Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alignment tool?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrpspddrvr
Hey all. Just got my baby aligned after the strut install this weekend (which, other than my slight moment of panic, went very well, thank you!). Unfortunately, the guys at the local shop (very nice, straight-up, honest guys) just didn't have the proper tool for the camber and caster adjustment. Where would I find one of these? How much does it cost? I checked PP, and found a 911 one.....??? Would that work?
My camber's only off by 1.3 degrees negative, so maybe.... I dunno. I'll have to check back over all the alignment reccomendation posts.

WOO! MY CAR FRIKKIN' ROCKS!! driving.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif
Joe Ricard
By off 1.3 degrees do you mean differing from side to side!!!!????? That's bad
If you mean each side is set at 1.3 degrees negative THAT'S VERY GOOD. Specially for Kumho R tires. I managed a little more than that 1.7 or so with welt camber plates.
wrpspddrvr
No, not differing. 1.3 degrees neg on each side. I thought it sounded pretty good, from what I'd remembered.
It is, however, a street car....
Then again, in 3 weeks school will be out, and the only time I'll be driving it is for fun (WOO!). Who gives a shit about tire wear if I only put 100 miles a week on it?

Cole monkeydance.gif
anthony
Make your own camber gauge:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...hl=camber+gauge

Dave_Darling
The tools for changing camber would be a set of wrenches. You loosen the bolts on top of the front strut tower (some may be Allen bolts, often one or more are replaced with regular hex-head bolts) and move the top of the strut around until you get it where you want it. On the rear, you remove the three bolts holding the outer trailing arm mount to the chassis (caution--use lots of penetrating oil; remove the plastic caps on top of the weld-nuts and get more oil in there!) and add/remove shims until you get the camber you want.

As for measuring, you can use a carpenter's level and a measuring tape if you're motivated. Or you can get a fancy digital "angle finder" and use that. Or the fancy angle finder and bracket, which is the Smart Camber measuring tool. Which works on 911s or 914s.

--DD
wrpspddrvr
I'd bet the wrench used for the plate under the top rubber bushings is the tool the guy was talking about. I used a monkey wrench...??
I'll try and do it myself if I need to. It sounds like fun! Thanks Dave! I think this is the first post of mine you've responded to! Woo! Finally a valid question! aktion035.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif
Dave_Darling
Naaah, just the first one that someone else hasn't answered as well as or better than I could'a. biggrin.gif

--DD
john rogers
As Dave said you just need some wrenches and download the alignment article I wrote on the Bird Board. You will need a carpenter's square and a 6 inch rule and you can do the camber your self. There are conversions for the reading difference between the bottom and top of the rim and convert to degrees. There is also picts on how to make a toe gauge out of some sheet aluminum. I take that stuff and a print of the artiicle to the races with me and check once during the weekend. At Tecate I checked after every session.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.