Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to me 75
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellow75
Ok well its finally here. After checking things over today I have no rear turn signals, side marker, or brake lights. I have tail lights. I also have no back up lights. The front side marker and parking lights work and I have turn signals. One headlight is very weak. Any ideas?
__________________Click to view attachment
sb914
Check your fuse panel first and welcome.png
yellow75
did that first..all good. Thanks, glad to be here.
JOEPROPER
Car looks good from here. welcome.png And good luck with it!
tomh
sounds like you only have the fun stuff to do.
yellow75
Thanks everyone. Yeah the car is stupid clean. 63K on the clock for real. All its docs. Window sticker, delivery deal, owners card and manuals. I have maintenance records from new until 2011 when it was put into storage. I'm the third owner. It was heavily rust proof when delivered and there is no rust in all the usual places. Actually no rust at all. Paint is original as well. The interior is weird though. I have never seen this fabric on the interior. Its factory or a damn good job. But it looks to be factory.

So I pulled all the lights out cleaned all the sockets and replaced all the bulbs. I now have lights...well all but brake lights. I suspected the brake light switch so I pulled the foot board and sure enough the switch was broken in half! I jumped the switch wires and ....brake lights. So I ordered a switch and that problem will be solved. Next on the list is windshield washers as to pass PA inspection they have to work.......Onward!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Grounds. I had a weak-looking headlight that would take an extra second or so to light up. The ground wire for that side had gone bad.

--DD
yellow75
yup. corrosion as well.
914Sixer
Did you visually check the fuses or did you use a VOM meter?
Rand
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 17 2016, 05:19 PM) *

Did you visually check the fuses or did you use a VOM meter?

Good point.
Duh. Use a meter. /snark. But seriously, sure you can visually see a major blown out fuse, but your eyes can't measure ohms. Modern meters have continuity testers with a tone. If you want a quick check, that's it.
Frankvw
Hi, welcome. nice ride. And an interesting interior !!
What color carpet is in there with that combi in the seats/doorpanels ?
yellow75
Thanks. The carpeting is tan.
Frankvw
yellow75, i would love to see a picture of the interior in this combo with the tan carpet.

Your lights issue: I think your problem is a bad ground. Switch the lightbulb from the bright headlight to the weak headlight. If it stays weak, my money is on a bad ground.
yellow75
All my lights are working now. Waiting for a new brake light switch..socket corrosion..Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 17 2016, 05:25 PM) *
...you can visually see a major blown out fuse...

Actually, it's easy to overlook a blown ceramic fuse. The metal thins out anyway, and it can be easy to miss that it thins out to nothing in the middle. It's easiest if you pull the fuse out, because a popped one will have the metal bits fall off in two pieces. (An intact one will often have the metal bits fall of as a single piece. wink.gif )

--DD
Frankvw
Thanks for the interior pictures. Good luck with the car! Good you solved the lights issues.
euro911
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Oct 18 2016, 04:54 AM) *

Hi, welcome. nice ride. And an interesting interior !!
What color carpet is in there with that combi in the seats/doorpanels ?
Yeah trippy interior ... never seen anything like it

I was born in Pittsburgh - still have relatives out near 'Zelie'

welcome.png
yellow75
I'm close to Zelie. I'm in Neshannok, near New Castle.
euro911
thumb3d.gif

Two of my cousins back there are big time car nuts (not 914s though). They never miss the Hershey swap meets. I'd like to come back and visit at that time one of these years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.