Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
Krieger
Yes please! I have some new Sparco seat sliders if you'd like em
tygaboy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 22 2021, 06:40 PM) *

Yes please! I have some new Sparco seat sliders if you'd like em

@ Krieger - Andy, Yes! Please! I'll be in touch. Or, if you're in the area, feel free to swing by and check out the Benz.
Krieger
They are yours! I will figure out a time to stop by
tygaboy
The 914 is back in the shop while RacerBenz awaits parts.
One of the issues I'm working through is that the ECU is reading coolant temp from a different sensor from the one that's used by the SpeedHut gauge.
I'm playing with the idea of replacing the gauges with a Holley digital dash. It's a 2-wire CAN connection to the ECU and ensures I see what the ECU is seeing. We shall see. Anyway, it offers a bunch of layout templates and you can build your own. Seems right up my alley! Pic is of some of the included templates

The LS has coolant temp sensors at the front of the driver side cyl head and the back of the passenger side head, meaning one is seeing coolant as soon as it enters the engine, and the other sees it after it's been 1/2 way through the head. I decided to add a sensor to the water collector and measure temp after the coolant has exited both heads.

The big change is that the water pump and rad fans are now controlled by the ECU. And it turns out the thermostat was intermittently sticking, so it was removed. All temp management is now programmable.

Getting there.
tygaboy
Fiberglass ashtray-delete dash! wub.gif

Weighs almost nothing. Like my car needs to be lighter... blink.gif
BIGKAT_83

The big change is that the water pump and rad fans are now controlled by the ECU. And it turns out the thermostat was intermittently sticking, so it was removed. All temp management is now programmable.

Getting there.
[/quote]

Do you think the thermostat was bad or was it the Meziere housing causing a problem??
tygaboy
[quote name='BIGKAT_83' date='Mar 27 2021, 04:40 PM' post='2903307']

Getting there.
[/quote]

Do you think the thermostat was bad or was it the Meziere housing causing a problem??
[/quote]

@BIGKAT_83 Watching the temp behavior via the laptop while it's connected to the ECU showed that the thermostat was sticking. I can't imagine the housing was causing it, but maybe that's possible. No worries now, though.
tygaboy
I had the old version of the radiator shroud top. This was going to get carbon inserts but I thought I'd see what it looked like with a quick rattle can paint job and aluminum inserts. Not bad, but the paint looks maybe a bit too glossy. Still noodling on the final look I want.
tygaboy
Getting ready to take the car to EASY this Saturday. I finally fitted the GT headlight kit and threw on the old bumper top. I really makes it clear the hood needs to move forward and left.

But given this is the farthest together my car has been in over 4 years, I'm pretty happy with how it's starting to look.

That's the final version of the hood vent, just held on in the corners with temporary rivets. Tomorrow's goals are finish and fit the passenger side hood vent and get the headlights in, wired and working.
Cairo94507
Hi Chris- Looking good. I am going to try to make it to EASY this Sat. am. I will shoot for 7:30 and maybe be able to park within the city limits..... beerchug.gif
Rand
<aside/>...Web geek here just sayin... if you wonder why weird quotes sometimes include broken things from previous quotes and it breaks up the formatting of the quote flow... it's when one quotes and didn't mean to edit out the brackets or quotes or somethings. A single bracket can break everything. Gotta not delete the closing tags. /geek

CHRIS! I'm getting stoked with you!! It's getting closer!
RiqueMar
The craftsmanship in this build is inspiring!

Keep at it!
djway
Missing vent makes it look cross eyed.
Checked out the Merced, and you thought you got some comments here LOL.
Going to be cool.
Cairo94507
It was so cool to see Chris' car at EASY this morning. People swarmed it all morning long. I am betting we had over 75 cars there easy (no pun intended). Took up two streets. Man talk about some cool stuff. It was a lot of fun.

Only 1 asshat, (black Lamborghini) had to get on it when leaving to let everyone know he was in a "Lambo". It's those guys that cause events to get shut down due to complaints from neighbors.

Aside from the above (asshat) everyone else was respectful and very cool. People wore masks and it was surprising the number of people who already had their 2 vaccinations. Yay. beerchug.gif

I took some photos and will post them later today when I get home.
tygaboy
Spotted in the wild at EASY! Photo courtesy of Robert @BuddyV Thanks!
Retroracer
Nice catching up with some folks this AM. Some nice 914 representation with two real sixes - the Tygaboy V8 obviously - my faux GT and a bumblebee.

- Tony

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Apr 3 2021, 01:19 PM) *

Nice catching up with some folks this AM. Some nice 914 representation with two real sixes - the Tygaboy V8 obviously - my faux GT and a bumblebee.

- Tony

@Retroracer - Come on now... Look how cool those TonyVents ™ look in your pic!

Great seeing you today. Thanks for the pic.
tygaboy
Something's happened - Marie Kono got into my head - and I'm considering, emphasis on considering, selling.

No I haven't landed on a price but I don't live in fantasy land. It's an odd-ball build that doesn't have wide appeal, at least not for ownership, and it's clearly not done.

On the other hand, all parts are top-of-the-line and essentially new and the chassis is solid.

I'd consider selling it as a roller, minus the engine, ECU/engine harness and trans. Might be a great basis for someone who wants a Subby or other H2O swap and likes the other stuff that's been done.

It's not in the Classifieds because, well Tygaboy...

If you're seriously interested, PM me.
mb911
I understand how these projects go. My car is 90% and drivable but already thinking about the 928 project
Andyrew
hissyfit.gif

Finish it!!!

biggrin.gif
djway
You not finish?
The HORROR
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 7 2021, 09:03 AM) *

Something's happened - Marie Kono got into my head - and I'm considering, emphasis on considering, selling.

No I haven't landed on a price but I don't live in fantasy land. It's an odd-ball build that doesn't have wide appeal, at least not for ownership, and it's clearly not done.

On the other hand, all parts are top-of-the-line and essentially new and the chassis is solid.

I'd consider selling it as a roller, minus the engine, ECU/engine harness and trans. Might be a great basis for someone who wants a Subby or other H2O swap and likes the other stuff that's been done.

It's not in the Classifieds because, well Tygaboy...

If you're seriously interested, PM me.

You must finish your masterpiece! too many klekos gave their lives for this. Dont do it for us do it for them. What would they want you to do?!
bbrock
You're killing me man. There needs to be closure. Being able to say, "Yeah, I [almost] did that" doesn't have the cache.
Curbandgutter
No Chris ..........don't sell it! FINISH IT! Take some time off if you need to but don't stop. You're almost there man. hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif
Dion
Super Benz can wait! Don’t quit on the 914. hissyfit.gif
preach
QUOTE(Dion @ Apr 8 2021, 11:17 AM) *

Super Benz can wait! Don’t quit on the 914. hissyfit.gif

This.
AZBanks
@mods

If he does this,

Click to view attachment

It is bad enough that my daily dose of therapy has dropped to almost nothing. To have it go away completely is unthinkable.

Tygaboy, you need to finish it. Do it for the children.(or the childish 914world members like myself)
mbseto
Dude, there is so much of YOU in this car. It's so close. There is no one you could sell it to that could take up this mantle. I know you do what you gotta do. Just my 2 cents.
mgp4591
It's already running and driving so if you finish it now, it may be worth more as a roller down the line and your labor to render it as such will be about the same. If you do let it go, are you getting into another 914 to get yer thrills? shades.gif
sixnotfour
Fuch it,, Sell it... The Creative part is Done ....The vision and journey is the fun part.. The rest is Nail Polish...
Closure is that it Runs and Drives..
Mueller
That LS motor would fit perfectly into my Volvo 242 evilgrin.gif
live free & drive
Send it away to get blasted and painted and tell them to take their time - when you pick it up in a year or so you'll be re-motivated by the change -it's so close!
914forme
Chris, thank you for the call.

I will say this, you do what is right for you. I get where you are coming from, and if you achieved everything you wanted to, then move onto the next big adventure. And I will be watching and cheering you on. aktion035.gif
tygaboy
We went for our longest drive yet yesterday. Cooling system is all dialed in and performing as expected. Runs like a champ. Next, I need to sort the front suspension. I think it needs lighter torsion bars. I have 21s in there now, going to 19.

Here's very brief clip of our arrival at a friend's shop. Volume up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnRiJ8XZqWA
Krieger
IIRC you have Koni Sport shocks. Are they set to full soft?
tygaboy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 11 2021, 10:44 AM) *

IIRC you have Koni Sport shocks. Are they set to full soft?

@Krieger Andy - I do and they are all but full soft, maybe 1/4 turn out.
It feels too stiff, it's super darty and doesn't want to self center. I think it's a combo of the bars, caster, which is .2 UNDER minimum spec (call if you really want to know why) and toe settings. Plus, those are 225s on 8" fronts - that's can't be helping.
But hey, that's why they call this part the Development stage!

But don't we make a handsome couple? laugh.gif
Chris914n6
Confused.

I have a non running 914 project and I go to car shows to hang out with 914 peeps.

You have a running 914 project, make it to a car show, and bail.

Seems we are not the same kind of Chris'

biggrin.gif

Also I have stock ft shocks and stock 19mm 911 torsens with the 22mm stock sway and I think it's too stiff too, at least in my cracked asphalt hood. I'm hoping a rear sway knocks out some understeer.

PS. seeing your old school wheels is making me want to make mine fit

IPB Image
Curbandgutter
[quote name='tygaboy' date='Apr 11 2021, 09:26 AM' post='2907243']
We went for our longest drive yet yesterday. Cooling system is all dialed in and performing as expected. Runs like a champ. Next, I need to sort the front suspension. I think it needs lighter torsion bars. I have 21s in there now, going to 19.

Here's very brief clip of our arrival at a friend's shop. Volume up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnRiJ8XZqWA
Sounds very nasty.
Andyrew
Chris,

Do you have a front sway bar? I'd unhook that before you remove the T bars

I have 21's on the front with no sway and koni yellows set almost to full soft. 225 springs in the rear with koni yellows (and no sway bar).

The 21's are certainly stiff, but IMHO not overly stiff. I am always on the side of softer suspension leads to better on road compliance.

Oddly my setup works very well. Its a hair darty but I like that. I have no issues with 120+mph pulls on pot hole 2ln roads as evident from my videos...

Also whats your toe setting?
tygaboy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 12 2021, 09:01 AM) *

Chris,

I have 21's on the front with no sway and koni yellows set almost to full soft. 225 springs in the rear with koni yellows (and no sway bar).

The 21's are certainly stiff, but IMHO not overly stiff. I am always on the side of softer suspension leads to better on road compliance.

Oddly my setup works very well. Its a hair darty but I like that. I have no issues with 120+mph pulls on pot hole 2ln roads as evident from my videos...

@Andyrew Andrew, I'll give that try. We have the same set up: 21mm fronts, 225# rears, no rear sway bar. I have to believe being under spec on caster has some measurable impact but let's see what the "no front sway bar" does for me. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll report back on results.
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 12 2021, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 12 2021, 09:01 AM) *

Chris,

@Andyrew Andrew, I'll give that try. We have the same set up: 21 fronts, 225 rears, no rear sway bar. I have to believe being under spec on caster has some measurable impact but let's see what the "no front sway bar" does for me. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll report back on results.

That car is lowered right? have you addressed bump steer? that could help with the dartyness.
Andyrew
Im pretty sure he has raised spindals, so bump steer shouldnt be an issue.
strawman
I'm using the stock 18.8mm 911 torsion bars on my Suby-powered 914, with raised (30mm) spindles on the Bilstein strut tubes. The front Billy Sports are 911 valved, and they're mounted in Ground Control camber/caster plates. I have a Lemforder-based Turbo tie-rod setup, although I switched to heim joints on the outers in my custom fabbed bumpsteer eliminator setup (see post #208 at Suby Rustoration). The rear springs are 250 inch/lbs Eibachs on a Ground Control coilover design, over Billy Sports. I use a hollow 22mm Tarett Racing front sway bar, with no rear sway bar. I'm using Elephant Racing polybronze bushings front and rear, and my rear trailing arms are stiffened with crosstubes. I seam-welded the chassis when it was on my rotisserie a few years ago, and I've got a GT chassis kit and inner longitudinal kit welded-in; I did everything I could to stiffen the chassis while also avoiding the installation of a cage.

I just switched to 225-45-17s Kumho V730s up front and 255-40-17s in the rear. The guys at Elephant Racing worried that the stock 911 Billy Sports would be too stiff for a 914, but the extra weight of the cooling system up front seems to make them work well on my car. The car is neutral even at the speeds my car can generate on an autocross track, and not too jarring on the street -- but just stiff enough that my wife will not go for a multiple hour ride in it. That is why I bought another 914 for her right after the last WCR in Petaluma!

I wonder if you'd enjoy stock 911 size torsions better... I've ridden in 911s with both the stock 18.8mm bars and in another that I remember to have had 22mm hollow Sander torsion bars, and the latter almost knocked my fillings out (although it had a lot more go-fast goodies, too).
tygaboy
@Andyrew @strawman My front set up:
- 20 mm raised spindles
- Elephant bump steer kit
- Elephant spherical bushing
- Elephant quick adjust camber plates
- Elephant bladed sway bar with the medium stiff blade (it's the lighter of the two options)
- Lemforder Turbo tie rod kit (but with the Elephant bump steer tie rod ends)

The bump steer was set/checked as part of the alignment process at Roger Kraus Racing.

One issue that's not evident in the attached pics (taken before the alignment and final assembly so yes, there are loose or missing fasteners) is that, on my chassis, the fancy-schmancy camber plates interfere with the chassis before the strut can be tipped back far enough to get the caster in spec. Hence the .2 degrees under minimum.

I got a set of Tarrett monoball camber plates that I'm planning to swap in as the are physically smaller at the point they pass through the chassis and will allow me to get more caster. I'll also swap in the 19mm torsion bars.

I'll give Andrew's sway bar disconnect a try but that seems counter-intuitive, give how adding a sway bar to these cars is one of the the mods that gets great results. I know, I have a giant V8 and heavy trans, but still.

Thanks for your input and any other suggestions or observations!
sixnotfour
LS Fest,, Vegas.. Exhibition Class,,, Have some Fun....
Krieger
I'm curious about the air pressures your running in the tires. Both of my cars I use near stock 27 front, 29 rear cold to start with. At the autocross/track I adjust accordingly with temp gauge. For the street I do not bother. I have found this works well for all the different tires compounds and widths I have used. 205/225. Soft compoud/summer high perfomance. It seems to be appropriate for the weight of the car. Where are you at Chris?
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 12 2021, 09:17 PM) *

I'll be there. Leaving this Thursday. agree.gif
Retroracer
@tygaboy Chris - on handling: would suggest one change at a time (which I'm sure you're thinking too), but caster has to be a leading suspect - especially if the steering is not self-centering. You don't specify your toe setting; going with heavy toe out might add to the "dartinesss" (nice term BTW), but would suggest pulling caster into spec. first, then check and test, before tweaking another variable. FWIW,

- Tony
Andyrew
Chris, remind us what tires your running and how old they are? I can't remember if you said you had something OK or if it was old.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Apr 12 2021, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 12 2021, 09:17 PM) *

I'll be there. Leaving this Thursday. agree.gif

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
https://www.lsfest.com/porsche-914-ls-seat-...e-ls-fest-west/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.