Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Mileage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pbanders
Yes, it's been done before, but how about an update? I'll go first:

1970 914 w/'74-spec 2.0L D-Jetronic, stock w/Euro pistons, Crane XR-3000 ignition and Crane coil. City: 24 mpg / Highway: 39 mpg (flat road, 75 mph, 80 mile trip)

What are you getting? The 914's a lot better than my '03 Boxster.
Coondog
Drove from Phoenix to Apple Valley, Ca. Used 3/4 tank, never really been that gas mileage guy unless I am driving my motorhome then I try to squeeze 9-10 miles per gallon.
pbanders
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 17 2016, 08:31 PM) *

Drove from Phoenix to Apple Valley, Ca. Used 3/4 tank, never really been that gas mileage guy unless I am driving my motorhome then I try to squeeze 9-10 miles per gallon.

According to Google, 353.2 miles. 16.4 gal tank with 2 gal reserve -> 14.4 * 0.75 = 10.8 gal, which works out to 32.7 mpg, pretty good!
cali914
18 city 25 highway v6 honda engine
SirAndy
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 17 2016, 07:47 PM) *
Gas Mileage, What are you getting, city/highway?

1970 914 with a '95 993 3.6L engine

Highway: ~25 mpg
City: ~20 mph
Track: ~5 mpg

driving.gif
914_teener
Spec 1.7 205-60 tires D- jet

City 28

Highway 39

I've been trying to kill this engine for years and it just keeps going and going.

Porschef
Good question. I'd like to figure out what's keeping mine down, other than my right foot. Top off, maybe 24 at best on the hwy, less locally.

2056, 9550 cam, Ljet, 9:1 comp, 13:1 AFR... confused24.gif

BeatNavy
QUOTE(Porschef @ Oct 18 2016, 06:07 AM) *

Good question. I'd like to figure out what's keeping mine down, other than my right foot. Top off, maybe 24 at best on the hwy, less locally.

2056, 9550 cam, Ljet, 9:1 comp, 13:1 AFR... confused24.gif

I'm kind of in the same boat. To and from work (90% of my driving) I'm lucky to get 20 mpg. That's "parkway" driving where it's 60 mph for a mile or two and then stop for the light. Rinse and repeat. I probably got more like 25 mpg up and back to Hershey, the longest continuous trip I've taken it on.

2056 with stock cam and I might be slightly rich at warm up (using the CHT spacer) but AFR readings are slightly lean, if anything, after that. The only working theories I have now on what may be keeping my mileage down, other than possibly the CHT spacer and the nature of my driving, is my battery has been flaky the last couple of months due to a parasitic drain on it. I'm certain a weak battery doesn't help mileage or performance, but otherwise I'm not sure if I should be doing significantly better or if "it is what it is." I read about you all getting 30+ mpg.... confused24.gif
Bleyseng
22 city and 27-30 highway
2056 w/9550 cam 9to1CR
DRPHIL914
Stock 75 2.0 d-jet with back dated SS HE and triad exhaust,
usually 25-6 around town straight city, 29-30 combined, and last trip was octeenerfest and we averaged about 33-35 MPG for the trip(some mountain road driving. and I was running a bit rich so I feel like I could get a bit better for straight freeway driving closer to the speed limit, no mountains, im going to to another test here soon before pulling it off the road to paint, I'm going to drive to work for a while, which is a 25 mile commute, mostly 65mph highway with a few miles of city driving, - I will post my results on the next tank.

Dr. Phil
Porschef
Rob, I also feel that my dizzy/voltage could be a factor; I've never dismantled the distributor and its history is unknown to me. The Ljet system was complete and in pretty good shape when I got it, injectors aside. They needed rebuilding. So maybe the round thing under the cap and rotor needs going through.

Geoff, mines the same. Although every time I read your signature I see L jet... blink.gif
JustinMeier
2.7 going to RRC I was getting about 24 highway.. 75-80, around 3-4k rpm.
sb914
About 8 miles per gallon, and I don't give a Fuch! beer3.gif
Chris914n6
24/29 with the 3.0 Nissan
bandjoey
2.0 stock other than carbs

190 mile highway trip

30.3 mpg
mankowski
Stock 1.7, Djet. Average: 23 MPG. Range: 15-30 MPG, with lots of variation. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. I even correlated the number of days between refills and MPG for the tank across several thousand miles. My thinking was that gas was evaporating through the broken vacuum lines running from the fan to the charcoal canister, or some other unknown leak. Correlation was -.35 (more days between tanks = lower gas mileage). It's time to get those lines repaired and check again.

Any other ideas?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.