Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
djway
Do you know an audio engineer that can record the sound for you?
johnek6
The excitement is mounting !!! cheer.gif
Andyrew
wub.gif popcorn[1].gif
Dion
party.gif
bbrock
This is getting INTENSE! popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beer.gif
rhodyguy
WOW!
tygaboy
In keeping with the full disclosure approach: Good thing I video'd the ITB operation.
I thought I'd avoided any interference with the linkage but it turns out there was some!

My zippidy do-da MAT sensor mount fouled the linkage as it approached WOT. Heaven forbid not being able to achieve WOT in this thing...
Anyway, it's nothing a bit of trimming couldn't resolve.

First pic is closed throttle, second is WOT. What's interesting is that the linkage geometry is such that that the last bit of pedal travel moves the linkage arm WAY farther inboard. Anyway, problem solved.
Andyrew
I love it when you can fix problems with a grinder smile.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 23 2020, 07:36 PM) *

I realized I'd probably want the engine inspection cover to be in place ahead of getting it running. As with the radiator shroud, the final version of the cover will need painting before I bond in the carbon panels.
So I dug out V1 of the cover, cut some suitably shaped steel panels, placed them in from the back side and spot welded them in place. From a distance, they almost look like the stamped pieces.
Not the most attractive, but I now have a serviceable and reasonably fire proof fire wall.

not to be overlooked, those seats are great, what brand?do they mount on stock seat sliders?
tygaboy
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 25 2020, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 23 2020, 07:36 PM) *

I realized I'd probably want the engine inspection cover to be in place ahead of getting it running. As with the radiator shroud, the final version of the cover will need painting before I bond in the carbon panels.
So I dug out V1 of the cover, cut some suitably shaped steel panels, placed them in from the back side and spot welded them in place. From a distance, they almost look like the stamped pieces.
Not the most attractive, but I now have a serviceable and reasonably fire proof fire wall.

not to be overlooked, those seats are great, what brand?do they mount on stock seat sliders?

@DRPHIL914 - They are GT Classics, LeMans model. Specially for the 914 and yes, they bolt right to the stock brackets. I added heat, the grommets and their "oval" headrests.
76-914
Those are nice seats. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 25 2020, 12:38 PM) *

Heaven forbid not being able to achieve WOT in this thing...

Do you have a special diaper picked out to wear when you do it? You are going to need it! w00t2.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 25 2020, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 25 2020, 12:38 PM) *

Heaven forbid not being able to achieve WOT in this thing...

Do you have a special diaper picked out to wear when you do it? You are going to need it! w00t2.gif

Well, @bbrock , it Depends... lol-2.gif

And for those who may care, @markhoward and @buddyV are coming to the Red Barn tomorrow at 4:00 PM to man the fire extinguishers while I attempt the first start!
My lovely wife will handle video duties to capture the moment for posterity.
Wish me luck!
Cairo94507
Darn. I was hoping to be able to be there when it breathed its first breath in the car. Well I know you will document it and post the video.

It will start on the first crank and run like it has been running in the car forever. But the fire extinguisher is handy and smart as well as making sure you roll it out into the driveway before firing it. That way the neighbors can appreciate it better. popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
fiacra
And for those who may care, @markhoward and @buddyV are coming to the Red Barn tomorrow at 4:00 PM to man the fire extinguishers while I attempt the first start!
My lovely wife will handle video duties to capture the moment for posterity.
Wish me luck!

Do Mark and Robert know how to use a fire extinguisher? Just remember PASS - Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep (at the base of the fire)! lol-2.gif Probably nobody would notice a bit of extra smoke in the air.... Wish I could be there to see this moment, but I'm looking forward to the video cheer.gif
914forme
agree.gif BTDT, watched the mushroom cloud drift towards the ceiling. Fast blip of the throttle took car of the fire, but still made my wife's eyes go really big.

Roll the car out. Once it fires give you a good reason to slap some old rubber on it, and do an epic set of 11s.

This car does have an LSD right? A smokey 1 is not cool. Oh hell, even if it does not start it is still cool as hell. Enjoy. popcorn[1].gif
Rand
Come on man, it should be your tricked out on board fire suppression system that handles any contingencies! Knowing your engineering it would quench all the wild fires in the region too.
Nogoodwithusernames
Looking forward to a video tonight! Good luck!
Curbandgutter
Amazing! You must be on cloud nine man. I can't wait to hear it and see a drive.
tygaboy
OK, here we go. I said I would document the whole thing so this is ~56 seconds of your life you'll never get back but it's f-ing excitingly nerve-wracking for me!

Yes. it's just a video of me putting gas in the tank. I won't be hurt if you skip it! happy11.gif

This is the first time my car has had fuel in it since I've owned it. Remember, I did a bunch of welding on this tank so I figured I'd be sure it was good to go in time to let @markhoward and @buddyv know if there was any change of plans.
No leaks!

Onward!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocQVGdQA9KI
tygaboy
Hook up the battery, ECU NOT PLUGGED IN.
I just wanted to verify that what was working before was still working. But at the end, I couldn't resist verification that it would crank over.
Again, this is the first time power has been put to many areas of the harness I assembled.
Did I say I was nervous?

So far, so good. Now, it's wait for the crew to get here to see if she'll start. Fingers crossed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8stvsAE69Zk
914forme
Tease
Cairo94507
OK, I have time to go grab a bite to eat. popcorn[1].gif
Dion
popcorn[1].gif cheer.gif
76-914
From my best Top Gear voice, "It is said the Pucker Factor was so great a Ten Penny nail could not be hammered in his butt with a Sledge Hammer". happy11.gif Best of luck Chris. beerchug.gif
djway
Was “red rain “ an intentional choice?
tygaboy
QUOTE(djway @ Aug 26 2020, 05:32 PM) *

Was “red rain “ an intentional choice?

@djway - good catch. I was thinking maybe I should wait for the next track!
tygaboy
Well, this is a bit disappointing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D50W24OscY
Krieger
Almost there!
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beer3.gif
tygaboy
Having never done this stuff before, I had no idea what to expect so be nice if you've done all this. I happily admit I'm a newb...
My comment "...this is brand new technology" was supposed to end with "to me."

But it seemed we were making progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pEwEIhz-nE
tygaboy
Seemed to us it might not have been getting fuel. At Mark's suggestion I disconnected the ECU and the fuel pump, cracked the Return line connection at the fuel pump, put 12 v to the pump and let it run until it weeped fuel at the Return.
Then it was tighten the Return connection and run the pump for maybe 30 more seconds to see if that would fully prime the system.

Here's what that did for us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFHjxxo5UCU
tygaboy
So there it is! The beast runs. aktion035.gif

The amazing thing to me is that the stuff I did for the first time, like making the main harness, customizing every terminal/connection on the engine and ECU harness and making all the fuel lines, all worked!

A few things left to tidy up but it's on to the next goal:

Maiden voyage on 9/14!

Huge thanks to Mark and Robert for being there to help and support me today.
@markhoward @buddyv - Guys, I couldn't have done it without you. pray.gif Thanks.
914forme
So proud of you getting this thing fired up, that is a huge step. piratenanner.gif
bkrantz
Congrats!
Krieger
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif AWESOME!
FL000
She’s alive! I know you are feeling great right now. Motivates me to get back on my project also.
tygaboy
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Aug 26 2020, 08:24 PM) *

She’s alive! I know you are feeling great right now. Motivates me to get back on my project also.

Well, you called THAT perfectly! Robert @buddyv proves just how far beyond thoughtful he is with the uber cool, custom made, memorial T-shirt he broke out after the the successful start. It goes great with my Covid hair-do, don't you think? lol-2.gif

But seriously, a guy couldn't ask for a better pal! smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
fiacra
I've been waiting all day to see this!!! Congratulations Chris. Totally inspiring. Yet another milestone achieved. smilie_pokal.gif
markhoward
Well done Chris!! welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif MAJOR MILESTONE smilie_pokal.gif welder.gif Now on to buttoning this beast up getting 'er moving under her own power!!
markhoward
Forgot to mention.. This thing is Bad Ass!!! Part of me wants a ride, the other part is afraid! new_shocked.gif
Rand
piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif rocking nana.gif beerchug.gif
Awesome. Congrats. Lots more adrenaline in the build now! smile.gif
djway
HoooRaaah!
Cairo94507
Congratulations Chris. Now that's the way I like to start may day. That engine just sounds strong. Now on to 9-14. beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Andyrew
Congrats Chris!!! This is huge! I love how quickly things are progressing. First drive 9/14???? Awesome!!
Dion
piratenanner.gif Fantastico! Congrats. Happy for ya Chris. Sounds mean as hell.
Some fine tuning and you’re on your way. But tone that hair down ! laugh.gif
beerchug.gif Seriously congrats, long time coming.
Superhawk996
beerchug.gif

Great job.

When you have so much engine and rotational inertia that the torque generated just by reving the engine makes the car body rock . . . you have probably enough engine. happy11.gif

Glad to see this beast running in the light of day!
dwillouby
Great job!!!

David
AZBanks
Where is the video of all the times you restarted it?
Because we all know you restarted it several times and it got more and more awesome each time. welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.