Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I have side shift or tail shift?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vin man
I've got 2 transaxles. Wondering if they are side shift, tail shift or one of each.

Trans #1:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Trans #2:
IPB Image
IPB Image
Ferg
Trans 1 Side, Trans 2 tail. Some mods to the shifter bar on trans one as well
rgalla9146
I must say you should get the Grand Prize for most novel removal
of 914 trans/axles/springs/trailing arms.
Now it will be much easier to move around......
Your side shift linkage has been 'updated'
ottox914
Nailed it. One of each. Looks like some mods to the side shifter to use a bronze bushing in place of the nylon/plastic OEM one
vin man
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 19 2016, 11:41 AM) *

Your side shift linkage has been 'updated'

Cobbled, rigged, fabbed...
Yeah, it's hosed up pretty good.
Ferg
Curious now, whats with the boxster looking muffler?
vin man
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 19 2016, 12:03 PM) *

Curious now, whats with the boxster looking muffler?

Car 1 has a Subaru EJ25 motor bolted to the side shift (thanks for the clarification) transaxle. I purchased the car with the intent of transplanting the powerplant over to my 72 914. I pulled the stock 1.7 and tail shift out of that car already. It has new paint and interior, and I wanted the subaru setup for it.

I will likely swap the 1.7 and tail shift back into the car I am removing subie from.

My build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=293170
JFG
Sorry for the hijack, but would someone clarify what transmission i have? I'm suspecting someone may be in for a bad day tomorrow after speaking with me.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
fixer34
QUOTE(JFG @ Oct 19 2016, 02:49 PM) *

Sorry for the hijack, but would someone clarify what transmission i have? I'm suspecting someone may be in for a bad day tomorrow after speaking with me.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Pretty sure that's a side-shift. If you were looking for a tail-shifter, I can make you a real good deal on one.
Dave_Darling
That last is indeed a side-shifter.

If the linkage goes into the transmission case in front of the intermediate plate, it's a side-shifter. If it goes into the end cover of the transmission, it's a tail-shifter.

--DD
Dr Evil
For posterity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.