Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help the newb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Redraptor
Guys I'm at the point of crowbar use. Im in the process of assessing my new 914 for restoration and am hung up with the front hood. The cabin handle will not work and I have already removed the bumper to try the emergency open too, unfortunately the emergency open will not work and is just floating around in the compartment.

I have access to the top of the mechanism by pulling the dry rot rubber out and "fortunately" there is an opening caused by rust just under the channel with a little bit lower access.

Options?
Redraptor
QUOTE(Redraptor @ Oct 18 2016, 02:01 PM) *

Guys I'm at the point of crowbar use. Im in the process of assessing my new 914 for restoration and am hung up with the front hood. The cabin handle will not work and I have already removed the bumper to try the emergency open too, unfortunately the emergency open will not work and is just floating around in the compartment.

I have access to the top of the mechanism by pulling the dry rot rubber out and "fortunately" there is an opening caused by rust just under the channel with a little bit lower access.

Options?

Nevermind my wife cranked it far enough over to pop it. The mechanism has been abused before though. Oh well that's why Im married.
Rand
Keep her. More difficult trials will come, and you need her. biggrin.gif Sounds like you found a good one.
Mikey914
Welcome to owning a 914. There are always trial, and you can learn patience, eventually with enough time and energy you will get it figured out (or at least find someone who can).

Good group of guys here willing to help out. Also a picture is worth a 1000 words, so if you have an issue a picture will get guys to chime in.

Also, if you can involve the wife in a positive manner it will go along way to her enabling your addiction. biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Yes. Post some pics of the rust. Lots of guys here that can make your job way easier with pics.
Localboy808
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 18 2016, 06:11 PM) *

Yes. Post some pics of the rust. Lots of guys here that can make your job way easier with pics.

Nah! Sounds like his wife has got this! Keeper for sure! wink.gif
tomh
Thats why I'm not married
I do it myself
Lol
pbanders
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 18 2016, 02:39 PM) *

Keep her. More difficult trials will come, and you need her. biggrin.gif Sounds like you found a good one.

She's not really a keeper until she's demonstrated exceptional skill at pushing your 914 to jump start it. I had at least 3 girlfriends give it their best shot before I found the woman who could do this to my standards.
Redraptor
Thanks guys. The wife gets even more wild eyed than I do when talking about getting the car running. She was shopping for welders over the weekend while I was running around with the kids. She is no fan of manual transmissions, but loves a project. Im going to get some pics posted up Wednesday Im just tying to set it up now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 18 2016, 06:39 PM) *
She's not really a keeper until she's demonstrated exceptional skill at pushing your 914

agree.gif

biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 18 2016, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 18 2016, 06:39 PM) *
She's not really a keeper until she's demonstrated exceptional skill at pushing your 914

agree.gif

biggrin.gif

It looks more like Amoy is just leaning on the car and urging (insisting) that you call a tow truck. Am I wrong? av-943.gif
euro911
... and pushing uphill too? ... definitely a KEEPER!

Does she have a sister, Andy? laugh.gif

welcome.png 'Red'
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 18 2016, 10:13 PM) *
Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong ... shades.gif

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 19 2016, 01:46 AM) *
Does she have a sister, Andy?

Yes, she does ... biggrin.gif
Redraptor
Another day, another round of help the newb...

What is this? It was balled up in the corner of the front trunk. The other end is in the cabin. It has been a shocking day. I just found out the mystery wire on the other side was used to operate the windshield washers with air pressure from the spare! I'm not very experienced in vintage cars so don't rag too much please, but it seems like a pretty creative idea to make use of something that is normally just cargo.

Click to view attachment
Redraptor
The other end of the mystery wire...Click to view attachment
euro911
That's a trunk lip antenna mount. Remember the CB radio craze of the 70's and 80's?

IPB Image
Redraptor
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 19 2016, 02:45 PM) *

That's a trunk lip antenna mount. Remember the CB radio craze of the 70's and 80's?

Holy cow! Thanks. Breaker for the Bandit! I recognized it in the dark recesses of my mind but the light wouldnt come on. Im way too giddy over this.
euro911
The original PO of our '71 installed a CB antenna mount in the metal support under the driver's side engine grille. It's hardly noticeable, and simply replacing the small grille will return it to stock.

IPB Image

I'm a HAM radio operator, and I installed a capacitance-coupled antenna on the front windshield on my '75 ... no holes and totally reversible

IPB Image

IPB Image

Ah, the 70's ...

IPB Image

mbseto
"Breaker 1-9, forgot my shirt, can you toss one in the car?"
Redraptor
Round 3. I might have to change the name of the thread to "What the heck is this now?"

Found a red braided hose connecting nothing to nothing wound around the engine compartment. IClick to view attachment
euro911
Do your heads have vent ports? The driver side would be forward of the intake manifold, passenger side is aft of the manifold.
injunmort
what was the question again, so many insightful girl answers, i forgo
t what the original question was. you definitely need new hubs and muffler fluid. it looks to me that its been a while.
Redraptor
QUOTE(injunmort @ Oct 20 2016, 06:45 PM) *

what was the question again, so many insightful girl answers, i forgo
t what the original question was. you definitely need new hubs and muffler fluid. it looks to me that its been a while.

I'm taking the car one small step at a time. Today I found a red braided hose intertwined among the other hoses. It isn't connected to anything and the PO may very well have just left it lying in there when they used part of it to connect things. Just weird. It's not a big deal, I'm working back from the front and will hopefully be dropping the engine by December at the latest to give it a thorough cleaning if nothing else. She will be upgraded to five lug wheels before everything is done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.