Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
tygaboy
Next, it was time to add these rings that help seal the exhaust as it enters the muffler. The only thing left is to add the tabs and springs to help hold things in place.
914forme
Chris, did you purchase the Boxster Trans mount, or build it?
tygaboy
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 15 2018, 06:37 PM) *

Hi Stephen - It’s Renegade. I went with their LS and Boxster 6-speed kits. I’m a fan of “buy vs build, if it’s available...”
Though I did mod the front mount and added those spacers to move the whole drive train forward 1.5”.
tygaboy
Made a little tool / fixture to hold the spring tabs at the correct distance and angle. This is clamped to the exhaust tube and muffler then the tabs are welded on.
tygaboy
Then used that tool to install the tabs and complete the muffler install. Turned out pretty tidy.
914forme
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 15 2018, 09:52 PM) *

Hi Stephen - It’s Renegade. I went with their LS and Boxster 6-speed kits. I’m a fan of “buy vs build, if it’s available...”
Though I did mod the front mount and added those spacers to move the whole drive train forward 1.5”.

Broke the warranty, would not expect anything less.

I like the tool, I would have just V banded them nice tight seal and done. What is the reasoning behind the springs? I never had much luck with them.
tygaboy
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 22 2018, 05:44 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 15 2018, 09:52 PM) *

Broke the warranty, would not expect anything less.

I like the tool, I would have just V banded them nice tight seal and done. What is the reasoning behind the springs? I never had much luck with them.

Stephen - It makes more sense when you see the whole install. With the muffler mounted to the trans, the whole engine/trans/exhaust is sorta one piece. There are v-bands at the junction of the headers and the exhaust tube. I actually got v-bands but decided on the spring approach to allow for a little movement, just in case.
I can always update to something else, if for some reason this doesn't work out.
whitetwinturbo
.......watching your cool and skillfuf work may be tedious to you BUT it is addictive to us gearheads beer3.gif
Matty900
Click to view attachment

Love seeing your progress, talent and passion. beerchug.gif
Please tell me that hand formed Porsche Crest will be your hood ornament drooley.gif
tygaboy
Finally, something new: I got some of the parts finish coated.
The exhaust tubes and muffler mount have been ceramic coated. The shop that did it does mostly guns but is seeing more requests for exhausts.
The color is a nice titanium that has a sort of very light metal flake to it.

The parts look great and what a nice change from all the bare metal and rust! laugh.gif
This thing may turn out looking pretty cool after all...
Dion
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 7 2018, 02:53 PM) *

Finally, something new: I got some of the parts finish coated.
The exhaust tubes and muffler mount have been ceramic coated. The shop that did it does mostly guns but is seeing more requests for exhausts.
The color is a nice titanium that has a sort of very light metal flake to it.

The parts look great and what a nice change from all the bare metal and rust! laugh.gif
This thing may turn out looking pretty cool after all...

Now that’s some wicked looking metal.
Very cool Chris! aktion035.gif
Mueller
Great looking coatings..... best part of the coatings is that the odds of you changing your mind/design are lessened. smile.gif
Dion
[quote the odds of you changing your mind/design are lessened. smile.gif
[/quote]
poke.gif lol-2.gif
Krieger
The looks really good Chris!
bbrock
Well now you'll need to add a Lexan trunk floor to the Lexan firewall to show off those pretty pieces. At this rate, you might as well replace all the body sheet metal with acrylic so all these goodies can shine through!
tygaboy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 7 2018, 06:33 PM) *

Great looking coatings..... best part of the coatings is that the odds of you changing your mind/design are lessened. smile.gif

Key word: "lessened" shades.gif

Thanks to all for the compliments.

I'm really looking forward to getting the entire chassis blasted and in one color, even if it's primer. Seeing other builds move into that state makes me think my car will suddenly feel much closer to being, um, well... Let's go with "complete" running. I don't ever seeing it being "done".
tygaboy
Today's progress: Started on the plasma table.
tygaboy
The part needs to be stepped up in the middle and I was able to find what turned out to be the perfect press set up. What are the odds?
tygaboy
Carefully set the piece in the press with the appropriate sized "helper" pieces.
tygaboy
The press is a beast and makes quick work of this sort of thing.
tygaboy
I couldn't resist adding some additional strength and style points.
Mueller
Very creative there!
tygaboy
Weld on the nuts...
tygaboy
And, it's in!
tygaboy
Reservoir in place. I like the way it turned out.
Mueller
^strange place to have your bottle opener smile.gif
Andyrew
That 16ga? What kind of press do you have? Piece looks great!
tygaboy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 25 2018, 06:10 PM) *

That 16ga? What kind of press do you have? Piece looks great!

Thanks Andrew!
I used 18 ga. The press is the one that was sitting next to the bender we used on your cage bars. The pump that powers the bender has dry break connectors that also hook to the press so in about 10 seconds, I have a giant powered press!

Let me know if you need anything squashed! smash.gif
Andyrew
I have sheers/presses at my disposal from the people that make our frames.

They sheer 1/8" stock with it and the things 15ft tall and 20 tons! Apparently it has 3' thick concrete underneath it.

I just know how big those machines can be which is why I asked as I didn't remember seeing one at your shop!

That Fab piece is awesome smile.gif I'm sure that press is going to come in handy very soon for some of the trick stuff. If YOU want anything heavier duty pressed or sheered let me know. smile.gif

914forme
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 25 2018, 08:01 PM) *

See you been spying on my thread again shades.gif I like the mount why did you choose that location? I am just wondering, as I put mine closer to the stock area, so the over filled fluid can run done the fresh paint and start the 914 conversion to rust process all over again. huh.gif

poke.gif Start working on the solid roof section poke.gif I have my ideas in my head as to how to do it, just would prefer you to burn the stack of metal that comes from doing the work 3-6 times to get it just right. aktion035.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 26 2018, 07:39 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 25 2018, 08:01 PM) *

See you been spying on my thread again shades.gif I like the mount why did you choose that location? I am just wondering, as I put mine closer to the stock area, so the over filled fluid can run done the fresh paint and start the 914 conversion to rust process all over again. huh.gif

poke.gif Start working on the solid roof section poke.gif I have my ideas in my head as to how to do it, just would prefer you to burn the stack of metal that comes from doing the work 3-6 times to get it just right. aktion035.gif

Stephen - I located it there because the chassis stiffening bars I ran to the front shock towers sort of prevent me using the space where the stock reservoir lived.
The roof will likely not start to happen until after I have it on the road. I want to focus on getting it running.
tygaboy
Next, it was time to make a panel to close off where the late model cars mount the fuel pump. I'll use this as the passage for the reservoir hoses to the pedal assembly.

I started off by cutting a simple panel with the appropriate holes for the hoses.

A few grommets and I'm done...
tygaboy
That looked OK but I figured I could do better so decided to make a die for the press that would allow me to raise the section around the hose holes.

I plasma cut a couple pieces of 10 ga and marked them so I could align everything once it was all in the press.
tygaboy
Into the press and out comes a tidy little part!
And yes, I installed the grommets AFTER pressing... poke.gif
tygaboy
A couple more items checked off the to-do list.
914forme
Chris a question for you, are you clamping the sheet before pressing like you would if you where hammer forming? Just wondering how your get a nice finished part. Or is it a bit rough and the run it through a planning hammer or lots of hammer and dolly work. Wheel them, just wondering wanting to learn a bit.
tygaboy
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 26 2018, 06:44 PM) *

Chris a question for you, are you clamping the sheet before pressing like you would if you where hammer forming? Just wondering how your get a nice finished part. Or is it a bit rough and the run it through a planning hammer or lots of hammer and dolly work. Wheel them, just wondering wanting to learn a bit.

Stephen - I measure and mark the panel so I know how to position it over the "open" lower die. Then I set that "insert" piece on top of the panel, doing my best to align those cross marks, and then press it, forcing that insert down into the panel, creating the raised section. The press does all the stretching and flattens the part all at the same time. No secondary operations needed.

I figured someone might be interested so... here's the video of the part being made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G16Q0V4LXww

And @Andyrew , there's a good look at the press you were asking about.
Andyrew
Nice! I remember that being there. It's able to do anlog more than I thought it would!!
tygaboy
Sharpie transfer punch, a few holes, find some suitable screws and it's all done.
tygaboy
Then moved on to making a new plate to mount the in-tank fuel pump. This will get welded to the tank in place of the filler, which will be relocated.
Using the plasma table really does feel like cheating.
tygaboy
It'll go about here. I'll be ordering a new tank, too.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 2 2018, 06:45 AM) *

Then moved on to making a new plate to mount the in-tank fuel pump. This will get welded to the tank in place of the filler, which will be relocated.

Nice Chris-

If using a plasma table makes you a feel like a cheater, I'm like Kent. A repeat offender relying on some of my shop talent when pressed. Your creativity is mind blowing. Love this thread.

Oscar

@76-914
tygaboy
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 2 2018, 06:52 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 2 2018, 06:45 AM) *

Nice Chris-

If using a plasma table makes you a feel like a cheater, I'm like Kent. A repeat offender relying on some of my shop talent when pressed. Your creativity is mind blowing. Love this thread.

Oscar

@76-914

Oscar -
You are too kind... Thanks for the generous compliment.
tygaboy
More panel fab. This time, its the piece that'll serve as the front bulkhead for the fuel lines.
I'm figuring out better processes for pressing the raised sections:
I cut the female piece sized exactly the same as the panel. Then I just sharpied where the male piece needs to sit. Much simpler to set up and virtually guarantees a great result.
tygaboy
PRESS and...
Presto! (see what I did there? laugh.gif )

Turned out nicely.
tygaboy
Next, it's time to fit the fittings to see how they fit. Hoping they won't give me fits.... wait, what?
tygaboy
Just set in place to see what's what. The panel will sit a bit higher once it's bolted in, but you get the idea.
tygaboy
And the tank side. It'll be soft lines from here up to the pump. One supply, one return.
914forme
Okay I got it, the picture left out one detail, the upper upper die, or that flat piece that sets onto of the 10ga plate that presses down.

I like the setup here, and the bulk head for the fuel lines. Same general setup going inlace at the back of the cabin?

And if you think a plasma table is cheating then keep right on doing it, as the end product is worth the "cheat".
tygaboy
"Tunnel Vision"

The stiffening plate at the front is 10 ga - thick enough to support threads. So a quick mark/drill/tap and the bulkhead is finished.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.