Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
tygaboy
And here's another example of why I'm never going to make money doing this:
I needed a piece that angled up from the driver's side runner up to the load plate.
This required a compound set of cuts - one to get the "up" angle, the other to get the "over" angle. Then, because of the "up" I needed to get the length right so the top of this piece intersects with the runner at the right spot, Then it's time to trim the lower edge so it ends up at 1.5" tall at the angle so it mates with the front of the runner... blink.gif

And I must say, it's dead nuts on! aktion035.gif
I'm pretty impressed with myself. Yes, I still have to trim the other end but that's a single angle so no worries there.

That said:
What you aren't seeing are the other 3 attempts/fails and 2 hours of "practice" that preceded the final piece. huh.gif

It seems like every piece I make has something "special" about it that requires me to learn something new or use a rarely used skill. Don't get me wrong, I still love it. I just hate wasting the materials, consumables and time.

I guess that's "experience", huh?
ChrisFoley
That's nothing.
You should see the challenges my dad faces every day with his Ryan restoration.
In many cases he doesn't have a sample, and the blueprints don't match pictures of original parts.
His fuel tank took more than 250 hours of labor, as well as an extra sheet of aluminum.
tygaboy
Mocking in some other parts, just to get a feel for where things may sorta go. It's starting to look like a place I'd want to spend some time!

If only we could build with cardboard...
tygaboy
I confess that I succumbed to peer pressure. I just couldn't take people using the term "short" in relation to any of my stuff.
Tangerine Racing came through with an instant shipment of just the tall (long?) tower pieces! Thanks Chris!
The plan is to get them fully installed tomorrow. welder.gif
tygaboy
Teaser shot. Where, oh where, do you suppose the exhaust is going to exit the car?

Out the top of the trunk, 918 style? sunglasses.gif

Through the rear panel? idea.gif

Or do I have something else in mind...? shades.gif

(If I've shared my plan with you, don't spill the beans, please.)
Cracker
Peanut gallery: I hate to have to tell you Chris but your exhaust manifolds are wrong side up... poke.gif

T
mgp4591
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 17 2017, 05:41 PM) *

Teaser shot. Where, oh where, do you suppose the exhaust is going to exit the car?

Out the top of the trunk, 918 style? sunglasses.gif

Through the rear panel? idea.gif

Or do I have something else in mind...? shades.gif

(If I've shared my plan with you, don't spill the beans, please.)

I'll bite... you're going to run them through your custom bulkhead and out behind the rear fenderwells on the side - custom heat plates with pipes will look purty kuhl... idea.gif lol-2.gif popcorn[1].gif
tygaboy
Well... I FINALLY completed what I said I'd complete in the time I said I'd complete it.
The goal was to get the shock tower tops in. And they are in !
Here're a couple action photos of the event.
tygaboy
And, not only are the towers in, so are the top cross bar load pads and the cross bar!
Major milestone. cheer.gif
Cracker
Now I am really impressed - you can weld and take pictures at the same time! cheer.gif

Looks great Chris!

T
Andyrew
Tig! Some high dollar welding there!

I really hope you build your exhaust similar to a 918 smile.gif I love that look in a mid engine car.
tygaboy
When words collide:

I hope I don't offend the fabrication gods by running one of my MIG welds up against one of Martin's TIGs. Maybe not quite as pretty, but I am getting better.

This is the lower fire wall crossbar and was one of those "out of position" welds - laying on the ground, one arm wrapped around the long, triggering with my left hand and guiding the tip with my right, arms all akimbo... but I'll take it.

As I improve, I keep turning the MIG up to hotter settings and moving faster. This seems to give me the best results.

Anyone else having this experience? Maybe I just started way too cold...?
Andyrew
^ I love welding clean thick steel Nothing more satisfying than making dimes with a mig.

Judging by your heat marks your welds should have good penetration, at least that horizontal piece. You didnt make great penetration on your vertical weld to the firewall.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 20 2017, 03:49 PM) *

^ I love welding clean thick steel Nothing more satisfying than making dimes with a mig.

Judging by your heat marks your welds should have good penetration, at least that horizontal piece. You didnt make great penetration on your vertical weld to the firewall.

Yep, I was noticing that. I think I'll do another pass. Like I said, the out-of-position stuff is such fun. A little off on the angle when I couldn't quite get my line of sight where I wish I could have...
tygaboy
On to floor fitment. With the custom lower fire wall comes mods to the rear floor panel. Long story short, the floor is about 1" too long in just the perfect way so the flat that needs to spot weld to the bottom of the lower cross bar juuuuuuust misses.

What to do? There were probably a few ways to deal with this but here's what I did.

This pic shows all the gaps I have to address. The lines outline where the cross bar lands on the stock floor and you can see that the only contacts are at that raised section at the bottom of the pic. The rear of the bar just barely kisses that raised edge most of the way across but not nearly enough to be secure.
tygaboy
I opted to move the lip in by about 1". So a bit of guestimeasuring lol-2.gif and cut the thing into pieces.
tygaboy
Remove that middle piece, slide the lip section into place and welder.gif welder.gif
A bit of weld dressing and Phase 1, passenger side is done.
tygaboy
Then it got fun. Thankfully, I'm learning patience as I get older. I knew I need to preserve the outer most edge at each outside corner as that material is needed when it comes time to spot weld the jacking donut triangles in place.

But I have that odd gap at the left edge of the piece I moved forward. (see above pic) So, I figured I could "reverse" that corner that's just to the left of the gap and tie it to the moved section. It's hard to explain but I ended up doing some hammer and dolly work to pound that corner back into itself and out the other side.
Then I welded the seam... Pics probably make it easier.

Top pic is the stock shapes (driver side)
Bottom pic is what I now have (passenger side)
(Pardon the wet primer...)
914forme
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 17 2017, 07:35 PM) *

I confess that I succumbed to peer pressure. I just couldn't take people using the term "short" in relation to any of my stuff.
Tangerine Racing came through with an instant shipment of just the tall (long?) tower pieces! Thanks Chris!

poke.gif Look really good poke.gif Now do a hard top conversion. poke.gif
tygaboy
It now fits nicely, with plenty of contact with the lower cross bar.
And that section at the top of the pic that curves out, away from the crossbar is where the jack donut triangle edge sits, as seen-ish in the 2nd pic.

I'll add a bar that triangulates from the cross bar back to the long to support that "curving out section" so I have a robust jacking point.
tygaboy
I also got the lower fire wall uprights tacked in. Once they are final welded and I mod the driver's side of the floor pan, the floor goes in.
Then it's on to the seats. Once that's done, I'll move to the tunnel and pedals.

Man, this is taking a long time.
tygaboy
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 20 2017, 04:58 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 17 2017, 07:35 PM) *

poke.gif Look really good poke.gif Now do a hard top conversion. poke.gif

What about a T-top? Oh, wait, I know: gull wing doors! shades.gif
tygaboy
As one of my car buddies recently reminded me:
There's no kill like overkill! aktion035.gif

So I treated the Tangerine Racing towers to an upgrade to ARP stainless fasteners.
I mean, doesn't Foley's stuff deserve the top shelf treatment? poke.gif

I'm going to anodize the top piece, too. Black, maybe gold, still TBD on color.

And that's the spacer that was fabbed to address the interference that would otherwise occur between the shock top hat and the bottom of the tower extension.
tygaboy
And here's the benefit to all that work that went into moving the drive line forward:
It's kinda hard to tell in the pics, but I have a reasonably relaxed CV angle. cheer.gif

This should address any concerns about CV / CV boot failure.

Maybe someone (Tony?) could post a pic of what this looks like with the trans in the "stock" location?

And yes, there is a spacer that goes between the inner CV and the output drive. I just didn't have long enough bolts...
Cracker
You are welcome Chris (LOL)! That's where it needs to be - great job!

I am still not sure it will work - I need to test it when out there this summer... poke.gif

T
tygaboy
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 23 2017, 12:46 PM) *

You are welcome Chris (LOL)! That's where it needs to be - great job!

I am still not sure it will work - I need to test it when out there this summer... poke.gif

T

Don't kid yourself, my friend. Your experiences are helping shape (literally!) this build and I GREATLY appreciate your willingness to spend time sharing your lessons learned.
Cracker
I tried but do not have a good picture of my set-up Chris...the hassle of moving the drive-line forward is a HUGE improvement over what I am dealing with!

Tony
tygaboy
OK, so not too scientific but here's an approximation of the angle the axle would otherwise have been.
Looks like I reduced it about 1/2, maybe?
Cracker
I would defiantly say that is fairly accurate - that is a big deal.

T
andys
Here's a photo of my VSS and reluctor. It's the GM VSS, but thought I'd share anyway. The reluctor clears the Porsche 911 CV. I'm using the Audi VSS (on the 01e trans) to run my speedo.

Andys
Cracker
Andy (howdy!)...did you mean to post this in Rudy's thread/build?

Tony

QUOTE(andys @ Feb 23 2017, 10:45 PM) *

Here's a photo of my VSS and reluctor. It's the GM VSS, but thought I'd share anyway. The reluctor clears the Porsche 911 CV. I'm using the Audi VSS (on the 01e trans) to run my speedo.

Andys

Curbandgutter
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 23 2017, 03:59 PM) *

OK, so not too scientific but here's an approximation of the angle the axle would otherwise have been.
Looks like I reduced it about 1/2, maybe?

Wow that is a hell of a lot better then where it would have ended up.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 23 2017, 07:49 PM) *

Tony

Andys

I think so dry.gif Regardless thanks Andy. beerchug.gif
andys
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Feb 23 2017, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 23 2017, 07:49 PM) *

Tony

Andys

I think so dry.gif Regardless thanks Andy. beerchug.gif

Just wanted to see if you guys were paying attention blink.gif

Andys
tygaboy
For those who may be interested, here's a better review of the rear floor mod.
1. Cut and move that rear section forward.
2. The gap I need to close
3. Start hammering the curve back into itself
4. Overall shape is where I want it so I'm calling it finished and ready to weld!

Next, I mock it back into the car and trim the edge to match the jacking donut triangle.

This floor is all but ready to go in!
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 24 2017, 05:16 PM) *

For those who may be interested, here's a better review of the rear floor mod.
1. Cut and move that rear section forward.
2. The gap I need to close
3. Start hammering the curve back into itself
4. Overall shape is where I want it so I'm calling it finished and ready to weld!

Next, I mock it back into the car and trim the edge to match the jacking donut triangle.

This floor is all but ready to go in!

Chris that is really nice work. The way you hammered in that reverse curve .... smilie_pokal.gif . t's amazing how you show these pics and most people look at it and don't realize the 20 hours behind that shot. Keep up the excellent work. I'll be doing my floors soon as well. Need to get motor and trans in place before I finalize the final tubes. Then it's off to the floors like you.

Rudy
tygaboy
I got the rear suspension mocked in and decided to trim the spacers a bit.
How's this for old school? Neat old, belt driven South Bend lathe. Works like a champ!
tygaboy
The floor is in. Well, all but a few inches of the main joint. Then I need to dress the welds. I'm going to run the stock cross bar because:
1. I have it
2. It makes is simple to locate the seat mounts vs a custom bar
3. The top of it all but lines up with the height of the 1.5x1" tubing that will make up the base of the tunnel.
Note that the cross bar is just sitting there, helping me think through the tunnel design.
tygaboy
So much to do, so little time.
jd74914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 27 2017, 09:43 AM) *

How's this for old school? Neat old, belt driven South Bend lathe. Works like a champ!

Sweet! You're missing out on the authentic antique experience with that Aloris tool post though! happy11.gif
tygaboy
It's official, I'm a slave to fashion...
Upon reflection, I didn't like the look of the ARP 12 point fasteners. Too busy. And hex head is too pedestrian. (IMO).
So I splurged and went with titanium button heads. Pricey little buggers but they do look the business!
Looks properly tidy. Much better all around.

As I said, Foley's stuff deserves the top shelf treatment so I figured I'd better just go all the way. shades.gif

Yes, I'm aware that some of what I spend my time and money on is silly. My wife beat you to that thought...!
Cracker
You are just now "coming out" as a slave to fashion...like we did not already know that! I like the new bolts much better. I might copy them...

T
mobymutt
Wow, that is pretty!

Just be careful with galling on Ti fasteners. If you didn't already use it, I suggest some sort of anti-seize.
tygaboy
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Feb 27 2017, 06:32 PM) *

Wow, that is pretty!

Just be careful with galling on Ti fasteners. If you didn't already use it, I suggest some sort of anti-seize.

Ah, yes. Thanks for the reminder!
jd74914
Sweet cap screws!

If you're looking for an antisieze, DuPont Krytox works really well and from what I remember it's not too expensive. We specified and used it at a place I worked for pretty much all stainless, inconel, and titanium fittings. It was actually pretty much the only antisieze which always worked.
tygaboy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 28 2017, 04:41 AM) *

Sweet cap screws!

If you're looking for an antisieze, DuPont Krytox works really well and from what I remember it's not too expensive. We specified and used it at a place I worked for pretty much all stainless, inconel, and titanium fittings. It was actually pretty much the only antisieze which always worked.

Thanks for the recommendation. Would you happen to know a product #? There seem to be a bunch of "grease" type products that come up when I do a search. Nothing specifically "antiseize".
jd74914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 28 2017, 08:04 AM) *

Thanks for the recommendation. Would you happen to know a product #? There seem to be a bunch of "grease" type products that come up when I do a search. Nothing specifically "antiseize".

I'll take a look later-from what I remember, their product catalog/descriptions are a little odd. blink.gif
tygaboy
My seats shipped today! These are them just before being boxed.
GTS Classics Le Mans with their oval headrests.

Pretty.
Damn!
Cool!

Well, actually, they have heaters so maybe it's: Pretty damn hot!

Either way: wub.gif

Scheduled to arrive this Friday.
JmuRiz
Snazzy seats for a wild build!

I wish I could add those belt passages on my old Koenig seats...not sure how.
Cairo94507
.....OK.....seriously? Those are just stupid nice. Man I wish I had a set of those for my car. But, alas, it is not to be. I have to try to keep it appearing as stock as possible - seats like that would be a huge give-away. But drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.