Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
tygaboy
Today was about closing up the main hoop and fire wall.
I started with this little spot above the fire wall arch.
First, cut a paper template (and remember to account for the flanges!)
Then I used the bead roller to fold the flanges.
tygaboy
Here's the template and the finished piece.

It's funny, I talked with Tony (Cracker) today and we laughed about how these build threads show all the pics but there's no real evidence of just how much work it takes to get from what was to what now is.

All told, this little piece took me about 2 hours to make.
tygaboy
...but it turned out quite nicely! beerchug.gif
tygaboy
I was feeling pretty good about fabbing sheet metal so I figured I may as well get started on the inner fire wall.
Template, metal shears, fit, fit, fit and...

Well, OK... There will be some more fitting. But it's looking good so far.

Next is laying out and rolling in some sort of bead to help it resist oil canning and to add some visual appeal.
Andyrew
Looking good!!!!

That extra clearance for the pulley will just make it easier to replace the belt...
Krieger
That looks really good Chris! You are very talented at fabrication! Fred and Wilma are going to love it!
tygaboy
Did the final trimming and fitting of the lower fire wall. The electric shears are awesome and make quick work of getting a clean cut right to the mark.

Got the final flange bent across the top. Happy with the fit.
tygaboy
Here a shot of the fire wall and how it's fit with the little filler piece made earlier. Almost looks like I know what I'm doing...!
tygaboy
Next I started on the boxing in of the main roll hoop, this time on the engine side.
I made paper templates to figure the location of the holes then used the dimple die to pretty them up.

These slide up out of the way to allow for the hoop to be welded to the pads that are welded to the longs. Then these slide into place and get welded in as part of boxing in the engine mounts.

Can't tell you what a relief it is to fit the second on and actually have it all fit!

Remember, this is the first time I've tried virtually any of this sort of fabrication and I hope it encourages anyone who's thinking of giving it a go. I just take my time, measure 100 times and only post pics of when it actually works out! lol-2.gif
cali914
Very nice I wish I could weld like that.
tygaboy
Continuing work on fabbing the parts needed to close in the roll hoop. I made up the front 1/2 of the "cap" on the passenger side.
tygaboy
Then I started on the final part. Here's a look at how I approach making the paper template. Once this is fitting as desired, it's transferred to 18 gauge and formed / trimmed til it fits. Easy, no? sunglasses.gif

Well, except then I get to (try and) make a mirror image for the other side. That's always the "interesting" part...
tygaboy
The ADD kicked in again and I got distracted with other areas of the car. I've been debating what to do re: keep vs lose the trunk. It would appear I've decided! sawzall-smiley.gif

If you've seen Tony's car, you'll know why I think of this modification as partial "Cracker Replica". laugh.gif Imitation being the sincerest form, and all that.

It certainly eases access to, um, everything!

And yes, there will be roll bar/chassis stiffening added.

This will never be mistaken for a sleeper but I do want to be able to store the top so while I still have trimming to do, I will leave a lip all around the edge as I plan to make a removable "trunk tray/liner" to provide a least some protection for the top.
tygaboy
That darned ADD! Once the trunk was out, I played with an initial design for the console. This essentially gives away the styling cues I'm going with throughout the interior: a very industrial, trellis, open architecture-y look that leaves all the mechanical elements exposed.

A looooooong way yet to go but it gives you the idea.
Cracker
That does look familiar...glad to have you aboard! After seeing your fabrication skills - I am very much looking forward to seeing the greatly enhanced "Cracker Replica" version.
Just make sure the cockpit fits a 6'5" frame (Um, drivers side...)! shades.gif

Happy new-years to you Chris!

Tony

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 30 2016, 04:57 PM) *

That darned ADD! Once the trunk was out, I played with an initial design for the console. This essentially gives away the styling cues I'm going with throughout the interior: a very industrial, trellis, open architecture-y look that leaves all the mechanical elements exposed.

A looooooong way yet to go but it gives you the idea.
napasteve
I don't see how this machine will remain earthbound.......
tygaboy
I did the final trimming of most of the main open area, leaving that lip for the removable cover I'm planning. I still have to remove the front of the trunk wall above and outside of the suspension consoles...

Then I started on fabrication on the stiffeners for between the consoles.

Another arch... Imagine that. The top bar will also serve as the point from which a bracket will extend forward to support the stock engine cover latch.

I'll end up plating around the consoles so neither of these are quite where they'll end up. But close enough for me to determine what I want to do. I have an idea for a panel that will sit between them. It'll add some additional strength as well as visual appeal!
tygaboy
QUOTE(napasteve @ Dec 30 2016, 04:23 PM) *

Well, at the rate I'm going, it'll be earthbound for a while... I'm starting to wonder if the 9/14 date is hopeless. Not that I'm giving up, but... confused24.gif
mb911
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 31 2016, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(napasteve @ Dec 30 2016, 04:23 PM) *

Well, at the rate I'm going, it'll be earthbound for a while... I'm starting to wonder if the 9/14 date is hopeless. Not that I'm giving up, but... confused24.gif

That cutting up and gifting the pieces from the other car took up a bunch of your fab time.

Looking great though and you are further along then I am.
Dion

That cutting up and gifting the pieces from the other car took up a bunch of your fab time.

Looking great though and you are further along then I am.
[/quote]

Totally agree with Ben. However Chris your build is mind blowing.
The shifter console structure is a work of art.
Truly unique approach tying the chassis together in the manner you have.
It will be very cool to see this 914 in motion!
tygaboy
Did the final removal of the trunk and up around the suspension consoles. Then I started fabrication of the plates that will reinforce the consoles in prep for installing the stiffeners.
Man, doing this stuff takes forever... wacko.gif but it REALLY opens things up and allows for optimal location of the rear part of the stiffening bars.

I have an idea for the trans mount cross member, too. Should be pretty neat looking and add some strength.
tygaboy
It's raining in northern CA...
This is our back field. That's about 2.5 ' deep.... and it's flowing.

Kinda scary.

Makes for a good day to immerse myself in more fab work...
tygaboy
With the removal of the trunk sheet metal complete, we get to see a part of our cars I've rarely seen: The point where the long stops and sorta has a wimpy tie into the rear shock towers.

Gotta do something about that.
tygaboy
So I fabbed up a 1/8" plate that I bent and trimmed to fit. Here's an almost final fit.
I'll cap this off with...
tygaboy
... a cap! Again, not the final fit, but you get the idea.
I think I'll box this from the inside edge down to the bottom of the long, making kind of a triangulated box.
napasteve
Any thought to some amphibious car features for the Beast? Might be handy if you need to run to town!
Mueller
Great progress....
Lennies914
Happy New Year Chris!

Love following your progress on the car. You weren't kidding when you said it was going to be "top notch"!

pray.gif pray.gif

Sandy and I would love to come up and see the car this spring.

beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jan 8 2017, 02:51 PM) *

Happy New Year Chris!

Love following your progress on the car. You weren't kidding when you said it was going to be "top notch"!

pray.gif pray.gif

Sandy and I would love to come up and see the car this spring.

beerchug.gif

Hi Lennie! Glad to hear you're enjoying the build. We'd love to see you and Sandy (PM sent).
When you come, plan to stay a while. And bring tools - I need all the help I can get!

Talk soon.
tygaboy
I started messing with the intake. In running the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF), I have to follow a few rules about where the sensor has to be, relative to the throttle body. I need a minimum of 10 inches from the throttle body, six inches of straight tube, the sensor has to be set at between a 9:00 - 3:00 orientation...

So, a bit of a puzzle and a bit of mystery? dry.gif

A puzzle is when you have all the pieces and "just" have to figure out how they fit.
A mystery is "profound, inexplicable, or of secretive quality or character."

I really do have a bit of both going on here: I have some pieces, I have some pieces yet to make.

But I swear, as I start looking at how I'll have to build the intake to meet the above criteria, fit the stiffening bars, run a suitable air cleaner AND make it all fit under the targa top (which needs to somehow still safely store in this area...) ???!?!?!?!?

Well, it's currently a flippin' MYSTERY to me! lol-2.gif Certainly, the "secretive quality" part...

But fear not, World. I will solve it. shades.gif

ps. I'm loving how this is starting to look. That's a 4" intake tube. Small children and pets will need to be careful they aren't sucked in!
Cracker
...ask the engine - it knows the drill! rolleyes.gif

T
tygaboy
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 12 2017, 06:25 PM) *

T

Yeah, except that part about storing the top. You Southerners... always taking the easy way out...

poke.gif
Cracker
I live in the South but am from C-A-L-I-! w00t.gif

Regarding the top - mine would fit if I actually wanted it to Chris. My fist LS conversion I did store it in the trunk on factory clips. No biggie.

T

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 12 2017, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 12 2017, 06:25 PM) *

T

Yeah, except that part about storing the top. You Southerners... always taking the easy way out...

poke.gif
mgp4591
So Southern California, Tony?! shades.gif
Cracker
Sorry Chris - last hi-jack + free bump!

Mom from Thousand Oaks; Dad from Bay area; Conceived (weirdly I know) in between on coast. I am an original "Central" Cali dude! Capiche! shades.gif

Now past my family tree...back to Chris's lame build. poke.gif

T

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jan 13 2017, 04:58 AM) *

So Southern California, Tony?! shades.gif
andys
Chris,

I've been remiss at commenting on your terrific build. Nice work; well thought out. I look forward to reading more as you progress. Keep up the good work!!

Andys
jd74914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 21 2016, 08:42 PM) *

To quote a builder I admire (David Palatov of Palatov Motorsport):

"Clearance is clearance."

Palatov is awesome! He turns out some pretty cool stuff and his blog is second to none.

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 12 2017, 08:30 PM) *

I started messing with the intake. In running the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF), I have to follow a few rules about where the sensor has to be, relative to the throttle body. I need a minimum of 10 inches from the throttle body, six inches of straight tube, the sensor has to be set at between a 9:00 - 3:00 orientation...

How big is that motor? It wants 6" straight upstream then 10" downstream to TB? Interesting. That seems a little restrictive since the air shouldn't be moving super fast so the velocity profile should be pretty uniform. A while ago I actually took a similar style [thermal] sensor and offset mounted it in a duct bend to measure the effective average flow but that took a fair bit of analysis. blink.gif

Maybe just some stiffener tube scalloping would make everything fit nicely. It does look pretty cool now!

Thanks for showing pictures of the end of the long. There is a thread around here with some, but yours show the attachment issue much better.
tygaboy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 13 2017, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 21 2016, 08:42 PM) *

To quote a builder I admire (David Palatov of Palatov Motorsport):

"Clearance is clearance."

Palatov is awesome! He turns out some pretty cool stuff and his blog is second to none.

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 12 2017, 08:30 PM) *

How big is that motor? It wants 6" straight upstream then 10" downstream to TB? Interesting. That seems a little restrictive since the air shouldn't be moving super fast so the velocity profile should be pretty uniform. A while ago I actually took a similar style [thermal] sensor and offset mounted it in a duct bend to measure the effective average flow but that took a fair bit of analysis. blink.gif

Maybe just some stiffener tube scalloping would make everything fit nicely. It does look pretty cool now!

Thanks for showing pictures of the end of the long. There is a thread around here with some, but yours show the attachment issue much better.

It's a 6.2 liter. First, I'm no expert so I'm only quoting what I'm finding on line. Here's a pic of what came with the blade style MAF sensor re: what needs to go where.
Sorry that I wasn't more clear. Shoulda included the pic in the first place...
tygaboy
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 13 2017, 09:14 AM) *

Chris,

I've been remiss at commenting on your terrific build. Nice work; well thought out. I look forward to reading more as you progress. Keep up the good work!!

Andys

Hi Andy - Wow, thanks. Coming from someone who's done such a high quality build... pray.gif
that means a lot.
tygaboy
Feeling boxed in? My rear shock towers are with you!

After a bit more head scratching, I decided to go a different route: I wanted to run one piece of reinforcement from the long up to and around the tower. Since I'm not exactly sure how the removable trunk liner will work, I opted to retain the lip the runs up the tower.

So I sliced a channel for the sheet metal.
tygaboy
Then I made a pattern and fit a piece that slips down into that channel. This is the driver's side, which I just happened to tackle first.

I tacked it in, "persuading" it to wrap the tower, plug welding as I went along.

Then fit and tacked in the top part. It's plug welded, too. I still have to final trim the top part where it wraps the tower. I left it a bit tall for now as I may plate it to the Tangerine Racing raised rear shock towers, once those are installed.

Then I need to add a bottom piece to close in the box and seam weld everything.
tygaboy
Let me back up and show a bit more detail.
Here's the pattern and the trimmed and bent piece, then how it fits before I start tacking and wrapping it around the tower.

Exciting, I know...!
tygaboy
Tacked and plug welding my way around. I use a rubber mallet smash.gif to help get it around the tower. The big clamp sure makes it easy to get the last couple plug welds.
tygaboy
All done and ready for the final trimming before the seams get welded! cheer.gif
tygaboy
High altitude shot of the rough finished rear tower stiffening. This will be LOTS better than stock.

I feel like I made some progress this weekend!
tygaboy
Now I can get on with the bars.
Here's the final design on the cross bracing. I'll add a filler plate between them with some fun/interesting cut outs.

The final shot is proof that I have clearance and can fit the top with the arched upper bar!

I then laid the trunk on and everything clears. Woop, woop!

Now I'll fab up some brackets for those clips that hold the front of the top. I also need a bracket to locate the hood latch. This part of the car feels like it's finally coming together.
altitude411
Really enjoying your build Chris, thanks for taking the time to post. beerchug.gif
ssuperflyoldguy
Every time I come visit this thread there is less & less blue car there - gonna be a little sad when you start closing it in - great build tho - Napa Rocket Garage. Gonna have to come up n see Martin about some Mini stuff (he needs a transmission which I may have 4 more tomorrow), then he can tell me how much of the welding is yours...
mbseto
No weld thru primer on that layer over the suspension tower?
tygaboy
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jan 16 2017, 06:50 AM) *

No weld thru primer on that layer over the suspension tower?

Yes, I weld thru primer'd the towers and the back side of the plates before attaching them.
I plan to use some Eastwood frame coating inside the box, after I close it in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.