Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FAT Performance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
FAT performance is closing its doors May 1st 2017. Ron is 70 and Greg 65. Guess they earned there retirement but a sad day for us Teeners. They are accepting engines for 3 more months. A possible new owner is in the works but I have no info on that.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 17 2016, 06:06 PM) *

FAT performance is closing its doors May 1st 2017. Ron is 70 and Greg 65. Guess they earned there retirement but a sad day for us Teeners. They are accepting engines for 3 more months. A possible new owner is in the works but I have no info on that.

Wow, those guys have been a fixture in the VW performance and off-road industry since the 70's.
Well deserved retirement. beerchug.gif
N_Jay
WOW, takes me back to my OC days!

I think they did the machine work on my 2.4 (If I recall)
jim_hoyland
Greg will be missed. He is a wealth of knowledge and easy to talk with.really liked his approach to customer service plus I know the work done was right
old914dog
Despite my having yet to purchase from them, they always had a few minutes to advise.
The new owners have big shoes to fill.
forrestkhaag
I agree with all of the above. These guys were always available for a quick bit of sage information and, from my experience, they were never off the mark on advice given.

Congrats on the retirement. Do it differently than most of us. When the new economy sent my 20+ Cal Poly Grad employees into their parents basements, I unwound the S corp. and ended up more busy than any year previous to the new economy evolving in 2008..... Damit. sheeplove.gif
rhodyguy
When fat was featured in hotvws&db, it was always a good issue.
wes
Wow really hate to see them go but I'm sure they are more than well deserved.
My engine was balanced and blueprinted by them.
stownsen914
I had heads done by them for my first engine (for my first 914)! Bought a cam from them too, I believe. Bummer ...
Jake Raby
They contacted me about this a couple of years ago, and I went to go see them.. I started sending more people their way, as the shop only had one engine in works when I was there, and one on the dyno. Much different than the days when I stopped by there 23 years ago on my lunch breaks from MCAS Tustin just down the I-5 a few miles. Back then they had 15 guys all over that shop, and stuff going on like crazy.

The bad economy a few years back hit them hard, as many contractors and etc that had plenty of money to spend on their off road toys and race cars were the first to lose it all. Those guys were their biggest customer base.

These guys have always been good, honest competitors. They are the only real competitors that I've really had. They have been a class act for many decades.

Sad to see, but nothing ever stays the same.... I hope their new prospect builds engines, and does business like they have. Big shoes to fill, especially in today's market thats filled with junk (new) parts, and (mostly) worn out core engines.
zig-n-zag
I had the opportunity to work on Greg's 356 he built for his wife, maybe 5 years ago.
The car had a 2270cc for the new owner, not the 2.8L.

I asked how business was, and he said he's on banker's hours, only works 3 days out of the week.

The old FAT will be missed.
euro911
dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.