Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 2.0 restoration missing something
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi All,

I have finally almost finished the body restoration of my vehicle (3 yrs) and have rebuilt the front end. The car runs, but it looks like when I bought it two tube a recirc lines are missing along with a fan/blower. So when I drive it just smokes through those openings.
Is the only solution to stop this is by buying the unit?
Can I just plug the holes?
Thoughts?

Thanks,

Gary driving.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Wew @ Oct 19 2016, 12:57 PM) *

Hi All,

I have finally almost finished the body restoration of my vehicle (3 yrs) and have rebuilt the front end. The car runs, but it looks like when I bought it two tube a recirc lines are missing along with a fan/blower. So when I drive it just smokes through those openings.
Is the only solution to stop this is by buying the unit?
Can I just plug the holes?
Thoughts?

Thanks,

Gary driving.gif

Please share a picture of that location for easier suggestions from various members. Is it the left and right side tin with round hole? I guess you are referring to the Heater J tubes which is supposed to be push by air from the auxiliary fan and push the hot air from the Heat Exchanger box going to the cabin or exit out from the heater flap. And since the car has been seating for a while which produce white smoke for now.

But again, picture will give more info to the members.

Wew
Will take pics when I get home from work this evening.

Thanks,

Gary
injunmort
what are recirc. lines? where are they located? you will have to do better to get constructive help.
Wew
Hi Gents,

Hope to improve my standing on the forum. Here are the pictures I took of the holes.

One of the holes is in the engine tin surround and the other goes to heat exchangers.

The second one looks like the old owner put a cloth over the outlet.

Will add more of my project so you can see efforts I have gone through to restore this ride.

lots to learn about these 914's other than the fact they like rust. 3/4 of the way there.

I have had this ride for 3 years and it's been all about the body. Now getting to motor.

It runs and drives.

Thanks,

GaryClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Wew
Here are some more pics of the body work and the cockpit reinforcement I am doing.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Wew
And some trunk work. This section was rusted out so I had to cut that out and weld in this new piece..

Rear weld of cock pit and also a picture of the front. All exterior body work complete.

Needs a good cleaning.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bdstone914
The two holes are for the rain funnel tube and blower tube to the heat exchanger. Smoke is probably from oil on the heat exchangers. You should block them off so it does not suck hot air from below but you jeed the find and fix the origin of the smoke
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 20 2016, 07:18 AM) *

The two holes are for the rain funnel tube and blower tube to the heat exchanger. Smoke is probably from oil on the heat exchangers. You should block them off so it does not suck hot air from below but you jeed the find and fix the origin of the smoke

I had leaky push rod tube seals that would drip down on the exhaust. The car would smoke for about 10 minutes after a drive.
Dave_Darling
The pipe pointed to in the first pic is the J-tube for the heating system. A hose from the heater blower fan attaches there, to help blow cool air into the heat exchanger so that it can be warmed up and sent into the cockpit. Note that on 73-74 cars, the driver's side is the only one hooked up and the passenger's side one would have a plastic cap on it.

The hole also pointed to in the first pic is where the drain hose for the engine lid tray goes. The hose should have a plastic funnel at the top, which bolts to the side grille supports. Holes near the edges of the engine lid tray sit over the funnels, so any water collected by the tray goes into the funnel and through the hose and out of the car.

--DD
Wew
Thanks Gents!
injunmort
also, critters love to nest in the heater tubes. pull the hoses off the flapper boxes and reach in the holes with a long vaccuum cleaner hose to clean out the tubes inside the longs. i had the same problem as my car, had no hoses for years. when i reinstalled the heating system, all the crap the critters carried side the tubes would burn smoke into the cabin.
tygaboy
Hi Gary - I see you're in Novato. We should meet up sometime - I'd love to see your car! I sent you a PM, too.
Chris
Wew
Pm back. Sounds good
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.