Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electronic Ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tnorthern
I know a lot of guys are running electronic ignition in their cars but what are they running 'em with...

Right now I have a stock 2.0 rebuilt about 2k miles and 6years ago. I want to switch to electronic ignition with the ability to upgrade as I put more money into the motor.

Ultimately I would like to maintain Sunday drive reliabity while boosting horse power in the long run, most likely with a bigger type 4 engine. Resale value is not a huge issue for me since I have no real plans to sell the car in the future...

THIS time I am asking for advice so let the opinions fly biggrin.gif
Mueller
stock 2.0??

your options are:

replace points with pertronix or crane electronic trigger...no HP gain, just no need to set point gap and dwell, some people report smoother running engines...do a search on these, some people love thier pertronix, others think they are junk

a new or hotter coil*

new wires, stock or megabux types are available

then you can add a CDI box (mallory or MSD or whoever you want), this supposed* to help at idle and low rpms

any of these items are reversable so it will not affect the car being stock or not later on down the road......

*I have no real world experiance with these boxes

if you go with a bigger motor, then more than likely you'll not be able to run the stock FI, then you can do crankfire or install a MSD or Mallory distributor

Trekkor
Ran Pertronix with the stock 2.0 FOUR.
Easy install, smoother starting and smoother top end.
No complaints. No maintenance.

On the SIX, MSD 6AL. This DRAMATICALLY improves starting and idle, as well as the whole power band while adding a programable rev limiter. A must for a carbed engine, I believe.
Adding Pertronix tomorrow to improve it further.

Coil mods to follow confused24.gif

KT
Mueller
Coil mods to follow  

Trek...I don't know if the Pertronics recommends a specific Ohm coil or not, but I'd double check the instructions just in case. On the Mallory Unilites (breaker point replacement module similar to the Pertronics), they want a specific ohm range, they say it'll help protect the module.

MSD sells specific coils for thier "systems", $28 at Summit Racing (MSD-8202), they also have a "high vibration" coil as well smile.gif

I like to keep the same brand components together as much as possible....

Aaron Cox
mallory unilote 1.4 to 3 ohm coil

pertronix has a how to pick a coil guide on thier website. tells you what ohmage you need......
Trekkor
Thanks guys, wink.gif
I'll start with my Blue coil for now. ( bringing a spare )

I'll research before I buy.

KT
ConeDodger
Hey T! Glad to see you asking the questions and getting the answers.

I believe that no real horsepower or torque can be gained with ignition changes. But you can benefit from a more complete burn. Where this might help is on idle and starting as have already been mentioned but also if you were to change your cam or somehow increase your supply of fuel and air.

I still think the biggest bang for your buck is at the tail end of that car. BACKDATE YOUR EXHAUST. Sorry, did I say that really loud?

Next, if your not afraid to pull the motor go with Euro pistons.

These two things alone are about 5 HP each. You can actually feel 5 HP. No louder noise, its real....

Sorry I didn't see you at the RR Autocross this last weekend. You might have gotten to see my wife and sister-in-law flash me... I missed it. Probably good since I was driving the course!!!

Rob
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 19 2005, 09:08 PM)

Will not work with D-jetronic fuel injection, unless you want to try Mueller's approach and "work some electronic wizardry"...

--DD
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Apr 20 2005, 12:25 PM)

Will not work with D-jetronic fuel injection, unless you want to try Mueller's approach and "work some electronic wizardry"...

--DD

not the point of my argument...

i was alluding to the fact that different systems require different coils.

Thx
Mueller
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Apr 20 2005, 12:25 PM)

--DD

Dave,

Mallory sells the "Unilite" trigger module seperately if one wanted to use that instead of the pertronics in a stock dizzy to further complicate things smile.gif

Since my car is getting the Link fuel/ignition computer I'm going to need a test subject with a 1.7 or 2.0 for the newest revision of trigger points...and suckers, I mean subjects laugh.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (trekkor @ Apr 20 2005, 12:21 AM)
I'll research before I buy.

MSD sells specific coils for thier "systems", $28 at Summit Racing (MSD-8202), they also have a "high vibration" coil as well

the thing about the "high-vibration" model is that it is the ONLY coil-shaped pulse transformer they make that is approved for mounting in aby other position than VERTICAL, SECONDARY TERMINAL UP.

if you have your coil mounted in the standard SIX location, you'll want one for this reason. i bought one to go with my last MSD-6AL and while the spark box is landfill (and good riddance) i do keep the coil as a spare, although i don't think the Crane LX-92 pulse transformer is likely to fail any time soon.

if you like the stock look, the Hi-Vibe is the way to go. i don't care about the look, hence the LX-92. MSD also has some blocky looking pulse transformers, but i donno anything about them.

oh - and to answer the question in the thread title -

Crane XR700 optical points replacement, HI-6 spark box with programmable retard module, Crane LX-92 pulse transformer on a stock 2,2 911E engine. but i'll use all the same stuff when the 2,8 goes in ... heh, heh, heh ...
HarveyH
2056, cam (don't know which, PO's choice from a custon grind shop), 40 IDF's, stock 74 2L distributor, Pretronix, Crane HI-6, Crane PS-91 coil, and NGK platinum plugs @ 0.045".

Harvey
Mueller
QUOTE (HarveyH @ Apr 21 2005, 04:55 AM)
2056, cam (don't know which, PO's choice from a custon grind shop), 40 IDF's, stock 74 2L distributor, Pretronix, Crane HI-6, Crane PS-91 coil, and NGK platinum plugs @ 0.045".

Harvey

stock 74 2L distributor

a 1.8 dizzy or a new MSD or Mallory would be better suited to the carbed motor....better advance........
fiid
I have a solution to the D-jet with mallory dizzy problem in the works.

I am running (running - HAH!) Ford EDIS with megasquirt on my subaru engine. it's 100% tuneable and hackable, but you need l33t 5k1llz to get it running. Fitting the EDIS trigger wheel to a TIV engine is tricky as well.
SGB
I had Pertronix in a .050 for years & years. One less variable (points) to wonder about...
Last year got the Mallory Unilite. Man, what a difference. Tunability with advance springs helped top end performance, and new dizzy itself showed me how erratic the old Bosch had become. SS heat exchangers also helped noticably....
nebreitling
tnorthern: go for a crane xr700 or a pertonix. i prefer the crane, but either will do the trick. the engine will probably run smoother, stay in tune longer, and require less maintenance.
HarveyH
Mike Mueller said:
a 1.8 dizzy or a new MSD or Mallory would be better suited to the carbed motor....better advance........

I know, but the PO put in a 009, and he gave me the stock distributor when I bought the car. I figured the stock unit was a lot better than the 009, and a lot cheaper than a used 1.8 or a Mallory (CSOBOEPA). My carbs have vacuum ports and I've hooked that up too. Noticeable improvement going from the 009 to the stock unit, and improvement again when I connect the vac line.
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
Harvey
tnorthern
Thanks for all the input guys, I think I am going to go with the Crane xr700 since I have a pertronix on my boat. Why not try something different? If I decide to swap to Carbs later in my quest for more power I would need to go to a Unitlite or similar correct?
tnorthern
Sorry I didn't see you at the RR Autocross this last weekend.

Yeah I am sorry I missed you, I went on Saturday, but got there late. My brake squeal that I had been posting about on the PP boards reared again and there was no way I was going to try to AX

I met a couple of the guys from the board (trekkor and mcmark) and they were super cool as expected. My dad and I were laughing our ass off at nebreitling ripping the time ladies because they clearly were a little slow on figuring out the times... Once I get my car running right I will for sure be out there!

Oh yeah, I plan on doing the exhaust but I have way too many hobbies and the 914 can only get a portion of my hobby fund... Maybe I won't buy a new wakeboard this year... that saves $400
Mueller
If I decide to swap to Carbs later in my quest for more power I would need to go to a Unitlite or similar correct?

You don't "have" to get a new distributor, but if you want to maximize the potential of the engine, then yes, it would be a good idea.

If Fiids circuit works as planned, you can get an MSD or Mallory distributor right away.
My design worked, but it's not as robust and easy to install as it should be.....
tnorthern
If Fiids circuit works as planned,
blink.gif Umm... OK sounds great. I have no idea what that is do I need do a search on here to find more info? Sorry I am looking like a total newb right now.
Mueller
for the D-jet cars, there is a pair of mechanical contact points near the bottom of the distributor, what these dois they complete a circuit (pull to ground) to tell the ECU to fire the injectors...very basic and simple and reliable for the most part. Near the base of the distributor, you'll see a connector with 3 pins, the center pin is ground, the other two are the trigger routes, one or the other will always be grounded when the car is running

The problem is that due to this triggering method, for most people, you had no other options but to run the factory distributor if you kept the factory fuel injection (D-Jet only)

there is nothing "wrong" with the factory stuff, this new circuit just opens up more options for people to change out there ignition to newer aftermarket items.

tnorthern
Ok I understand it now that you said it in english. I knew that the dist had contact points for the FI and I knew that was something most owners overlook. So am I to gather from this that you either have or are developing an after market solution to this for us teeners? I am intrigued now. Would that be a bolt on solution for use with a new dist?
Mueller
QUOTE (tnorthern @ Apr 21 2005, 12:02 PM)
Ok I understand it now that you said it in english. I knew that the dist had contact points for the FI and I knew that was something most owners overlook. So am I to gather from this that you either have or are developing an after market solution to this for us teeners? I am intrigued now. Would that be a bolt on solution for use with a new dist?

here is a picture of my 1st prototype.....it works, but for the average person, it would be a PITA to implement

the design Fiid is working on will be trigger off of the coil and not have the goofy optics as mince does (as the L-Jet is)..his will consist of a flip-flop circuit(s) to trigger the ECU

user posted image

mickey mouse engineering works smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.