mean that the struts have spacing to accept later calipers?..... Just to clarify. I have 4 (5 bolt) struts... 2 early and 2 late... I'm going with later struts, but my question is about the differences in the early and late hubs...

forget it..
I'm tired and its been a hard day.
sorry if this comes across as less than friendly.

good night
brant
TimT
The hubs are different, and the spindles are different

early spindle/hubs use smaller diameter diameter-fine thread clamping nuts.

late spindle/hubs use larger diameter-coarse thread clamping nuts.

The bearings are the same

you can use a late hub on early spindle, but not a early hub on a late spindle ( well you can turn them on a lathe to make them work)

I have a surplus of early hubs so I machine them to work on late spindles...

beerchug.gif
brant
Tim,

thank you for the info..
that makes since, and I feared some incompatibility.
thank you
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.