Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
tygaboy
Driver side front suspension bar.
tygaboy
Another door bar vertical.
tygaboy
Artsy-fartsy shot of the day.
Morph914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 21 2017, 03:44 PM) *

Every time I see your work, I feel like a Neanderthal playing with rocks on my project. pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Second that!
tygaboy
You are all too kind and I appreciate all the encouraging words.

tygaboy
Back to the seat belt retractor mounts. I decided to reshape the lower section of the braces to close off any opening into the brace and to make it easier to get it fully welded to the lower cross bar.

The mods are all done and both braces are tacked in.
tygaboy
I got the passenger side sway bar reinforcement plate all welded in. Still need to dress the welds. It'll get seam sealed after primer is sprayed.

That was a long weekend of fabrication and welding. I feel like a lot got done.
And yet so much remains to be designed and built.

A friend of mine says "You should get a white board and write down everything that you need to do..."

I think if I did that, and faced the reality of what's ahead, it would scare the crap out of me and I'd stop the build.

So I'll end this weekend with this pic and a comment:

Sometimes you just have to step back and look at the big picture.

Man, I'm loving how this car is shaping up...
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 22 2017, 06:40 PM) *

Man, I'm loving how this car is shaping up...

Me Too.... agree.gif
914forme
drooley.gif

Get it done so you can driving.gif

Inguiring minds need to know, how much fill rod / Mig Wire, and how many bottles of Argon Argon/CO2 have you burned thru?

Only reason I ask is people seem to think I spend to much time with my welder.gif
mb911
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 23 2017, 03:36 AM) *

drooley.gif

Get it done so you can driving.gif

Inguiring minds need to know, how much fill rod / Mig Wire, and how many bottles of Argon Argon/CO2 have you burned thru?

Only reason I ask is people seem to think I spend to much time with my welder.gif

Thats a great question.. I just did a count on my project.. I have went through 2 11lb spools and 4 tanks so far.. Onto the 3rd spool now.. Problem is allot just gets ground off.

Chris you may have more then I at this point?
914forme
I on my third 11 pound spool also, just upgraded my tank, I had an 80, burned thru 4 of them. I am now on my first 150 Argon / Co2 for the Mig. TIG I have gone through a 3 sleeves of filler rod, and several tungstens, most damaged due to improper / learning to sharpen tungstens. And on my first 180 tank of Argon.

mb911
Worst part is I have a leak on my argon co2 line that had gone undetected for a bit.. Now all is good.. I am almost all done welding though on my project.

Chris probably has more welding to do then I
bbrock
I'll be picking up my third 80 bottle of C25 today and that will easily get me to the finish line. And I think I'll make it through with only one 11 lb. spool of .023 plus a little easy grind for the body sheets. Would have been even less if I were a better welder. But I'm not building my car from scratch like you guys. poke.gif welder.gif
mb911

I am running .030 so less wire per spool for me..
tygaboy
I have no idea how much wire/gas I've used on the car since I also use the same welding rig for all the work I do as part of my little side business: Red Barn Yard Art.
So it got used for all the WCR items, the Porsche crests, etc.

I have gotten better at paying attention to supplies so I always have a spare bottle and 10lb spool for the MIG. I use .023 for when I'm doing sheet metal and .030 for the structural work.

The TIG rig has one of those giant bottles so I just have to keep an eye on that.

Rand

Problem is allot just gets ground off.

Cringe. Good welds don't need to be ground. I love a beautiful fish scale.
bbrock
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 23 2017, 09:08 AM) *

Problem is allot just gets ground off.

Cringe. Good welds don't need to be ground. I love a beautiful fish scale.

I think he's talking mostly about butt welding sheet metal for seamless patches.
mb911
agree.gif

But what do I know only taught high level welding for the last 20 years biggrin.gif Click to view attachment

These are headers I just finished up.. No grinding on this
Rand
Gotcha. Totally get it on the butt welds. Beautiful headers! Huge respect to the great welders.

The grinding comment just brought up the image of the "eagle crap" welds I've seen. biggrin.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 23 2017, 09:53 AM) *

Gotcha. Totally get it on the butt welds. Beautiful headers! Huge respect to the great welders.

The grinding comment just brought up the image of the "eagle crap" welds I've seen. biggrin.gif

I hear that.. Grinding outside of restorations is typically just for fixing mistakes.. I often tell my students (average age is 32) its not grinding class..

bbrock
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 23 2017, 11:53 AM) *

owned.gif blush.gif
tygaboy
914 Rubber's GT Headlight Kit arrived today! aktion035.gif
tygaboy
As usual, I'm all over the place. This evening, it was narrowing the flip rear trunk hinge. The Buick it came from is a bit wider than a 914...

I cut the cross bar in the middle then clamped each hinge half to the underside of the trunk seal channel, where that part will eventually be bolted. Then I tied the now overlapping crossbars to each other and determined center, then cut equal amounts off each side.

I then used the lathe to turn down a suitable bolt to make a slug that I plug welded into the cross bars. I'm determined to doing everything I can with TIG vs MIG and this was a good little project for that. So...A little TIG-ity, TIG and... one narrowed flip trunk hinge!
mb911
Love it.. Its on my short list but gotta spend 400 on a set of refurbished rockers..
Krieger
I like it!
tygaboy
The chassis stiffening is nearly completed. Got the seat belt retractor mounts welded in.
tygaboy
Final rear suspension tower reinforcement.
tygaboy
Locking down the rear suspension-to-fire wall support pad.
tygaboy
Final front suspension support tube.
tygaboy
Finished installing the MadDog Motorsports front sway bar reinforcement plates.
I decided to to tidy up the rosette welds. Once it's back from blasting and epoxy prime, I'll seam seal around the perimeter. That'll all but disappear the wonky weld lines.

And the Elephant sway bar has their magical misalignment bushings. The bar literally swings, there's so little stiction. Really impressive.
tygaboy
Brake line brackets installed and a little primer to protect things for now...
tygaboy
Back to the flip trunk hinge.
I worked out the hinge attachment location. (Andy/Krieger was kind enough to let me measure and photograph his installation. Thanks Andy!)
tygaboy
I bolted the trunk lid to the stock hinges and adjusted the fit.
Then, with the flip hinge in place and the trunk shut, I can climb under and mark where to install the threaded bosses in the outer stiffener panel of the trunk lid.

I still have final trimming and finishing on that one part of the hinge so pardon the sharp edges!
Krieger
aktion035.gif The similar color and your attention to detail will helps it look OEM!
Mueller
That is going to be one impressive rear trunk lid. Cannot wait for videos of it in action.
Cracker
Really slick Chris...the King of fabrication!!! beerchug.gif

Tony
914forme
Chris I would love to see the measurements, as I have the same setup in my shop, waiting.
tygaboy
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 28 2017, 06:24 PM) *

Chris I would love to see the measurements, as I have the same setup in my shop, waiting.

Stephen -
Sure thing! In fact, I was thinking about you as I was doing this work, knowing you'd be doing the same install at some point. Once everything is in place and I know there's adequate adjustability and it all works as planned, I'll post some pics with measurements.
I can already tell you that to get things where I wanted them, the location of the hinge on my car is measuring out about 1/4" - 3/8" forward of where Andy has his.

The good news is that, near as I can tell so far, the specific location of the hinge (within maybe around 1" - 1 1/2"), isn't that critical. It'll be easier to document once I get it hooked up to the trunk lid and verify my assumptions about the geometry of this contraption!
tygaboy
This morning was fabrication of the flip trunk threaded bosses and reinforcement plates that I'll plug weld onto the underside of the trunk, along the outer stiffeners.
tygaboy
Plenty of room for adjustment!
tygaboy
Now to measure for and cut the bosses, weld them to the plates, drill the reinforcement plates for rosette welding and get these installed on the trunk. cheer.gif
Mueller
More great work I see you have been up to.

Don't worry, I'll make it look pretty enough to install on that work of art of yours!
Click to view attachment
Mueller
double post... delete me .....
tygaboy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 29 2017, 09:35 PM) *

More great work I see you have been up to.

Don't worry, I'll make it look pretty enough to install on that work of art of yours!
Click to view attachment

SWEET! I have a 914 /6! (but man, that little ".2" really adds some hp!) lol-2.gif

Mike,
Let's plan a time to meet up. I'd love for you to see my project and pick through the machining goodies, but I can get out your way, too. Let me know...
tygaboy
I'm trying to sneak in an hour here and there to keep things moving along during the week. So this evening, I was able to get the flip trunk bosses cut down and welded to the reinforcement plates. Boring, yes. But it's all gotta be done.
914forme
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 29 2017, 12:51 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 28 2017, 06:24 PM) *

Stephen -
Sure thing! In fact, I was thinking about you as I was doing this work, knowing you'd be doing the same install at some point. Once everything is in place and I know there's adequate adjustability and it all works as planned, I'll post some pics with measurements.
I can already tell you that to get things where I wanted them, the location of the hinge on my car is measuring out about 1/4" - 3/8" forward of where Andy has his.

The good news is that, near as I can tell so far, the specific location of the hinge (within maybe around 1" - 1 1/2"), isn't that critical. It'll be easier to document once I get it hooked up to the trunk lid and verify my assumptions about the geometry of this contraption!

beer.gif Thank you Chris beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
Great news! After 17 years of cutting, welding, sawzall deconstruction, And finally engine installation, Chris has finally finished the car! evilgrin.gif poke.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 31 2017, 05:47 PM) *

Great news! After 17 years of cutting, welding, sawzall deconstruction, And finally engine installation, Chris has finally finished the car! evilgrin.gif poke.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif

Rob,
Jealousy is such an unbecoming look on you...
happy11.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 31 2017, 10:18 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 31 2017, 05:47 PM) *

Rob,
Jealousy is such an unbecoming look on you...
happy11.gif

What Chris? The welds are amazing! happy11.gif
tygaboy
Final steps in the flip trunk.
First, figure out the location of the threaded bosses and drill for clearance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.