Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side air scoop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche-tom
I made some side air scoop that might interest some of you beer3.gif first i made my template
Click to view attachment

porsche-tom
Cut out with a jig saw and sanded. Added scoop with mesh
Click to view attachment
porsche-tom
Here is a pic of it came out(don't mind the primer and flare cut out) it will be going to the oil cooler
Click to view attachment
draganc
Well done! Where did you find/buy the scoop?
porsche-tom
NACA you can find them on ebay
Olympic 914
Wouldn't the mesh covering cause the air to flow right over the inlet?

porsche-tom
I used an air gun and blew in the direction the wind should be going and I felt a good amount of air(I'm sure it restricts it a little)
tomh
What are we cooling with these?
euro911
Nice. IIRC, Elliot Cannon also runs one similar to that.

I'd like to shoot some cool air to my oil cooler too. What are the dimensions of the duct (allowing it to fit in the rocker)?
porschetub
QUOTE(tomh @ Oct 17 2016, 04:48 PM) *

What are we cooling with these?

agree.gif ,needs to be a good answer lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
porsche-tom
The actual opening is 2.5in the total width is 5in . No matter which one you get it will need trimmed
maf914
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Oct 16 2016, 05:47 PM) *

Wouldn't the mesh covering cause the air to flow right over the inlet?

I was thinking the same thing. That mesh appears to be very tight with a low percentage of open area. The air flow direction is basically parallel to the surface of the mesh and it appears the air will simply flow past the inlet. There is no reason for it to make a right angle turn through the mesh. I am no aerodynamicist laugh.gif but I think the mesh may be defeating the design intent of the NACA inlet. idea.gif

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/naca_duct.html
porsche-tom
Like I said I used a air gun parallel to the car and felt a lot of air. I like the mesh it makes it a little more subtle. But to each their own
Porschef
This has worked great for me, from Racer Wholesale. A little epoxy and BBQ paint, connected to the oil cooler.

Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Porschef @ Oct 17 2016, 07:38 AM) *

This has worked great for me, from Racer Wholesale. A little epoxy and BBQ paint, connected to the oil cooler.

Click to view attachment

Now to figure out the airflow, tape a bit of yarn just inside the opening, get someone to video it out of the passenger window as you run up in speed....
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Porschef @ Oct 17 2016, 07:38 AM) *

This has worked great for me, from Racer Wholesale. A little epoxy and BBQ paint, connected to the oil cooler...

That looks GREAT, I may think about something like that if I need more airflow for my rear cooler once I install it.
JustinMeier
Holy moly.. This may be the solution to my issue!

Beats moving the oil cooler to the front and it's sorta stylish. sunglasses.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Oct 17 2016, 11:32 AM) *

Holy moly.. This may be the solution to my issue!

Beats moving the oil cooler to the front and it's sorta stylish. sunglasses.gif

Oil coolers belong in the front until you hit something. driving.gif headbang.gif
Had a set up just like that, no mesh and with a scoop on the duct. At the track will were still seeing temps over 255°. Moved it to the front, 215°.
Do it once and go front.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Oct 17 2016, 12:46 PM) *

Oil coolers belong in the front until you hit something. driving.gif headbang.gif
Had a set up just like that, no mesh and with a scoop on the duct. At the track will were still seeing temps over 255°. Moved it to the front, 215°.
Do it once and go front.

I have a habit of shooting the messenger.. ar15.gif

Ok, fine.. Winter project cheer.gif
Rand
Anyone concerned with air flow could omit the screen or use expanded metal as course as the engine lid screen. No big.

In a vertical orientation, is there really a need to be concerned with debris getting in there?
SirAndy
QUOTE(porsche-tom @ Oct 16 2016, 05:57 PM) *
Here is a pic of it came out(don't mind the primer and flare cut out) it will be going to the oil cooler

How does your "scoop" actually scoop air?
Are you relying on the other end to create negative pressure?

Because that sure doesn't look like a high pressure area that would force air into the scoop.
idea.gif
Rand
To Andy's point (and I'm just asking to learn)...

I thought the shape of NACA ducts moved air by design when it's moving at sufficient speed. (Whereas a simple hole/vent wouldn't.) Unless the destination side was enough higher pressure to stop it (maybe that's the crux?), it should still move air? Considering the engine cooling fan is always moving air through the engine compartment, is it still significantly higher enough pressure on the inside to negate the NACA?
idea.gif
Front yard mechanic
It doesn't matter it it works if it looks that cool aktion035.gif
Rand
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Oct 17 2016, 04:49 PM) *

tooth.gif
SirAndy

I guess that attitude is the difference between a front yard mechanic and a back yard mechanic?
idea.gif poke.gif laugh.gif
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 17 2016, 04:09 PM) *

I guess that attitude is the difference between a front yard mechanic and a back yard mechanic?
idea.gif poke.gif laugh.gif

I have always liked to piss off the home owners association lol-2.gif
iwanta914-6
On a flared rocker like this, wouldn't it make more sense to move it further back and use the flared portion to create a nice scoop that air can easily enter? Similar to the Ferrari F40...

http://www.assettocorsa.net/wp-content/upl...13/03/f4021.jpg
JmuRiz
...and the Berlinetta Boxer had it on the non-flared lower fenders. If Ferrari put it there from 1973 to 1992 with the F40, it must have made some kind of sense.
IPB Image
effutuo101
My plan is to route the air from the hood using the heater tubes to push more cool air into the engine bay.
Porschef
I haven't done any aerodynamic/wind tunnel/yarn testing, but I will say that the oil temps have never exceeded 220° (being generous) since installing the oil cooler. I've got the small, single fan Setrab unit located starboard of the tranny, with a custom shroud that I fabricated from some leftover ductwork, which is fed by a 2" hose from the NACA duct. The fan only goes on when I'm sitting in traffic for a while.

Prior to this install, the engine would hit 240° and remain heat soaked until I slowed down/ got off the highway. And it would take a little while to drop down to normal.

Pretty much all the testing I need to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.