Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
tygaboy
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 2 2018, 02:49 PM) *

Okay I got it, the picture left out one detail, the upper upper die, or that flat piece that sets onto of the 10ga plate that presses down.

I like the setup here, and the bulk head for the fuel lines. Same general setup going inlace at the back of the cabin?

And if you think a plasma table is cheating then keep right on doing it, as the end product is worth the "cheat".

Thanks Stephen. Yep, I'm laying out the rear bulkhead now. It's more complicated as it has to support the fuel lines, brake and clutch lines and throttle cable. Should be fun to make, though. Pics as I get to it...
Thanks again!
Curbandgutter
Chris love how your project is coming out. Saw your Tilton pedal assembly....excellent. Loved your magnetic brake and how you did that 1" radius. All that incredible work on that firewall.....my goodness. pray.gif pray.gif Loved your rear trunk/hood and how it opens backward. I may steal that idea. shades.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 2 2018, 07:45 AM) *

Using the plasma table really does feel like cheating.

The only thing wrong with using a plasma table is that it fuels my tool envy. icon8.gif
I seriously love seeing this quality of fabrication and attention to detail. pray.gif
914dave

it’s a pleasure to watch you exercise your fabrication skills!!!
tygaboy
I really appreciate all the kind words. I'll keep posting the details...

Today it was the rear bulkhead. I decided to try a multi-area raise:
one for the fuel lines and throttle cable and one each for the hydraulics (brake line and clutch). Note the only holes that are cut to approximate size are the fuel lines. I'll come back to the others later in the process.

So, first I designed the panel and cut it. I'm using 18 ga. for these sorts of parts.
Then determined the shapes and locations for the raised areas and cut the dies. For this, it's 10 ga. It seems that gives a nice dimension for the raise.
I cut the male parts first, came back and cut the female sections then cut the outline.
tygaboy
Then, set the female part on top of the panel and trace the locations of each opening.
tygaboy
Assemble the set up for the press:

Female die, then the panel, then the male dies (placed as symmetrically as I can get them!)

I also ran into what I hoped wouldn't be an issue:
I don't have press plates that are large enough to cover this whole piece.
So I figured "what the heck, it's only metal..." and I tried a two-step operation.

First I stamped the dog bone shape, then came back and stamped the two circles.

It worked great!
tygaboy
Set in place, just to see how it'll work. Looks good to me.

And I have to say, this all happened with no "practice pieces". Famous last words, but I think I'm starting to figure this out.
tygaboy
A quick mock up of the fittings.
worn
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 3 2018, 04:48 PM) *

A quick mock up of the fittings.

Yep. But you oughta make a bunch of them maybe. While you are at it. Nice.
tygaboy
Not much progress lately as my wife and I just returned from a week at Cycle Oregon. ~400 miles on our road tandem. Great weather, challenging routes and a wonderful group of people. All you bicyclists should check it out...

Back to the build: There are so many things to do... I decided to go after prepping the fuel tank. Here's the in-tank pump plate nearly ready for welding.
tygaboy
The pump I'm running (Aeromotive Phantom 340) has a large piece of foam that sits in its own perforated, rubber-ish "sump". Anyway, this contraption interfered with the stock tank's internal baffling so I sliced out the bottom of the tank to remove it and create the needed clearance.
You can see the "small hole" I now need to close up!
Krieger
Looking good! Dang, perfectly cut replacement panel...
914forme
Nice work Chris. I'm starting to think we ( as in you ) need to start doing videos of this.

I would gladly be the videographer for this project. Have a access to a couple of 4K cameras and a sling studio so we could stream this work live.

drooley.gif

Sorry all if I get distracted and you miss so of the action or all of the action, you would understand. confused24.gif

I would get the test stream setup, before I got distracted and started to watch Chris work, and all you all get shots of is the floor or ceiling. I know everyone would understand. confused24.gif
Dion
Nice to see ya back, but yeah you deserved a break! That tank panel is slick.
Tuned in for more.

tygaboy
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 23 2018, 08:25 AM) *

Nice work Chris. I'm starting to think we ( as in you ) need to start doing videos of this.

I would gladly be the videographer for this project. Have a access to a couple of 4K cameras and a sling studio so we could stream this work live.

drooley.gif

Sorry all if I get distracted and you miss so of the action or all of the action, you would understand. confused24.gif

I would get the test stream setup, before I got distracted and started to watch Chris work, and all you all get shots of is the floor or ceiling. I know everyone would understand. confused24.gif

Thanks Stephen. I can do video so I'll try and remember to do that going forward. In the meantime, it sounds like some folks want more detail on the "how" parts. So I'll provide a bit more on info on how I finalized the fuel filler plate...
tygaboy
What you couldn't see in the earlier pics is that one of the corners of the plate needs to curve to match the profile of the tank. I hadn't started on that yet.

So first, I did a rough bend to get that corner closer to the correct shape. This allows for a more accurate scribe/cut line. If I tried to scribe the cut line before I bent the corner, I'd end up removing too much material - the corner will "fall inward" as it's bent down, meaning I need more material there.
tygaboy
Then I applied some Dykem. Mostly to make the scribe line show up better in the pics, but it does make things easier to see.

Then I use the handy dandy Harbor Freight body saw to make a rough cut.

I just want to get close with this cut.
tygaboy
Next, it's the drum sander to take the opening to the line.
tygaboy
Finally, it's "fit, drum sand, fit, tweak the corner bend, fit, drum sand..." until things slip into place and I'm happy with the fit.

Done and done!

There is usually a bit of minor tweaking, maybe some hammer and dolly, as the welding is happening, just to get the edges aligned as cleanly as possible.
tygaboy
It wouldn't be in keeping with my build if I didn't do something at least twice. So why would I expect this to be any different? dry.gif

After removing the stock sump via cutting a large hole in the bottom of the tank, I was able to see how it's attached to the tank. Turns out I could have just drilled out four spot welds. Easier to start over with another tank!

This one had a bit of pocky rust starting on one spot so I figured I'd patch it. I probably
could have just treated it but I'd rather have clean material. Here's what needs to be closed up.
tygaboy
And here's the same filler panel (weld through primered) fitted to the "new" tank. You can see the spot weld holes I need to fill. Far simpler than the patch I'd have had to do to the other tank.

Plus, this one's far cleaner on the inside and out.
restore2seater
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 23 2018, 03:38 PM) *

It wouldn't be in keeping with my build if I didn't do something at least twice. So why would I expect this to be any different? dry.gif

After removing the stock sump via cutting a large hole in the bottom of the tank, I was able to see how it's attached to the tank. Turns out I could have just drilled out four spot welds. Easier to start over with another tank!

This one had a bit of pocky rust starting on one spot so I figured I'd patch it. I probably
could have just treated it but I'd rather have clean material. Here's what needs to be closed up.

Pocky? confused24.gif
Had to look that one up. Japanese snack food?
tygaboy
Patch in place...
tygaboy
Fuel pump plate welded in. Still need to fill the spot weld holes and the original fuel in/outlets but I feel like I made some progress this weekend!
tygaboy
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Sep 23 2018, 07:09 PM) *

Pocky? confused24.gif

I was going for "pock mark-ish". You know, pocky!
restore2seater
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 23 2018, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(restore2seater @ Sep 23 2018, 07:09 PM) *

Pocky? confused24.gif

I was going for "pock mark-ish". You know, pocky!

Well, I guess you're into fabrication so....
tygaboy
Next up is relocating the fuel filler.
Rough cut of the mounting plate fresh off the plasma table to check placement...
tygaboy
I'm running a Holley HP ECU so I figured they deserved at least a little bit of credit.
It's actually quite a nice piece.
worn
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 2 2018, 06:52 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 2 2018, 06:45 AM) *

Then moved on to making a new plate to mount the in-tank fuel pump. This will get welded to the tank in place of the filler, which will be relocated.
Using the plasma table really does feel like cheating.

Nice Chris-

If using a plasma table makes you a feel like a cheater, I'm like Kent. A repeat offender relying on some of my shop talent when pressed. Your creativity is mind blowing. Love this thread.

Oscar

@76-914

To me it certainly is cheating. But that is because I don’t have the table but you do. I say cheat em while you can.
FourBlades

This is such a great build. It is a learning experience to follow it! first.gif

I never knew I needed a plasma table but there is no doubt now. biggrin.gif

I need to try making some pieces with my manual press...

Did you mig or tig weld that panel onto the tank?

John
tygaboy
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Sep 29 2018, 05:07 AM) *

This is such a great build. It is a learning experience to follow it! first.gif

I never knew I needed a plasma table but there is no doubt now. biggrin.gif

I need to try making some pieces with my manual press...

Did you mig or tig weld that panel onto the tank?

John

Hi John - Thanks for the compliments. It true - everyone needs a plasma table... or a friend who has one!
I'm really pleased by what the press can do. Give it a go, you'll be surprised!

Just be careful or you'll end up like me: I have so much fun messing about with designing the parts and playing with the tools, experimenting, etc., that it takes forever to make actual progress on the build.

But to me, it's about the journey, not the destination.

And that panel was TIG welded.
tygaboy
For this location and application, I wanted the plate to be flat across its entire surface so I added a small eyebrow to close the gap where the tank rolls over.
tygaboy
Then it's the same drill as before: scribe, body saw to cut the rough opening, drum sand 'til it fits.
Hope to get it welded in tomorrow.
tygaboy
Just getting a feel for how it'll all layout, which way to orient the pump / run the fuel and vent lines, etc.
tygaboy
Doing what I can to disappear the welds. Should look pretty good after powder coat.
tygaboy
Big gulp all done...
tygaboy
On to the hydraulics. I have to get the reservoir lines into the cockpit as the Tilton pedal M/Cs live right on the back of the assembly.

So first version is figure where to drill the hole, drill it, install grommet and install the first line.

Simple enough. But I'm not sure I like the 90 degree bend.
tygaboy
So, just to see, I fabbed up a panel that adds an angle and used 45 degree fittings.
This solution would be more work but I do like it. We shall see...
tygaboy
Mocked into place. I'd weld in end panels to fully close things off.
tygaboy
Whichever way I go with the hose routing, this is essentially final layout for the reservoir. Hoses not pushed all the way on as they are no fun to remove...
bbrock
There you go just cobbling stuff together without thinking about the details again. lol-2.gif
I admit, I thought you were insane until I saw the pick of your 45 degree bracket. That does look nicer and I assume less strain on the hose. smilie_pokal.gif
914forme
Why do I check this thread headbang.gif

Great work as usual Chris. pray.gif

Now to get my stuff done so I can get back to my builds.
914forme
BTW, love the drivers side gas fill.
tygaboy
Thanks guys. It's always a motivation helper to get feedback, good (and otherwise!)

So thinking about the design of this panel got me wondering if I could get a little fancier and pull off a nicer final piece. After all, if I haven't given it at least three tries, I know I'm not done yet... laugh.gif

So, what's going on here?
tygaboy
It struck me that if I redesigned the panel like above, and if I got my bends right, those tabs would end up touching and I'd have a much tidier outer edge.

And it worked! cheer.gif
tygaboy
My TIG welding is coming along and these little pieces are great practice, ahead of tackling the flares.

With the tabs joined, all I had to do was cut a little triangle and weld it in. I still haven't totally dressed the weld but you get the idea.

I'm happy with how it turned out.
tygaboy
Mock up, just to see it in place.
Matty900
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 2 2018, 01:28 PM) *

And the tank side. It'll be soft lines from here up to the pump. One supply, one return.

Looking good as always Chris.
You may want to consider 45's on this depending on the length of the hose to the tank and I am assuming pump. If you use Gates hose and have too much it likes to kink. If you use SS Braided hose, it will be stiffer to deal with but shouldn't kink. It will just be a little fun getting the lengths right.
Keep up the good work beerchug.gif
Dion
Chris, that hydraulic line set up is awesome.
Love the tig work. Really fantastic. I think NASA would
approve! Keep at it man. I need to apprentice under your guidance.
Cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.