Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking for DIY mentor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frankieshooz
Ok...I don't know if this is a cool thing to ask (don't want to step on any shop owners toes) Rather than just taking my car to a shop, I'm looking for a competent, knowledgable, mechanic/technician/engineer who would be willing to help me work on my car in my garage for various projects. Perhaps someone who is a currently employed Porsche technician who may be willing to moonlight on the side for an agreed upon hourly rate...help me actually finish a project for once! (I'm really good at taking things apart!!! not too good at putting them back together). I want it to be fun, casual and educational...I would feel better having someone who really knows their shit about these cars and offer their guidance as I am a complete newbie concerning the 914...
I'm in North Bay area...LMK if you are interested in this or know of anyone.
injunmort
your on the wrong coast or i would volunteer
euro911
I'm in So Cal, but there are a lot of members up in your neck of the woods. I'm sure they'll be chiming in shortly ...
frankieshooz
ok... thanks for not flaming me.... ok nor cal guys.... lmk...
tygaboy
I'm in Petaluma but have a day job and other stuff that keeps me too busy to come work with you...

But, I'd be happy to help in any way I can. If you don't find exactly what you're looking for:

I just took delivery of a '74 1.8 that needs some service work (brakes, clutch, etc.). If a "watch/help/learn" (no charge! biggrin.gif ) on my car would work as a way to get you up to speed to do things on your own, let me know.

At the very least, meeting other local teeners is always a good thing!

Chris
7TPorsh
I was a newbie to the 914 when I bought it in 2006. Friends thought I was nuts. 914world was and is my mentor. If I need advice, I come here. If I need parts, I come here.
It's nice to have some help but I have found that working on my own at my own pace has been rewarding. Once you start working on it and attending some local events you will meet people with similar interest.
Amphicar770
Everyone starts somewhere so there is no shame in asking for help.

It may be hard to find someone who spends 8-10 hours a day turning wrenches who will want to do the same thing after work. At the same time, there are tons of knowledgeable individuals here, and in your local club, who are more than willing to lend their expertise and assistance. Don't worry if you do not know exactly what you are doing, get in there and you will be amazed at how helpful everyone in this community really is.

ottox914
Shame you're not closer to MN...
frankieshooz
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 19 2016, 10:46 AM) *

I'm in Petaluma but have a day job and other stuff that keeps me too busy to come work with you...

But, I'd be happy to help in any way I can. If you don't find exactly what you're looking for:

I just took delivery of a '74 1.8 that needs some service work (brakes, clutch, etc.). If a "watch/help/learn" (no charge! biggrin.gif ) on my car would work as a way to get you up to speed to do things on your own, let me know.

Chris

Chris,,

LOL, I literally just sent you a reply whilst browsing threads and seeing your new purchase! Congrats BTW. Anyway, that's me that left a reply. I'd love to hang out sometime..I'll drive up LMK when you have some time! Cheers
Jeffs9146
I would make a list of things you need to get done. Post it here and pick one at a time to work on. Ask questions about that item and see what comes up. If you don't feel comfortable doing the work, there are a lot of people who will come and help for brew and food. Make a gathering around a few items and you will be surprised how fast it will come together.

I put on 2 work parties and a transmission clinic to finish my car. For me it was more about motivation than knowledge but people showed up to help! beerchug.gif jsharp.gif
Mikey914
Work party with beer and pizza.
Just make sure the beer is after the work biggrin.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(frankieshooz @ Oct 19 2016, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 19 2016, 10:46 AM) *

Chris

Chris,,

LOL, I literally just sent you a reply whilst browsing threads and seeing your new purchase! Congrats BTW. Anyway, that's me that left a reply. I'd love to hang out sometime..I'll drive up LMK when you have some time! Cheers

PM sent!
N_Jay
I'm not near expert enough to "mentor", but would love to find a wrench buddy to swap worker/helper time.

Anyone in the Chicago NW burbs?
euro911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 19 2016, 12:04 PM) *
Work party with beer and pizza.
Just make sure the beer is after the work biggrin.gif
Pizza after the work is done too ... you have no idea how hard it was to wipe all those greasy fingerprints off of my car poke.gif
76-914
IMHO, your going at it bass ackwards. Find some folks in your area that are doing restorations/rebuilds and/or conversions and go to their place. Offer to help them with their project as an indentured apprentice. beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Agree with 76914. I wanted to learn to cook bbq. Didn't ask for someone to come give me private lessons. I joined a bbq team and spent three years on the competition circuit. Now I cook great q.
fixer34
QUOTE(N_Jay @ Oct 19 2016, 02:56 PM) *

I'm not near expert enough to "mentor", but would love to find a wrench buddy to swap worker/helper time.

Anyone in the Chicago NW burbs?

Right in your neck of the woods. Wouldn't mind helping where I could.
Been a few years since I worked on a 4 (I'm assuming..), but still remember them well.
Pete
jeffdon
If I can make it, more than happy to lend a hand. Just let me know when.
frankieshooz
All good advice and thanks for those who are volunteering to help...with regards to my apprentice ship...if anyone near me planning on adjusting valves, changing points and/or timing, changing out struts or shocks let me know if I can sit in and help!
as those are some of the first tasks I want to tackle with my car..

rjames
Also don't be afraid to try things yourself. Make sure you have the Haynes manual. Using that and the info on this site, you can pretty much learn to do everything from changing a tire to rebuilding the engine.
frankieshooz
yea sounds good in theory but I always seem to F things up!
EdwardBlume
I think the world site is a great resource.

I used to help out with builds 10+ years ago, but the real learning is 1:1 with someone you trust, or has beer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.