Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
tygaboy
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 15 2018, 03:04 PM) *

I've been meaning to say something about your lack of skills, but wanted to be polite. av-943.gif Man, I would kill for your lack of skills! That coach building class should be a blast. Can't wait to see what you build when you come back!

Well, you are too kind. But don't kid yourself; your repairs are looking super!

Stuff I want to do as I build the metal shaping skills (tho I'll probably focus first on getting the car is road worthy):
- aluminum console cover
- steel roof
- aluminum doors, hood and trunk
- aluminum fuel tank

Don't hold your breath...
Dion
Enjoy Chris. Can’t wait to see the next chapter of this project.
Garland
Great work, well though out, detailed.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 15 2018, 06:28 PM) *

As I'm working to fabricate the fire wall access panel and looking at the other sheet metal work I have to do, I realized I don't yet have the skills I need to get the results at the level of quality I want.

So the project is going on a "sorta hold" while I practice. To help speed this along, I've signed up to take a 4-day coach building course from Wray Schelin (Pro Shaper) in MA.

http://www.proshaper.com/

In the meantime, here's a small hood scoop practice project I did. It turned out nicely but it just feel like much of it was luck. So, off to school I go...

You better find time to visit my shop when you come to take Wray's course!
I think he's only half an hour or so away.
jd74914
agree.gif You're pretty close. I live right around there too and would love to meet.

When is the class? So jealous!!
Krieger
Dad, can I go with you? That looks really cool.
ChrisFoley
My dad took a one week course from Fay Butler, also in western Mass. when he started his airplane restoration. He also took me to visit Fay one time to talk about which Pulmax to look for. His shop was in a very old building in the middle of no-where.
I bought some sheet metal from Wray a few years ago when his shop was still in CT.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 15 2018, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 15 2018, 06:28 PM) *

As I'm working to fabricate the fire wall access panel and looking at the other sheet metal work I have to do, I realized I don't yet have the skills I need to get the results at the level of quality I want.

So the project is going on a "sorta hold" while I practice. To help speed this along, I've signed up to take a 4-day coach building course from Wray Schelin (Pro Shaper) in MA.

http://www.proshaper.com/

In the meantime, here's a small hood scoop practice project I did. It turned out nicely but it just feel like much of it was luck. So, off to school I go...

You better find time to visit my shop when you come to take Wray's course!
I think he's only half an hour or so away.

PM sent. Looking forward to meeting you in person!
tygaboy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 15 2018, 08:36 PM) *

agree.gif You're pretty close. I live right around there too and would love to meet.

When is the class? So jealous!!

Jim - It'd be great to meet up!
I'm taking the April 6-9 session and plan to travel home late afternoon of the 10th.
I'm hoping to swing by Tangerine Racing that morning so we could meet up on the 10th or maybe meet for dinner one night during class. We get a whopping 1.5 hours to eat between 5:30 - 7:00 each evening.
Let me know what works and we'll get it on calendar.
Chris
tygaboy
Some of you know I do "yard art", decorative gates and the like, as another hobby/business. That makes it a little easier to justify some of the things I do. One upcoming project I have is to make a large, sheet metal fire place surround. Given that, and all the sheet metal stuff I want to do on the RaceRod, I treated myself to a magnetic brake.

Haven't even plugged it in but expect to road test it this weekend.

If any of you local guys need metal bent, please feel free to come on over!
jd74914
[quote name='tygaboy' date='Jan 26 2018, 02:47 PM' post='2572046']
...I treated myself to a magnetic brake.
Wow. That's awesome!! I've always wondered how well they work, can't wait to read a "review." What did you get for fingers with it?
tygaboy
[quote name='jd74914' date='Jan 26 2018, 01:43 PM' post='2572077']
...I treated myself to a magnetic brake.
Wow. That's awesome!! I've always wondered how well they work, can't wait to read a "review." What did you get for fingers with it?
[/quote]

It comes with a full width bar, a full width bar with random slots so you can fold various size box/pans by sliding the work to a location where the existing folds fit, and it has an assortment of various sized fingers from half width on down.

What's even cooler is that you can use a tube/pipe instead of the fingers and it'll bend that radius!

Here's a vid that shows it in action. The radius bending starts at 4:09:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWvMW1Zxoyc
tygaboy
Back to working on the console/tunnel and I got to use the mag bender. I played with it to start the learning process then was able to put it to actual use on fabbing a bulkhead for the fuel lines to facilitate the transition for the hard to soft lines.

This is likely a practice piece but it turned out pretty well.
It's also nice that the console design let's me take it in and out of the car so I can do this sort of work on the bench. It'd be a royal pain to do this going in and out of the car...
tygaboy
And here it is in place. The hard lines will run back to another bulkhead at the rear of the console and the soft lines will run up through the same location as stock: through that there oval hole.
Dion
The fabrication and metalworking never ceases to amaze.
Very cool Chris.
tygaboy
As expected, after playing with the bulkhead, I now have a better idea of what I want and decided to leverage the plasma table to do all the shape and hole cutting. Here's the latest design:

Holes for the fuel line bulkhead fittings, opening for the brake and clutch hard lines, throttle cable and electrical to pass through. There will be a separate bulkhead for the brake and clutch lines's hard to soft transition.
tygaboy
And while I was plasma-ing, I cut the blank for the Speedhut gauges. Next is to shape it to fit the stock gauge opening.
tygaboy
Lessons learned / gaining experience / developing skills:

Do the major metal shaping before cutting large holes. With the holes, the part was too flexy for me to get controlled, crisp "around the corner" edges as I was tipping the flange on the bead roller. It was also challenging to hammer and dolly to shrink the corners to vertical once they were tipped in.

But a good practice piece!

The next one will be better.
tygaboy
It's even curved, like the stock piece.
timothy_nd28
Impressive smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
I'll have to come back up there now to play with that bender.

Maybe wait until you come back from your sheet metal class so you can show off your new skills in person.
Krieger
Very cool!
Andyrew
Way to cool! That bender is trick! Is it an electronic magnet that keeps the pieces from rolling/moving while bending? That is way cool.

Love the bulkhead with the AN lines.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 31 2018, 07:50 AM) *

Way to cool! That bender is trick! Is it an electronic magnet that keeps the pieces from rolling/moving while bending? That is way cool.

Love the bulkhead with the AN lines.

Andew - Yep, that's exactly what it is. Feel free to come over anytime you need to bend something!
tygaboy
Speaking of bending, I fabbed Version 2 of the bulkhead. It turned out just how I hoped. Way nicer design/outcome than V1.

The mag bender really is magical in terms of what you can do.
tygaboy
And here it is in place. Pretty neat, even if it will get covered up.
tygaboy
Then I gave the gauge panel another go. I'm not great at measuring so there are a couple gaps in the upper corners I'll correct in Version 3. That said, I actually nailed the upper mounting holes! aktion035.gif
Mueller
That part is very cool, it came out great.
burton73
I know that you have been told this before but,
you have some super skills and some great toys (tools)

Bob B
bbrock
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 31 2018, 03:41 PM) *

That said, I actually nailed the upper mounting holes! aktion035.gif

Interesting. I think I would have used screws. lol-2.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 31 2018, 05:08 PM) *

Nice...

As always, there's one in every crowd... (but around here, it's usually more!)

Kinda like how you post all this amazing work on your repairs and the comment you get is about the pic of the badger! Gotta love 914 Worlders! beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 31 2018, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 31 2018, 05:08 PM) *

Nice...

Kinda like how you post all this amazing work on your repairs and the comment you get is about the pic of the badger! Gotta love 914 Worlders! beerchug.gif

The badger was kind of an inside joke. Andrew PMd me to ask if I knew that my last name means "badger" in Old English. Then he asked for more animal pics. I had to do it.
tygaboy
The brake line bulk head was a tricky little bugger. Lots of bends in many directions that required planning to determine which should be bent first, next, etc. Of course I didn't figure that out until I made the first bend... dry.gif
But in the end, it turned out pretty well.

It'll be soft lines from the clutch and brake master cyls to this bulk head (recommended by a number of racer buddies and the fellows at BRMS), then hard lines through the car.

Mostly this bulk head fab has been head scratching and test fitting to be sure I can get to all the connections and that I'm not creating an "impossible to service" situation.

But this all looks like it'll work fine. Onward... smash.gif
tygaboy
and the back side. I can get a brake line wrench on there...
tygaboy
I've been stuck on what I want to do with the fire wall and the access cover. Partly landing on a design and partly determining how to close things off so the cover will seal.
The latest thinking is that I'll remove virtually all the stock fire wall (leaving the window seal area and the vertical section below what) and build a new one from scratch.

Part of today I:
- fabbed a new, larger upper rear section of the console. This is to give me more room for fuel, clutch, brake, throttle cable, etc.
- mocked up a wire frame of design V1 of the access panel
tygaboy
Then I started on the new fire wall panels.

I plan to copy most of the planes / angles of the stock fire wall. Here's the first practice piece that will serve as the lower vertical.

It's got a 90 degree tipped edge that I'll spot weld to the cross bar from the engine side, same as the factory part.
Spoke
Awesome work! Your car is a race car with a 914 wrapper. Beautiful metal work.

One thing I noticed on post #822 pertains to your ebrake cable routing. Looks like you've removed or remade the metal part that redirects the cable going to the handle. I never liked this arrangement as you couldn't see what was under it since I had tons of rust in the floor and longs.

I took a different approach to this cable redirector and made it a roller.

From post #822:
Click to view attachment

I welded a bolt to the floor on a couple of stiffener plates.

Click to view attachment

The roller works well and doesn't have that hidden area under the original redirector plate.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 11 2018, 05:01 PM) *

Awesome work! Your car is a race car with a 914 wrapper. Beautiful metal work.

One thing I noticed on post #822 pertains to your ebrake cable routing. Looks like you've removed or remade the metal part that redirects the cable going to the handle. I never liked this arrangement as you couldn't see what was under it since I had tons of rust in the floor and longs.

I took a different approach to this cable redirector and made it a roller.

The roller works well and doesn't have that hidden area under the original redirector plate.

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully, it'll turn out the way I have it planned. If so, it'll be awesome! laugh.gif

And I really like your roller design. I think I'll copy you on that one. Clean, simple and easier to manage... Nice! Thanks for the pics! aktion035.gif
andrewb
[/quote]

Nice...

[/quote]

The badger was kind of an inside joke. Andrew PMd me to ask if I knew that my last name means "badger" in Old English. Then he asked for more animal pics. I had to do it.
[/quote]

This is a car forum ??? new_shocked.gif new_shocked.gif

Seriously Chris - there are only 2 threads I follow on here - yours and Brent's.
If I don't comment on yours it's 'cos I'm usually lost for words beerchug.gif pray.gif
tygaboy
Took today off so was able to work a bit on the firewall.
Love, love, love this bender. It makes quick(er) work of making these parts.
tygaboy
This piece serves to seal off the top of the access opening. Lots more work to do...

The induction system is off as I need to relocate the throttle cable stop to the opposite end of the valley cover topper as the Borla stacks are designed for a front engine set up. I didn't want to run the throttle cable all the way around the engine!

Pics once it's done. It's looking really tidy.
tygaboy
This is the current thinking re: the replacement firewall design. The center section (below the cross bar) will be removable. I get all the clearance I need for fuel lines, etc, it's easy to service things that would otherwise be a real pain to get to.

I'm still working on the design above the cross bar but I really like the "mini-tub" look that it has going on behind the door bar.

(Hey, it is the RaceRod, so I figure it's OK... happy11.gif )

Now, can I duplicate all this in metal and have it look the way I want? idea.gif

Wish me luck.
tygaboy
And the throttle cable stop relocation has been completed. Here are the before and after shots.
Before it was angled, now it's a straight shot, just ~180 degrees out from how it came!

It turned out nice and tidy! aktion035.gif
tygaboy
After
Krieger
I like the look of the firewall. Great job on throttle cable stop too.
Cracker
Are you going to make WCR in June (with the RaceRod)???? Looks great as usual Chris!

BTW: Is there a "clearance" requirement to have the "bulge" in the center of the firewall (I don't see one) or is this just your fancy-pants expression of teener-art?

T
tygaboy
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 17 2018, 03:59 PM) *

Are you going to make WCR in June (with the RaceRod)???? Looks great as usual Chris!

BTW: Is there a "clearance" requirement to have the "bulge" in the center of the firewall (I don't see one) or is this just your fancy-pants expression of teener-art?

T

Tony, I think there's very little chance of this running in time for June, but who knows.

The way I've decided to route the fuel lines and throttle cable are contributing to the bulge. I suppose it could be smaller but it doesn't get in the way of anything so I'm giving myself some extra room in the engine compartment.
tygaboy
As Yoda might say:

"To the new fire wall, he is committed."
Mueller
Chris, even if the car shows up on a trailer it will let people drool over it in person smile.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 19 2018, 07:48 AM) *

Chris, even if the car shows up on a trailer it will let people drool over it in person smile.gif

Mike - Thanks for the nice thoughts! Not sure it's quite drool worthy (though that'd be a great outcome!). I'll wait til it's running, at least, before taking it out in public.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.