Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
tygaboy
I wasn't happy with the way the lower outer panel edge just ended and how it sorta forced the rivet line to stop. So I made a little extension that I silicone brazed on to the seatbelt recess panel.

I still have a bit of clean up to do but to me, this looks a lot more complete. Of course, this means I now have to do the same thing for the top area. It's always something... wacko.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 5 2019, 10:12 PM) *

That's an awesome starter switch! It looks like a great fit! Was it a lot of work?

@Krieger - Not too bad. Let me point out that I used an early steering column. I didn't even know there was a difference. Here's a pic of the one that came in my '75. Completely different and if I'd only seen this version, I doubt I would even have thought to try.
tygaboy
This is the early column.

The start button unit has locating ridges that run down it's length. Clearance had to be cut for these. A small Dremmel made pretty quick work of this.
tygaboy
Then the locating ridges needed to be trimmed to length to allow the unit to fit in the column. But a gap needed to be cut at the upper area of the ridge that the column's removable switch plate/retainer cover would use to hold the start button unit in place.
tygaboy
Here's how the retainer plate locates / locks in with the start button unit.
tygaboy
Into the column it goes!
tygaboy
On goes the retainer.
tygaboy
And into the car! aktion035.gif
tygaboy
Let the console fabrication begin! That center trim panel is just a mock up to check dimensions.

I still have some designing to do but at this point, I think I'm going to make most all of this upper console section removable. Maybe do a frame under it to support the shifter and this just becomes a cover. idea.gif

Decisions, decisions.
Cairo94507
That looks really nice Chris. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
One for the tool whores: Looking to create nice, evenly spaced holes? Forget measuring and get a rivet fan. It makes this almost impossible to screw up.

I scribe a line the distance in from the edge that I want (no less than 3x the rivet diameter) then set the rivet fan to the desired spacing. Lay the fan's holes right on top of the scribe line and poke a Sharpie in the hole. Come back and mark the spots with a spring loaded center punch then drill the holes.

Don't use the fan as a drill guide!
tygaboy
Driver side lower outer partially done.
tygaboy
I made some pretty good progress on the console today. I've moved to a much simpler design. I think with all the stamping, a fairly plain console works better.

I fabbed the rear supports for the shifter and used them to locate the rear console panels. Then I worked up the front sections. Now it's a simple matter of playing "connect the dots".

Here, the rear panels are in final position - the shifter is bolted down to the rear mounts - and I've set set the other pieces in rough position, just to get a feel for how things fit and look. I like it. It looks much cleaner than the previous version. Easier to paint or cover with carpet, etc.

Note that all this console sheet metal will be removable so I can service the stuff that runs in this new tunnel.

And yes, those are mock up circles for the cup holders! beerchug.gif (rootbeer, that is!)
tygaboy
The final version will have a "cover panel" that runs front to back that sits down in the recessed area and is riveted in place.
Andyrew
Thats starting to look really nice!!!
Krieger
Awesome! first.gif
tygaboy
I want to be able to run the car without the console cover so I needed a shifter support stand of some kind. Here's what I came up with.
The console cover sit right on top of it.
Still a little bit of trimming to finish it up.
tygaboy
Nearly-major milestone: Almost ready for final install of the fire wall panels. piratenanner.gif
tygaboy
Door bar trim panel, version 2. I added the upper lip / bend. I think it looks more finished than just the upper edge ending in line with the main fire wall panel.
tygaboy
Passenger side lower / upper outer added. See post #1701 for a pic of what it looked like before. This looks far more integrated, IMO.

On to the driver side to do the same.
sixnotfour
ovreng.......license plate idea.gif stirthepot.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 17 2019, 04:32 PM) *

Nearly-major milestone: Almost ready for final install of the fire wall panels. piratenanner.gif

Remind me to buy stock in Cleco before your next project ohmy.gif
tygaboy
Version 1 of the console top plate, complete w/cup holders.
worn
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 3 2019, 11:11 AM) *

Version 1 of the console top plate, complete w/cup holders.

Gotta have the cup holders. Yesterday riding home ahead of the thunderstorm it was the cup holder that made me choose the teener...for better or worse,
Cairo94507
Chris- That looks great! beerchug.gif
Krieger
I like it! Very clean look!
tygaboy
I'm on hold with the console until I source an A/C evap set up so I started back on the dash.
First, I added 1.25" to the stock gauge panel mounting bracket. This moves the panel a bit down and closer. Then I designed up V1 of a new gauge panel. I moved the two outer gauges down and in.
This all but eliminates anything being blocked from view by the steering wheel.
This shows the view I now have. Better!
tygaboy
Moving things down and forward required a bit of trimming to clear the column.
tygaboy
V1 of this design includes trying out a new shape for the gauge panel. I'll reshape the mounting bracket to fit then make a removable cover/pod that hides things and provides some sun shading for the gauges.
bbrock
I think I'll wait for V7 before commenting hide.gif bye1.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 8 2019, 11:19 AM) *

I think I'll wait for V7 before commenting hide.gif bye1.gif

Well, Mr. Funny Guy, the joke's on you! I got (what I think is) the final version after only three tries! poke.gif av-943.gif

What can I say, as always, I need to get the piece fitted, see what I think, tweak the details and fit, etc.
On this latest one, I was able to get measurements from the first version, update the CAD file and plasma cut the clearance profile for around the column, vs doing it manually, like I did on that first one. It's much tidier. I also moved the outer gauges in and down a bit more and changed the overall panel shape.
This shape should make it a bit easier to fab the pod cover. We shall see.
tygaboy
I bent up some 18 ga, then a little shrinking, fitting and TIGing. 1/2 way done on the frame support reshape.
tygaboy
It's turning out pretty well. Again, it'll all be covered up...
tygaboy
OK @bbrock , you got me. I went back and did a 4th version... this time in aluminum. I also tweaked the radii around the column cut out to tighten things up a bit.
Then I wrapped up reshaping the other side of the frame.
On to the pod topper.
tygaboy
Exciting news of the day:
Huffaker Engineering called and they expect to have my engine on the dyno in the next couple days! cheer.gif
They'll provide video, if I can't make it over there to take one myself.
bbrock
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 9 2019, 01:08 PM) *

OK @bbrock , you got me. I went back and did a 4th version... this time in aluminum. I also tweaked the radii around the column cut out to tighten things up a bit.
Then I wrapped up reshaping the other side of the frame.
On to the pod topper.

Just 3 more versions to go and I'll tell you what I think. av-943.gif Actually, you "fixed" the two things I would have changed from v1. Looks cool! beerchug.gif
tygaboy
I replaced the sheet metal screws/clips with nutserts and @Andyrew approved fasteners.
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 9 2019, 08:19 PM) *

I replaced the sheet metal screws/clips with nutserts and @Andyrew approved fasteners.

Good choice biggrin.gif
burton73
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 9 2019, 08:22 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif

agree.gif Mad Skills.

Bob B
tygaboy
I decided to upgrade the steering wheel to something that allowed even better gauge visibility. This is a 350mm Momo Mod 78. The "straight across the top then drop", three spoke set up is a big improvement over the previous wheel - without moving my head at all, there's virtually no part of any of the gauges I can't see. The Momo hub is on the way so pardon my manual positioning in that last pic...

And in keeping with the "RaceRod" theme, I decided to eliminate the stock, column-based turn signal and wiper switches in favor of "remote" steering wheel buttons.
The Infinity Box electrics allow for programming such that I can have momentary switches that trigger the signals and the brain will cancel them after X seconds or not at all, if the brake lights are on.
Same deal with headlights: I can have a high beam switch on the wheel that can either flash-to-pass the brights or turn them on/off.

Beyond signals and hi beam, I'm not sure if I'll have other functions accessible from the wheel, so I made a couple button plates. It's simple enough to add or remove space for more or less buttons.
FourBlades

Gauge cluster and wheel works together like a factory set up!

88 more pages until the first test drive!

evilgrin.gif
tygaboy
Major milestone completed today. The engine ran again for the first time since I got it from Tony @Cracker .

Presenting the dyno results for one LS3 with ITBs.

518 hp
463 lb/ft

I think that ought to about do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJqF9IebGWY

Krieger
ohmy.gif. holy shit, your exhaust is glowing! Congratulations!
dan10101
Awesome!
You're gonna like that!! aktion035.gif
Andyrew
blink.gif

Daamn!!!

That's gonna be nice!!!
Cairo94507
I absolutely can not wait to see that engine in your car. Of course hearing it would be the icing on the cake. beerchug.gif
bbrock
That ought to be enough to get you into low earth orbit w00t2.gif
tygaboy
Yep, I'm really happy with the dyno results! Seeing it run certainly jacks up the motivation to get it on the road.

But I couldn't help myself on another redo:
Over time, I started to notice (and dislike) the way the shape of upper/outer fire wall panels just died when they ran into the dog house. (in the 2nd pic)

So I sliced the cap off the dog house and started on a piece that carries that line all the way across the fire wall.

Form over function triumphs again...
tygaboy
And I need to select the needed switches so I ordered a few different kinds to determine what I like. Initial plan is looking like this pic: stealth black for the turn signals with something different for the high beam.
The final switches will likely be sourced from the same manufacturer but I do think I'll mix up the look.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.