1st 914forme (Stephen) 19
2nd Garland (John) 16
2nd trojanhorspower (Peter) 16
3rd Nutter965 (Neale) 12
4th Andyrew (Andrew) 11
5th RJMII (Jim) 9

_________

15 Porsche 914s. 1 Year. 1 Challenge.

The 2017 914 Build-Off Challenge is on. What is the challenge? Finish building your 914 in 1 year. What is the deadline? 914 Day - September 14, 2017.

What are the prizes?
1st place will receive a full refund of all of the money they spend with 914rubber between October 15, 2016, and September 14, 2017. This is in addition to bargain rights, and a cool trophy.

As if that were not enough, 914rubber is offering a discount to all Challenger of 20% off of parts. Restoration Design is also offering a 15% discount to Challengers, through December 31, 2016.

What is this thread?
This is the main Challenge Contest thread. Challengers will post progress "reports" on their builds here. Challengers also have individual threads for their build where they post more details and people can comment on the build.

Why do we do this?
First, to get more 914s back on the road. Second, for the Challengers to inspire and share their experiences, so that others will get their 914 back on the road. Besides, everybody likes a little public competition, right?

Who won the 2016 Challenge? This guy - Garland (John):

IPB Image

John is in the middle. Mark Whitesell of 914rubber is on the right (in addition to providing Challengers with discounts, he gave a full refund of all money spent with 914rubber on the build as a prize to the winner), and Steve Martin is on the left. After finishing his car, John drove it from Michigan to Okteenerfest in North Carolina and collected his trophy, the golden jack stand.

The top five Challengers in the 2016 Build-Off Challenge were:
1st Place - Garland
2nd Place - Darren C
3rd Place - Andyrew
4th Place - Olympic 1.7
5th Place - DirtyCossack

You can read more about the 2016 Build-Off Challenge, including seeing all of the Challengers' build posts here.

Why are there some Challengers from the 2016 Challenge in the contest again?
We had a few Challengers from the 2016 Build-Off Challenge that either didn't finish their car, or, like John, wanted to commit to taking it to the next level. So we created a special class of Challengers for those that wanted to do it again - Part Deux. Sometimes it take a little longer than expected to get these cars back on the road. The new Challengers and repeating Challengers will be scored separately.

What is the criteria to participate in the new Challenger class?
a. Must include removal and installation, or installation of the engine.
b. Must include significant rust/accident repair, and/or paint and bodywork.
c. Must include significant interior work.
d. Must complete the car and get it driving on the road.

What is the criteria to participate in the repeat Challenger class?
a. Must complete the car and get it driving on the road.
b. Must complete the goals you set out at the outset of the Challenge. These can be goals to complete the car, or to take it the next level.

How are the builds judged?
1. Finishing on time - The car must be "done" and on the road at the end of the build.
The car must be road worthy, including titled, registered, and tagged.
2. Completing all build tasks, as outlined at the beginning of the build. This is determined by the person doing the build, but, roughly set out at the beginning of the build.
3. Quality and workmanship of the final car.

Who judges the builds?
The participants (we call them Challengers), and the members of 914world.

How is the judging conducted?
There are three preliminary rounds, and a final round, ending as follows:

First Round - October to January
Second Road - January to April
Third Round - April to July
Final Round - July to September

At the end of each round the Challengers vote on the builds. The voting is conducted using a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best), based on the following areas:

A. Progress
B. Difficulty
C. Quality and Workmanship

In addition, the members of 914world vote on the build's via an online poll. The Challengers and 914world members' votes will be tallied, and the builds ranked based on the votes. No builds are eliminated at any preliminary rounds.

Final Round of Voting
At the end of the Challenge, the participants and 914world members, make a final vote using the same system as above. The tally of the final votes, along with those from the 3 preliminary rounds, determines the winners.

If you want to read all of the rules, you can do that here.

How is the 2017 Build-Off Challenge different than the 2016 Challenge?
First, the trophy will be bigger. It has to increase in size each year, right? Second, we have added two new rules:
1. Posting is required. If a Challenger doesn't post about their progress (Even if they made none) at least one time per month, they will be eliminated.
2. Voting is required. If a Challenger doesn't vote in the poll for each round, they will be eliminated.

Third, we want to increase our coverage of the builds. This increased coverage will be on 914world, in Fourteener Motoring magazine, on RedlineNine, and we also plan to do some video coverage of the progress of the builds. Stay tuned.

Who are the Challengers? Here they are.

IPB Image
IPB Image
stevegm
This is the Build-Off Challenge contest thread, where Challengers will post their monthly updates on their builds.

EDIT: Please introduce yourself. Or, if your a procrastinator (like me, so no judgment), post a placeholder below. It seems to be the thing to do. Intros are due next Sunday so we can move on.
Rand
People can enter multiple years in a row? (I don't care either way, the question just popped.)
edit: Never mind. I'm looking forward to each one!
tygaboy
Hmmm, I could use a new welding jacket...

I quit!

(Kidding! lol-2.gif )
tygaboy
OK, time to get get serious. This is called a "Challenge", after all.

About me:

Born in 1958, married, no kids, one cat. My wife (Lori) and I are avid cyclists and have been riding a tandem road bike for almost 30 years.
My dad was a car guy but mostly just obsessed with them, didn't do much of his own work. But I did grow up with a TR3 and a 356 coupe.
Had too many cars over the years. The air cooled highlights include:
- '60 VW that I made into a BajaBug (my first car!)
- a few Karmann Ghias
- many VW buses (including a '63 25 window sunroof!) drooley.gif
- 5 914s
- '74 911

I've bounced around on a ton of "interesting" project cars but always wanted to build a street/track day 914 V8 so that's what my Build-Off Challenge car will be. I landed on this '75 as it's a less desirable year. Plus it was already rusty and need significant surgery anyway. So, here we go!

Goals for this car:
- rust repair
- under body refresh
- chassis stiffening
- zippidy do-dah suspension and brakes
- GT flares
- center mount e-brake handle
- LS3/Boxster 6 speed conversion
- interior updates and refresh
- whatever other interesting mods I can think up and fit in to the time frame!

Extra Credit if I get the exterior painted.

My build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=296900

Thanks for the opportunity to play and here's wishing everyone safely and successfully meets their Build-Off Challenge goals!

Chris
3d914
3d914 - 914-SHO build

About me: Married to a wonderful wife, lots of kids (boys & girls) - the last two working their way out onto their own, cats, horses, fish, etc. OK, let's talk about cars.

My dad was always a big car nut. He worked his ass off, sometimes at multiple jobs, to support a large family. I recall for many years we had a single car and it was usually a wagon of some sort. I remember how thrilled my dad was when he was able to afford a second car that he used for commuting to work. I especially remember a project car - a Keiser Manhattan that was in great running condition he was able to buy and enjoy.

Admittedly I really didn't appreciate cars for many years, even after owning my first 914. They were more of a status thing then something to understand, even though I was interested in automotive design. It wasn't until I was involved in raising my own young family that I got the 914 bug again and realized there was no way I could afford this unless I was willing to do everything myself. That's when everything changed - and I'm glad it did.

As I went through every piece of my second 914, rebuilding it, I began to realize how ignorant & foolish I was about cars. Ignorant because I didn't understand them on a deeper level and foolish because I thought there was bragging rights in what one owned. There was no challenge in owning even the most expensive cars - it's all a matter of priorities - what ones willing to give up to have this thing.

The real challenge became - what does it take to learn to do the work necessary to turn a derelict into a diamond? Now that became my challenge.

This build is my first real opportunity to dig into areas that were always a challenge in the past; metal-work, welding, fabrication, extensive body-work, and custom design. My previous three 914s were mostly stock, except for the custome fuel injection I built and ran on my last 2.0L. Even when this one is finished I plan to continue to add other custom touches; push-button door latches, A/C, maybe even a soft-top or two-piece targa top. The two main design challenges are the SHO motor itself and the engine-bay cooling system. Even if the cooling system doesn't work as planned I have another custom (never been tried) approach in my back pocket.

My Goals for this year: Here's the outline of work for the next 50-some weeks.

Rear Trunk
  • Complete firewall modifications
  • Seam seal trunk
  • Build filter box & support frame
Trunk Lid
  • Complete lid customization (NACA ducts, raised section)
  • Complete lid reinforcements
  • Build rear-hinging framework
Engine Lid
  • Hinge lid to trunk lid
  • Build shelf, guides, & lock pins for lid
  • Complete cutouts for mesh
Body Panels
  • Weld panels cutouts (L&R)
  • Cement & fit to FG flares
  • Undercoat inner panels & wheel wells
Dash Modifications
  • Custom fit SHO gauge cluster
  • Modify mid-dash for body color-matching
Interior
  • Fit & build custom seat rails
Primer & Paint
  • Complete paint removal
  • Prep body for primer
  • Send body off for finish work, primer & paint
Electrical
  • Build custom engine harness
  • Install fuse & relay panels in front trunk
  • Rewire front trunk
  • Rewire cockpit, rear trunk
  • Rewire engine bay and connect to engine harness
914 Parts Inventory
  • Inventory & clean all parts to be reused
  • ID & order new/used parts
Install & Assemble
  • Locate Battery in front trunk
  • Install interior & exterior parts
Engine Install
  • Fabricate exhaust
  • Fabricate cooling system & housings
  • Install engine, cooling, & exhaust
My build thread (start this year on page 25): http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...2421&st=480
914forme
No wonder people say I am intimidating. dry.gif

Little about me.

I am married to my wonderful wife of confused24.gif years. I have two great children, and I have a job as a CIO. That job leaves little time for things like cars, I have a very understanding wife, who lets me play a few days each week to keep my sanity. screwy.gif

I have always been a gear head. Some of my fondest memories from childhood happened in cars. Rides with my father in his Lotus Elan, I could only see the trees and phone poles fly by. Never paying for parking, parking gates where taller than the Lotus. Dd sold the Lotus to finance the building of his house.

He got his 914-6 in 1976 from a Repo Auction. It was also torn down in 1976 due to a chain tensioner issue, and never made it back together. We did tons of father son projects and I keep him away from the 914-6. I did used to sit it it and make vrrrm Vrrrm noises while he worked on it.

Lots of cars came and went for me.
He helped me build a CJ-5 - did not like the Jeep, but good for cutting mechanical teeth on.
Next up was a Karmann Ghia, stock on the outside, go fast goodies underneath. Only thing you might notice was the 5.5x15s off a 914 parts car. I also used the rear disc brakes off the 914, poly bushings, etc.... Dad would drive it while I was at college.

In 1993 we purchased the car I am building. He was there to help us build the house, and he gave me the 914 bug.

So that brings us to today.

Goals:
GOALS:

Chassis Work and Welding Done. Yes I actually plan to finish welding the car. I calculate another 75 pounds of welding wire will be used. And most likely another 40 pounds of TIG filler.

Install the Engine

Get it running / driving

Finish body metal work

Make it one Color

Drive to Okteenerfest 2017

Lose 50 pounds from the car in the form of the driver. Yep, I am adding a personnel weight lose goal to the challenge. I will be at or below 208 pounds and at or below an 18% body fat ratio. By the end of the Challenge!

Here is how it sat as the start on October 16th, 2016.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Blue car mounted on the wall in the pictures was the second car I built with my father. Soapbox Derby car. It was made with bulk heads, and then thin strips of redwood stretched over the bulkheads to give it's shape. Fiberglass was applied over that. Inside the car was the first active suspension built into a soap box car. We tied the axles together via spring steel. Very innovative design. I placed second that year, after the winner ran into me. Bent an axle. Should have protested, rules would have allowed me to take their parts to fix my car. I did not think that was right stromberg.gif happens in racing.

My build thread for Part Duex starts at post #263 You are more than welcome to read the rest of the post also, it is full of a bunch of mishmash and rambling.
Curbandgutter
ABOUT ME

I’m married, 5 boys all grown up, professional engineer 26 years, born in Cuba, immigrated to USA when 7 years old, 3rd 914. Used to own an original 6. Have always been into customizing cars. Used to own a customizing shop for a short time right after high school. Father owned a wrought iron company all through child hood. Learned to arc weld when 10. Built go cart at 10. Have rebuilt Porsche 911 engines, body shop experience, engine experience, welding experience, fabricating experience

GOALS FOR THIS CAR

1-Build Rotisserie
2-Build Chassis Table
3-Build suspension jig
4-Sand blast and epoxy prime
5-Repair Rust
6-Replace floor
7-Analyze and design a full tube chassis but integrate into existing unibody so as to keep it a floor pan car
8-Install full 996 suspension
9-Install 996 steering rack
10-Install 996 Pedal Assembly
11- Install 996 radiatiors and add 3rd radiator
12-Install GT Flares
13-Install Vintage Air AC and Heating
14-Install late model Coyote motor
15-Install Custom exhaust

I don't know if I will have the items below completed before the deadline

16- Paint
17-Upholstery

My build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=206845

It starts at page 9.
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

October: Michigan Build

Michigan Build 2016 Link

Michigan Build 2017 Link (starting on page 6)

Im going to continue the build, and entered the 2017 Build-Off Part Deux Challange.

About Me:

My history with the 914 started in 1976, after a friend sold me his 70 and away I went. I learned to do my own work, I always was interested in how things were done, and the reward of my own work, as I learn, over time.
In the late 70’s and in the 80’s I owned multiple cars and always had one or two running.
Now wonderful wife, 2 grown sons. Yet I have always found time, and just a few steps away, to visit the garage and play with the cars. I have owned a dozen or so, over the years. Really want to finish out this car completely and enjoy it, and drive it again to Okteenerfest
Thank you to all that followed and helped with the 2016 Build of this car. Here we go again, just a bit on the lighter side.

Goals

Engine
R & Repair egine oil leaks
Replace front trans seal

Significant body work
Remove the White Plasti-Dip & Finish the final body work
(now primer, multi color and poor finish work underneath)
Prime and block sand
Paint the entire car.

Significant interior work
R & Replace the fuse panel, repair connections
R & Reinstall the interior to add sound deadening
Update sound system,
Modify stock seat comfort

X
Update integrated Running lamp/3rd brake lamp.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dion
PROJECT 2.4
ABOUT ME: Married to my high school sweetheart for 26 years. 2 awesome kids, boy & girl. 1 in college & 1 in high school. I work as an RN in a PACU Unit (recovery room) for the past 20 years. Prior to that for 10 years as a Radiologic Technologist (x-ray & CAT Scan).

My 914 has been an important part of my life. My Dad put down the down payment for it and surprised me with it.
It was parked in my family's garage when I came home from school 30 years ago! I took over the payments and have maintained it ever since. Lots of Sunday drives with my wife as well as the kids, autocrosses and a few track events. Always learning l as I go along.

BUILD GOALS: Repair rusted left longitudinal.
Replace left sill and door jamb.
Remove rear quarter panel for better access for repairs.
Replace lower left inner firewall.
Repair left front & rear jack donuts.
Remove 4 cylinder engine mounts.
Install 2.4 six cylinder engine and all that goes with it!

INCLUDING: 911 front struts, Front aluminum "S" calipers. (Thanks Mepstein)
Rear GT brakes (Ferrari 308 a.t.e.) rebuilt by PMB
Original oil tank (Thanks TC) lines,etc
Finish all that up with a respray of left rear quarter panel,firewall,rear trunk lid and sail panels and Targa bar. I will be leaning on my pal Dave (914Dave) for help with
the painting and some mechanical assistance.

I've already replaced all the gaskets on my Zenith carbs. Changed the cap,rotor,& wires &
Painted the six engine tins. Need to adjust valves.
Also will install a new carpet set courtesy 914rubber (thanks Mark)

Prepping to install the carpets led to my discovery of the perforated
left longitudinal!
I also have a NOS dash to install as well as a center deposit box.
Well that's it for now. Pretty simple compared to some of these other builds.
You fellas have some fantastic fabrication skills and knowledge.
Good luck to all.
Cheers,Dion
CAMshaft
I have wanted a 914, any 914 since I was 12 years old when my father’s friend built a GT clone race car. The only time I've ridden in a 914 was when he came off track and let me sit, wedged in between the roll bars, as he went through the paddock. After thirty years of reading about them, drawing pictures, saving pictures, bookmarking sites and generally lusting after this car I picked up my own. It wasn't the 74 2.0 with the appearance group I had decided was the best choice and it wasn't running so I couldn't get immediate joy of ownership from it but it was local and looked to be in the sweet spot between cost and condition. That is until I got it home. It appears the PO must have had a whole box of stainless self-tapping screws since everything is held in place (and then some) with the same size screw. He also didn't know how to weld but by the look of it liked to play with fiberglass and metal tape. All in all, I think I'm still in decent shape considering some of the pictures I've seen. I have two young boys and a daughter that are eager to pitch in and I am looking forward to teaching them (or learning with them) some mechanical skills and the joys of bringing something worthwhile back to life. Some background information on myself. Aside from the aforementioned children I have a wonderful wife, a trusty dog, grumpy cat and two guinea pigs. I am an automotive designer and have been around car fabrication my whole career but have very little hands on experience. Basically, I know what it should look like and what is required but can't always execute or don't have the required tools to do it myself. That said I have friends and beer money so I might be leaning on the 'buddy help' contingency in the rules. I also work in 'Race City USA' so if you can't get it fabricated here then then there is no hope.

My goals are

I would like to have a really clean driver as close to original as possible with some custom touches.

Motor

Toss out the 4" over bored jugs and build a slightly hotter than stock 2.0 that will be reliable. Stick with the Twin Weber set up an pick a good cam

Chassis

Mortgage house and open up line of credit with Restoration Design
Replace semi non-existent outer firewall
Replace engine skirt sheet metal
Install correct battery tray
Longs look to be good with the 'screwdriver doesn't penetrate them' test but will know better once we get the firewall out
Repair and or replace floor
remove Ace Hardware gate hinges PO used for seat brackets with correct seat parts. Because I don't want my cause of death to be noted as "Ace Hardware seat bracket failure"
Rebuild brakes

Body

Strip, repair, paint back to original Light Ivory. I didn't want a 76 and I never dreamt about having a white 914 but I really don't want a color change car with back dated bumpers so here we are.
Since all the seals are cracked or over sprayed I am going to replace these.

Interior

All new rubber
Reupholster seats.
Eventually I would like new everything but realistically the mechanical and bodywork are going to consume the majority of my time and resources.
JmuRiz
Finally updating my first entry...nasty cold that's taken out my close family the last 4+ weeks.

A bit about me/car:
I bought this car shortly after getting out of college, Dec 2000!!! (JMU, hence my user name).
It was my first manual transmission car, and I learned how to drive stick on it. I had a friend give it a once-over in Atlanta after sending him an OLD "what to look for" list. Took a chance and flew down, bought it and drove it back to the DC area.

My goals are to drive my car before my 10 year wedding anniversary! The last time it was driven any distance was as my getaway car at my marriage 9 years ago. I made a vow to my wife to get the car converted, fixed up, and running by our 10th in late Sept.

More details and pics to come when I open my stand-alone posting...again when I feel better.

Motor

Was originally a 1.7, was a carb'd cam'd 2.0/4 when I bought it. Ran great and no issues, but the /6 bug bit me.

I got a core 2.7 911 engine with CIS that I plan to:
- Install SC-grind cams
- Swap CIS for a good set of webber 40s
- Have the top end seals etc done
- fingers crossed that's all it needs!!!

Interior

- New rubber
- New door cards
- New carpet with some custom touches if it goes as planned
- Might do a new dash, or keep my dash cover...not sure yet until the other stuff is nice and new.
- Updated gauges: triple gauge and either convert 911 tach or use tach-adapt for my stock one.
- New sound system, either hidden or retro-look.
- Install Engman driver and passenger foot rests.

Chassis

- Fix any rust issues on the car....my car is quite solid, but you never know till you start digging with a screwdriver/pick
- Install /6 conversion engine mount
- Install Engman chassis stiffening kit
- Get bumpers re-chromed
- New SS fuel lines
- Clean and refinish gas tank if needed

Body

- Repaint body in Ravenna Green. I could never change the color, it's perfectly 70s!!!
- Install full LED lighting (turn signals F/R, 3rd brake light, etc)
- Custom touches like removing side warts, windshield washer setup, antenna location. This should clean up the lines just a little bit.
trojanhorsepower
Place holder for me as well. I am travelling alot for work now but should be able to get everything posted this weekend.
Andyrew
Placeholder.
DavidSweden
Place holder
Will post details and pics at weekend
jd74914
About me:
Hi everyone, my name is James. I’m 28 and have owned this car for the last 15 years. I bought when I was 13 as a basket case, restored to stock over the next 5.5 years (engine rebuild, extensive rust repair, paint, etc. all in my parent’s garage), and then drove daily for ~3.5 years of undergrad. The heat never really worked well so it was pretty cold in the winter but my friends and I had a lot of great times with it, especially in the snow with a trusty set of Blizzaks! We’re pretty sure everyone on campus knew the loud, little, yellow car that some guy drove like a maniac!

Because of school, work, racecars, and other peoples’ cars I really neglected my own car for those years and problems started cropping back up. I parked it after graduating and getting a full time job with the intention of fixing the little problems. Life got in the way, and somehow I went from 22 to 28 without the car moving from its garage bay.

I don’t have too much time to work since I’m in the home stretch of my engineering PhD (I study low-emissions combustors for aerospace applications using advanced laser diagnostics—it sounds cooler than it actually is, don’t worry…), but now seems like the right time to finish ‘er up. It’d be really nice to be able to drive home from my defense. smile.gif

My goals are pretty aggressive and while I’ve started working there is still a ton left to do. The most challenging pieces are going to be the fully custom bits since many of them still require a lot of engineering before the fabrication.

Goals:
Chassis: Finish rust repair, Get into epoxy primer

Suspension (Front): Convert to 911SC front suspension, raise spindles, correct bumpsteer, build/install custom sway bar, install new consumables (bushings, etc.)

Suspension (Rear): Finish custom raised pickup/monoball rear suspension

Brakes: Change to 911 calipers, rebuild calipers, replace consumables (rotors, pads, etc.)

Engine/Transmission: Install EJ255 motor with 2WD converted Subaru transmission, design/build cooling system/hydraulic clutch/cable shift

Electronics (Chassis): Design new chassis harness and rewire entire chassis with InifnityBox multiplex wiring system (distributed solid state power controls)

Electronics (Engine): Design new engine harness and install aftermarket Syvecs S8 engine control unit

Existing build thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=227430

Post 38 is the starting point for the build-off challenge...
Nutter965
Mmmmm, put myself forward again , for better or worse I really need to get this finished .........
tygaboy
October Update
Build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=296900

ACCOMPLISHMENTS - See build thread for the bonus details and photos!
1. Hell hole and long repaired with no impact to the door gaps/chassis measurements! cheer.gif

2. Chassis stiffening parts fab:
Procured, trimmed and fit a custom set of inner long stiffeners
Fabbed the front and rear roll hoops, door bars and door bar supports, custom upper firewall support beam and lower firewall cross member (do I at least get style points for roll bending the curves in the "through the firewall" rear hoop and firewall support? biggrin.gif )

CHALLENGES
I'm super paranoid about messing up the chassis while welding and didn't enjoy slicing out that big a piece of the inner long. I'd actually repaired that area earlier but believed I could do a better job. I put the car on the rotisserie and modified the Tangerine Racing door braces so I could keep the doors on and check door gaps throughout the repair.
I did my best to follow the guidance I pick up in threads by Jeff Hail (how to do the sleeves) to Rick 918-S (guidance on placement of the door brace update). It all paid off and the gaps and other chassis measurements are spot on.

VENDORS
Tangerine Racing: 5 of 5 stars rating for the door braces and mods to my trailing arms, including their 911 ebrake adapter kit. Also got their raised rear pick up and shock tower kit.
Restoration Design: 5 of 5 star rating for the rear floor, which I will use, and a bunch of other parts that I've decided I won't need and will be selling. Yep, even this early on, I'm into the "my loss, your gain" model... Let's hope that doesn't continue!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 17 2016, 03:29 PM) *

I quit!

(Kidding! lol-2.gif )

I never did find out who gets the scarlet letter jacket. idea.gif

Who was the official winner, or should I ask who was the official loser. poke.gif
914forme
October Update
Build thread: All the details and extras are here, part Duex starts on Post 263

1. Might be close to being done with the rear trunk floor. av-943.gif

2. Suspension items all test fit and pieces made to adjust parts and spacing.

3. New pedal box is being built

CHALLENGES
Found that one of my two suspension ears is off. Need to check the rest of the chassis to make sure it is square to the pickup points. My own apprehension about cutting up the car. And changing my mind on parts and design features. Made lots of progress just by saying F'IT! and jumping in there and doing. Running out of welding supplies on a Sunday, 1st world problems.

VENDORS
Tangerine Racing: 11 of 10 stars rating!!! piratenanner.gif Love Chris' work, yes his stuff goes to 11! aktion035.gif
Using his Door bracing, and have the new plate to use for when I get to door fitting.
Work on the rear arms was drooley.gif 911 e-brakes, and backers, re-enforced, and powder coated.
Rear suspension raising 2"
Front camber plates
Front spindles raised on my Bone struts wub.gif All of Chris' service where purchased back in June of 2016, I just now getting to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Rebel Racing 9 out of 10, nit picking, never got a tracking number.
I had these items stored away, but the brake kits are awesome, every thing fit great, and they look so drooley.gif

Paragon Products 10 out of 10
New rear shocks for my 914 Koni great communication through the whole process cheer.gif

Other notable notes:
Chris aka Tygaboy for posting this great format that I so intentionally stole beer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
stevegm
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 31 2016, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 17 2016, 03:29 PM) *

I quit!

(Kidding! lol-2.gif )

I never did find out who gets the scarlet letter jacket. idea.gif

Who was the official winner, or should I ask who was the official loser. poke.gif

I thought I sent it to you. I'll PM when I get home.
jd74914
October Update
Build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=227430

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
1. Took a picture of me and cleaned off the car (lame, I know and I still need a higher-quality one). It had ~ 2 years of storage on top of it which is all gone now

2. Added sway bar into suspension model.

3. Started engine disassembly. Removed and disassembled intake manifold. Started gutting TGVs (tumble generating valves).

CHALLENGES
Time! October/November are tough time months since most of the conference deadlines for me are in December. sad.gif

VENDORS
None this month...

Click to view attachment
stevegm
Don't forget to post updates for October. Since it is halloween, and we just started the Challenge two weeks ago, we aren't going to hold anybody to having to post their first update before November 1st. But, let's get them posted this week, and we will start official update deadlines for November.
Mitox
OK, an introduction is in order:

This is a 1976 914 that is/was originally ivory white.

Link to build thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2397587

My goals are:
- complete the body prep, strip the underside, repaint and undercoat.
- upgrade the front suspension to 911 5 lug
- upgrade the rear to 5 lug and 911 parking brakes
- install 3.2 from '88 911
- reinstall original interior; I'll tackle a new interior later
- dream of other upgrades and make a very long list

About me:
Name- Michael Todd
I live in Southwestern Virginia and am married with one daughter in college, and a son and daughter in high school. This is my first 914; I've been planning this project for the last 15 years after I sold my first Porsche, a 1969 912 ( wish I still had it). I've debated between an all original 2.0 and a GT tribute settling on the latter. I purchased the car late last year with metal flares installed, though they needed a lot of work to correct the installation before the real fun could start. I'm looking forward to the work to come, and especially to driving the GT next fall through the Virginia mountains.

I'll post a few progress pics in a day or two; I'm expecting rapid change over the next few months.
Click to view attachment
3d914
3d914 - 914 SHO Build / October Update

Build Thread: Challenge 2017 starts on page 25

Accomplishments:
Working mostly in the Rear Trunk and Body Panel areas. The air box has been mocked up in cardboard and test fit. I now have the dimensions to begin the framework design that support the air box. I've decided to combine the hinge framework with the air box framework, and already started the design work. I have a metal supplier in Tucson who will cut the framework pieces for me from the CAD data - which will be faster than me attempting it by hand.

Rear firewall section is welded in. It's now ready for primer and seam sealer. Just have to wait till I get design work done and pieces ordered.

Started the cleanup in both rear quarters and flares to get the cut-out panels back in. Got the right side panel clamped in- ready for welding. The left side flare has been cleaned and just waiting for panel cement. I'll be fitting and cutting the left side patch panel this week.

Challenges:
Figuring out the modifications needed for the Mini hinges. Found a used set on ebay and was able to get dimensions off them. I can even retain the mounting bracket. Once I got the dimensions in CAD I was able to verify the movement of the trunk and the hinge to ensure no interference.

Vendor support this month: None

Pictures:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

stevegm
Don't forget to post updates for October. Since it is halloween, and we just started the Challenge two weeks ago, we aren't going to hold anybody to having to post their first update before November 1st. But, let's get them posted this week, and we will start official update deadlines for November.
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

October Update: Michigan Build

Michigan Build 2017 Link (takes you to pg:6)

2017 Build progress :

Starting with the interior. The goal here is, improve the sound system, and add some comfort, plus a few small things along the way like the new fuse panel, sound padding, and dash layout. In addition I have never taken care of the floor pan. I removed the tar padding, and worked on the dash a bit.

Overall I want to keep it "clean" less is more. I have loved the simple dash design from the first time I saw it. That was a '70 basic, not even a fog lamp switch.

Removed some Plasti-dip, peel off paint.

Unexpected challenges:

Removing Plasti-Dip from primed parts of the body work, little bit at a time.

I have removed this material before, and a heat gun works best. warm it up, and scrape it off. In some spots it will lift off like a sheet. In others it may pop up due to rust. I found that this time it took a lot of effort to remove. It get tougher with age, the tar not me. : ) Some rust spots, and seems to repair. More surface rust then I thought would be there. This will pay off on my satisfaction meter when done.

I also found that with the radio, and glove box removed, theres a lot of space there. I would like to keep the sub, but not the center console. Built a trail foam board box. More to come on this.

Vendors:

Not this month, but carpet from 914 rubber is on my mind.

Progress Pictures:

Heres a few shots. See the Build link for more, and the whole story. Thanks for the look.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Michigan Build 2016 Link pg: 1-5
CAMshaft
Build Thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=297659

The theme for October was to inventory my new purchase, familiarize myself with the breed and make a loose plan. I wasn't initially going to do the build challenge thinking that I didn't want to rush or make hasty decisions based on a contest. Giving it more thought I figured I'm going to be doing the work anyway and since there will be a captive audience I'm bound to get more input and it just sounds like fun.

Challenges

So far has been educating myself on all aspects of the car and motor which has been rewarding but mentally strenuous bordering on information overload. Another challenge is space. I needed to be more efficient with storage of bikes, sports equipment etc. in a single car garage.

Progress

Take motor down to short block
Begin tear down to body-in-white
Build a 8'X2' workbench with a lower shelf to hold 914 related stuff
Organize the shop
Learn about the car
Identify vendors
Start a shopping list
Get everything in order for the challenge (picture folder, 914-world login)

Vendors

Lowes

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The craftsmanship of this job is just impeccable.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
October Update

Challenges
Sick Sick Sick: Biggest challenge thus far is me and my family have been sick as dogs for the past 4+ weeks. I'm starting week 3 and my wife and 2YO have been sick for 4-5 week. Makes working on a car project take a back seat for a bit.

But we were able to do a little engine work to get it ready to take to my builder friend.

Progress
- I was able to get the CIS system off the donor motor, with the help of my little one.
- I got the following over to my engine/trans builder friend to give it a once over and start assessing the damage ($$$).
o - 2.7 Engine
o - 901 side-shift transmission - to asses the condition if it can handle a /6
o - Webber 40 cabs, manifolds, airbox
o - 3-bearing SC grind cams from Elgin
o - stock /6 oil cooler to be cleaned and pressure tested
o - early /6 flywheel for conversion

- Basically I sent some stuff off to have done and hope it won't break the budget already biggrin.gif
- Bought some stuff....I'm really good at that
o - Bought new door cards from 914 rubber
o - Put my deposit on the new 914/6 heat exchangers being made by mb911
o - Much more buying and sorting of stuff already bought to come biggrin.gif

Vendors
- 914 rubber has been great as always
- mb911 has been great thus far, his progress on the heater boxes is great!
Dion
Ok. So a tardy pic from October & a current one. Work and family
duty didn't give me much time in garage this past weekend.
Started removing welds on sail and left rear quarter panel.
I did receive parts from Restoration Design last week
as I posted in my "2.4 project thread"
Removed boot lid for better access. It needs a respray anyway.
Fair warning if ya still have torsion bars connected and you remove that rear boot lid.
Those hinges have plenty of force to move without weight on them. And can do bodily harm. Don't ask how I found out. Don't do things when your tired.
I zip tied them in closed position.
Dion
Everything's out. Battery tray area & hell hole are just fine.
Darren C
Some great work taking place already on this 2017 Challenge. I'll certainly watch with anticipation of who'll be next years winner.

Good luck guy's

Regards
Darren

Steve, just a quick bump....it's November now and I still haven't had my 2016 Challengers Tee shirt, despite asking numerous times now????
DavidSweden
Well nothing has happened and no recent pictures of the car I will post later, sorry I have been in England visiting me mum so have had no time
What am I going to do when I finally get my act together?

Install 2,2 six
Electrics for engine convertion
Make oil tank.
Make engine tins
Make steel roof
Make body reinforcements
Make heat exchanger boxes around headers
Install flares if I can afford it

So far got Mad dog engine mount and MSN headers, also a TIG welder but I need to practice. I plan to make the oil tank from aluminium so the TIG is ACDC its second hand unit without too many frills but it works good
I am trying to sell my engine its still in the car so I can show and start it if I ever get a buyer. This is holding me up a bit.

The roof is a big job, if anyone has some good pics or advice on making the roof then please get in touch. I have looked at Chris Foleys steel roof pics on FB, like I said its a big job for someone with my skill level but I am going to do (attempt) it. This will mean investing in an English wheel?
I will start on the roof as I can do this with the engine in.

I should mention that I have already done a 5 lug and 911 handbrake conversion, backdated bumpers the car is a 76, Installed GT6 front calipers and 911 rear callipers vented discs and 19mm MS. I dont think there's to much rust as I have allready done repairs and the car was in good condition, but time will tell.

Wish me luck

Curbandgutter
Ocotober 2016 Update:

Link to my build: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=206845

Accomplishments:

Well I finished reinforcing the longs with my truss design. I also added the rear firewall truss connecting the two truss longs at the rear firewall. This will give me greatly increased torsional rigidity.

Goal for November:

Complete tube frame and install 996 suspension. Extending the wheelbase BTW.
trojanhorsepower
Ok. Finally an intro
Click to view attachment

Here is the crew. Many of you know Hugh from Okteenerfest. Gretta is my girl. She likes to help on the car also, but we have not done much lately. Amy (wife) took the picture.

My car is a 74 2l 4 cylinder. Marathon Blue Metallic
We live in Marion NC not far from Banner Elk where Okteenerfest was for the last two years.

Unfortunately I was unable to finish in the last challenge, but if I can only get past this quarter panel problem, I feel like I can make some real progress. I have just about everything to do to my car. I have already done a lot of the metal work, but I still have to finish the seat mount install, fix a small rust hole, trunk lid hinge points and pass rear quarter panel. Then all I have left is everything else! I plan to get the car stripped, then paint it myself, recondition/replace everything and install it. The motor has been mostly built for about 10 years and on an engine stand. I still need to sort out a transmission, all the suspension bits, brakes....
October update:
I have not done anything this month, at least nothing that you can see. But Have already started for November!

Dion
November update:
As I posted on my build thread, I've removed the rear quarter. Well the hits keep coming... removed some of the undercoat on susp. console. Surprise! A hole dry.gif
It is very satisfying however to know that once all this bodywork
is addressed there are never anymore questions about its integrity. I always knew
the left side of the car was questionable. As a novice to this car hobby I dropped
some serious $ having the right long. & battery tray,etc. taken care of. It was done
correctly by a pro resto shop. No worries on that side.
So it's up to me to shore up this left side. So basically not to bore any more
most of the next weeks is cutting and grinding. Nothing glamorous or innovative.
I did however receive some pretty trinkets from PMB!
Thanks Eric & co.!

Dion
Console
jasons
Ok, so I'm a late entrant to the build off...

About Me
This is my 4th 914, its a 1975, I also currently own a 73 2.0 that's a great driver. The 75 has been a project for too long. A lot of the hard stuff is done and it's pretty far along, but I need to get it over the hump. Since I'm getting a late start I haven't worked on the car since the build off launched. But, my first order of business will be finishing the Engman long kit I've started to install.

Build thread coming....

About my car
Whats done
Rust repair is done. This includes the rear trunk, hell hole, firewall, some small patches in the longs.
PO, cut a big hole in the front bulkhead for a fuel cell. I welded in a bulkhead cut from a donor car.
Repaired an AC hole in the front trunk. Left partially open for the front oil cooler.
Cleaned up a dirty cut for the front oil cooler from PO.
Fiberglass flares fit to be bolted on.
Fiberglass lids fit
Front Fiberglass bumper fit
Fiberglass rockers fit
Cibie Iode 45 fogs/custom brackets bolted on.
2270 motor built
Trans rebuilt
Engman long kit partially installed

To be done
Finish Engman kit install
Fix fit on rear fiberglass bumper
Get body work ready for paint
Get car to paint and body
Install 5 lug conversion and Fuchs
A whole bunch of assembly
Drive it.

The project (try to look past the ride height)
Click to view attachment

The project with the driver
Click to view attachment
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

November Update: Michigan Build

Michigan Build 2017 Link

2017 Build progress :

Well on the floor got all the tar off, and found more decay. Imagine that! The pedals were functioning fine, but was sure there could be a concern under there. After removing the under panel to access the pedal mount nuts, and the linkages, and two interior floor mount nuts. Surprise, rust and junk. Ill rebuild the pedal cluster later, but finished the floor, and patched or repaired the damaged spots. Also rust inhibitor on the surface spots. Primer done, and the proper sealer, and Im ready for some sound deadining material next.

Unexpected challenges:

Still removing Plasti-Dip from primed parts of the body work, little bit at a time.

Vendors:

Local hardware, and off my shelf.

Progress Pictures:

Heres a few shots. See the Build link for more, and the whole story. Thanks for the look.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
November update:
Welding the pass rear quarter on. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Also started to clean up the suspension....

Found a few issues:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

No professional help (God knows I need it)
No vendors yet, but getting close!
914forme
November Update:
Build thread: All the details and extras are here, part Duex starts on Post 263

ACCOMPLISHMENTS: - See build thread for the bonus details and photos!
1. Started working on the front spoiler

2. started working on front radiator mounts, fuel tank, and A/C installation.

3. Started fitting the front Tangerine Camber plates and mounts.

CHALLENGES
Trying not to rework everything several times. Seems like I am cursed by the goods. Instead of a boulder, I redo 914 fabrication. Truck keeps breaking down, have not made ti to the gas supplier to pick my welding gas cylinders. headbang.gif

VENDORS
Nothing Purchased

Some pictures

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
November Update
Build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=296900

1. Closed all factory hole in the longs, filled e-brake cut out in prep for:
Custom long stiffeners installed!
2. Lower fire wall support pads fabbed and installed.
3. Carbon fiber long cover blanks fabbed
4. drive line test fit in prep to relocate it 1+ inch forward

CHALLENGES
Time. Or lack thereof... I lost a week to recovery from skin cancer surgery. Then there was Thanksgiving. Not that I'm complaining about time with family! Just that I didn't get as much done as planned.
There were no real build challenges, just a lot of tedious fitting and plug welding.
In general, as with most projects, each step seems to take 30% - 50% more time than I expect. And it doesn't help that I've changed my mind about a few things. This means I spend time designing and fabbing only to toss it. Again, no complaints. It's actually a part of the process that I enjoy - it's just not efficient.
It really drives home the "Don't quit your day job." comment!

VENDORS
Renegade Hybrids - LS kit and Boxster 6 speed kit
- Impressive product quality and GREAT customer support
Van Bebber (my local metal supplier)

CAMshaft
CAMshaft Build November Update

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=297659

Click to view attachment

Accomplishments:

Remove front bumper and headlights
Remove glass, trim, seals and most of the instruments
Begin to uncover the issues in the floor
Disassemble motor
Gauge refurbish

Next steps:

Continue floor work
Remove remaining parts. Tank, rest of IP, rear bumper and lenses

Challenges:

Rust
Fiberglass
One broken bolt (e-brake) and two stripped trim screws
Lost sleep and emotional distress

Vendors:

Ace hardware

Click to view attachment

I got the case split to take inventory of what I have and create a list of what I need to get it built back up. One thing I found when I removed the brand new bearing that had been installed was that the hole for the dowel was elongated and will need to be addressed. I measured the bore on the case to make sure that it hadn't been bored but it appears to be factory spec.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

As mentioned before, the floor and rails had glass mat along the perimeter which pretty much only meant that it was covering something nasty. The question was how bad was it.... well, I know the answer to that now.

Before and after breaking away the glass. I'm fortunate that whomever did this did not prep the surface well so it came off in big chunks. It's luck that this didn't end with someones ass sliding along the road. One very poor weld was found in this repair which was a piece of angle iron tacked in one spot to bridge the gap between the inner firewall and floor. From what I can tell the rear pans are repro's (no tar, no access hole) The front are still original. Everything was buttoned together with a combination of... wait for it... rivets, tin, metal tape, duct tape and fiberglass. A petty good picture of this car's past life is coming into focus.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This picture of all the things that don't belong in the car is a perfect metaphor for what my brain feels like when I think of the huge hill that I am at the bottom of.

Click to view attachment

It's probably out of order but with a huge list of things to to I grabbed some low hanging fruit and got going on odd jobs that will need to be done at some point anyway. Cleaning up these parts is low risk, high reward and gives your spirits a bit of a boost after being neck deep in rust and fiberglass.

Click to view attachment

As she sits now.

Click to view attachment
Curbandgutter
November 2016 Update:

Link to my build http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=206845

Accomplishments:

Completed tying in the rear tube frame to the suspension jig. Cut out about 160 lbs of steel, Started to complete the front end

Hurdles:

The front strut assembly stuck out above the front hood by about 3 inches. Had to do some research to be able to lower the front struts and not negatively affect the suspension geometer.

Goal for December:

Complete the front end tube frame and install suspension.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Nov 30 2016, 02:13 PM) *

November 2016 Update:

Link to my build http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=206845

Accomplishments:

Completed tying in the rear tube frame to the suspension jig. Cut out about 160 lbs of steel, Started to complete the front end

Hurdles:

The front strut assembly stuck out above the front hood by about 3 inches. Had to do some research to be able to lower the front struts and not negatively affect the suspension geometer.

Goal for December:

Complete the front end tube frame and install suspension.

Rudy - I just LOVE your build... pray.gif Keep up the great progress!
Darren C
QUOTE(Darren C @ Nov 1 2016, 04:59 PM) *

Steve, just a quick bump....it's November now and I still haven't had my 2016 Challengers Tee shirt, despite asking numerous times now????

Any news on my 2016 Challengers Tee shirt Steve?
It's December now and I wondered if Santa would deliver.
Curbandgutter
Rudy - I just LOVE your build... pray.gif Keep up the great progress!
[/quote]

Thanks Tygaboy! I'm enjoying yours as well. I'm stealing your carbon fiber cover for the longs. I'm going to leave my longs open since they are no longer being used to resist bending. Now they are being used to carry the shear forces from the floor diaphragm only.
jd74914
November Update
Build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=227430

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
1. Procured transmission from '12 WRX. Also pulled a bad center diff from an older WRX transmission for cutting/welding into a 2WD lockout so I can sell my good center diff.

2. Picked up some more parts:
- New-to-me JRZ rear shocks courtesy of 914forme (Stephen). Pretty excited about these!
- Nice expansion tank for cooling system (eBay ex-NASCAR deal)

CHALLENGES
Time! Same problem as last month; October/November are tough time months since most of the conference deadlines for me are in December. sad.gif

VENDORS
Maddog Motorsports - Front way bar reinforcement (thanks for the Black Friday deal!)
Dion
DECEMBER UPDATE
More of the same. Cutting & grinding.
Removed lower inner left firewall.
Removed all of driver side sill.

GOAL: Start sandblasting as soon as new compressor arrives.

VENDORS: Restoration Design, 914Rubber.com (for new heater lever cable and E brake boots
Dion
Progress
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.