Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dads new car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mb911
My dad is getting his new car today.. Its a 74 2.0 pretty rust free car.. He has had about 10 Porsches over the year s and currently has an 02 boxster s with about 40k on it but needed a retirement project.. Dad is approaching 70 so this a longer term project but it should be fun.. The price was right as he got it for free although I have to provide labor on a 2.2 E rebuild.. I still think it was a good buyClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
ottox914
Looks like a nice score. My dad picked up a model "A" ford for his "retirement" father/son project. The manual steering and mechanical braked got to be a bit much for him when he hit 80, and now at 86 he rocks a miata with power steering and abs brakes. Still shifts it himself. Congrats on the project- keep the world updated on your progress.

JeffBowlsby
Lets see:

White 74....Check
2.0L..........Check
Mahles.......Check

VIN check please....
mb911
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 19 2016, 01:02 PM) *

Lets see:

White 74....Check
2.0L..........Check
Mahles.......Check

VIN check please....

Will do.. I have not seen the car in person yet but will next week..
Coondog
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 19 2016, 02:02 PM) *

Lets see:

White 74....Check
2.0L..........Check
Mahles.......Check

VIN check please....

Rainbow Sticker................Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sheeplove.gif.............Check
mb911
4742921243 is the vin
mb911
4742921243 is the vin
KeithVonLaws
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 19 2016, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 19 2016, 02:02 PM) *

Lets see:

White 74....Check
2.0L..........Check
Mahles.......Check

VIN check please....

Rainbow Sticker................Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sheeplove.gif.............Check

Lmao- Thats what I say
luskesq
Did the same when my dad was in his 89's. Great way to keep his body and mind active.

Great move!

Keith
Larmo63
EVERYBODY back then had the rainbow sticker. I did. I'm not a pitcher or a catcher, and I don't judge,
but that was before it had the gay connotation that it does in today's world.

It was actually cool in California to have that sticker. Lol.
Coondog
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 19 2016, 05:48 PM) *

EVERYBODY back then had the rainbow sticker. I did. I'm not a pitcher or a catcher, and I don't judge,
but that was before it had the gay connotation that it does in today's world.

It was actually cool in California to have that sticker. Lol.

Really I thought it meant you were from Hawaii........... huh.gif
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Thats just a good ole late-74 2.0L. Not an LE.
mb911
74 2.0 still cool though even if it's not an le..
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 19 2016, 01:29 PM) *

My dad is getting his new car today.. Its a 74 2.0 pretty rust free car.. He has had about 10 Porsches over the year s and currently has an 02 boxster s with about 40k on it but needed a retirement project.. Dad is approaching 70 so this a longer term project but it should be fun.. The price was right as he got it for free although I have to provide labor on a 2.2 E rebuild.. I still think it was a good buyClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

A Big Congrats to your Dad on his purchase.
It's good to see auto enthusiasts maintain their hobbies during their retirement.
Not to mention, with your excellent fab skills, I'm sure it will be a gem in the future.
mb911
QUOTE(396 @ Oct 20 2016, 03:25 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 19 2016, 01:29 PM) *

A Big Congrats to your Dad on his purchase.
It's good to see auto enthusiasts maintain their hobbies during their retirement.
Not to mention, with your excellent fab skills, I'm sure it will be a gem in the future.

Thanks I stopped buy there in between meetings today and it looks pretty nice.. Some rust repair to do but pretty nice start
EdwardBlume
Looks like fun! smilie_pokal.gif
Andyrew
Sticker looks familar smile.gif

My Moms car from my parents wedding

Claus Graf
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 20 2016, 11:22 AM) *

WOW! It has to be the car!

You are now entering........The Twilight Zone
dan10101
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 20 2016, 12:22 PM) *

piratenanner.gif Like those hubcaps! piratenanner.gif

I keep looking for it, but it was a 71 1.7
Pretty though... And the Car too.

I'll admit, you had my hopes up, but only for the history of what it's been through over the last 30ish years.

Good luck with your 74. That's quite an undertaking.
mb911
1st couple of challenges.. He can't get the front trunk open and the engine has had no spark plugs in it for years.. Not good

What's the secret to opening front trunk?? There is an emergency access some where and I can't remember where.
GeorgeRud
Since the front bumper is already off, you're mostly there. Access the locking mechanism in the middle of the front panel to pop the front trunk. There may be a rubber plug you have to remove - I don't remember offhand.
914fahrer
You only need a srewdriver.

Click to view attachment
mb911
Perfect.. Thanks.. Its hard to explain all this to my dad semi long distance and him not really interested in the internet...
mepstein
If he pokes around enough, he'll get it.
mb911
He got it open.. It had an extra mahle wheel in the trunk so he has 5 total.. Kind of cool.
mb911
So just a quick update.. Dad has confirmed it is a 2.0 and has wire brushed the floors top to bottom and then primed them with red oxide. He has cleaned all grounds and put plugs in it after soaking the cylinders with fogging oil .. Fuel tank is in and clean though he is missing the retaining strap and one of the rubber chunk that centers the tank. New fuel filter etc..

Bad news engine seems locked up.. Any tips for a better solution to free the rings??

He is pulling starter to see if he can spin the flywheel.. I am thinking engine has to come out..

Any thoughts as dad is pretty stubborn but any tips I can give will help.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 30 2017, 04:02 PM) *

So just a quick update.. Dad has confirmed it is a 2.0 and has wire brushed the floors top to bottom and then primed them with red oxide. He has cleaned all grounds and put plugs in it after soaking the cylinders with fogging oil .. Fuel tank is in and clean though he is missing the retaining strap and one of the rubber chunk that centers the tank. New fuel filter etc..

Bad news engine seems locked up.. Any tips for a better solution to free the rings??

He is pulling starter to see if he can spin the flywheel.. I am thinking engine has to come out..

Ben - I have the tank rubber and straps whenever you want them. Make up a list and I'll send it over.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 30 2017, 01:05 PM) *

Ben - I have the tank rubber and straps whenever you want them. Make up a list and I'll send it over.

Sounds good. He also needs a 2.0 muffler not picky just anything..
Spoke

If the goal is to get the engine running as is, I would suggest dropping the engine and working on it in the garage. Excellent access to everything including adjusting valves.

If you are going to keep the engine in the car, remove the engine hood for better access if you haven't already done so.

I had the same frozen engine when I bought one that had been sitting outside and took in a lot of water.

Using the alternator pulley bolt, I jogged the engine back and forth. At first the engine wouldn't turn, then slowly it turned a bit more until I could get it to turn completely. Ended up draining the oil + 1/2 gallon of water, cleaning and painting the tins, installed the original FI, and got it running in the garage.

I put the engine in the car and ran it for 3 years without a hitch.
mb911
I think he needs to fill the cylinders with something that will break the rings free..not sure what would be best for that. I personally would be pulling the engine apart.

914Sixer
Try some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders.
IronHillRestorations
I'd pull the engine and put it on a stand, turn one bank up and fill with MMM, let soak for several days, repeat the process for the other side.

Whilst out, I'd replace every seal including the push rod tube seals, and replace or re-epoxy the oil galley plugs.
Elliot Cannon
I think I counted three Pintos in that parking lot. av-943.gif Good luck on the new project.
mb911
Well dad called and he took the starter out and turns over no problem so strange I couldn't turn it by hand up front..

So checking starter out and he will go from there.. We also did not hear the fuel pump kick on when we turned the key on so not sure as not familiar with the 4cyl cars as to weather it only turns on with the starter engagement?
mb911
So update .. Dad repaired the starter and reinstalled. Engine actually only turns over about 180 degrees so must have something in a couple of cylinders or part hydolocked? Not sure told him to turn it over with no plugs in it.

Oil in cylinders now soaking..

Also he has discovered no power from key to starter so he is jumping starter to ensure the engine turns over.. I have never owned a 914 that I used the relay board .. Does anyone know what the 1st spot to check would be? I have to explain over the phone to him and I am not familiar enough with 4cyl cars and haven't done any wiring on a 914 in 16 years.
Freezin 914
Maybe I can help you with some parts, if you need some. I have a bunch of stuff and I am close enough. Nice car! Look forward to seeing it come together. popcorn[1].gif
mb911
That would be cool. He is missing allot.. He has no bumpers,seats, door cards, etc..
Freezin 914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 10 2017, 05:40 PM) *

That would be cool. He is missing allot.. He has no bumpers,seats, door cards, etc..

I am sure I have some of these things. PM me you contact info, I can text you some photos.
mb911
Pm sent.
mb911
So dad's 70th is this week and he slowly has worked on the car, changed out relay board(thanks Mark), replaced ignition switch, got the engine to break free after sitting for years, now the engine turns over by the key switch but probably needs a starter, fuel pump works, he has figured most of the wiring out .. I found a muffler here from a very giving member here.. Thanks Kevin.

He is looking at buying a new known starter but again he moves slow on these things. I would guess he is a couple hours away from it starting.

Still needs a ton of parts.. I gave him my backpad and some extra seals etc but he still needs a bunch of parts .. Seats are a priority..

mb911
Here are some pictures of the car. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=654
155]Click to view attachment
Rob-O
Nice! At least he’s making progress, even if it’s slow going.

Nice to see some folks stepping up and donating some parts. Kevin is a good guy, he sent me an enormous box of parts awhile back. Mark is stand up, too.

Just from the photos I’ve seen I’ve got a few things I could send your way. I think I have a relay board cover and I know I definitely have a new front trunk seal. If you have a list send me a PM. I’ll gather what I have and get it to you. Just paying it forward...
porschetub
Looks like a sound car,best to motor out as its a lot harder to free up otherwise.
Dump the oil and look for whitemetal and other bits you may find in the oil filter if you open it ,if that's ok the bottom end should be fine ,pull the motor and dose with a penetrant or what ever you want down the inlets...let it soak.
I will mention what I did with a seized T4 1800 only months ago,flywheel was off so I found some meaty HT bolts and fitted them in the flywheel ,had previously put kerosene down the intakes cause that's all I had,heated the barrels with a heat gun,rocked it back and forward with a bar and it turned after a couple of repeat attempts,haven't stripped it right down yet but one good thing is it appears to have no valve issues.
Good luck.

ClayPerrine
I saw in the picutres that the seat belt interlock relay is still connected. This will cause a no crank issue. There is a solid yellow wire and a yellow with a red tracer wire connected to them. Pull them from the relay and splice them together. That should fix the no crank issue.

And if you need anything, let me know. I probably have enough spare parts in my garage to build another 914 if I had a tub.

Rob-O
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 10 2018, 04:10 AM) *

And if you need anything, let me know. I probably have enough spare parts in my garage to build another 914 if I had a tub.

Just one???? I’d say several...
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 10 2018, 05:10 AM) *

+1

If you need anything that I have I'll send it. Great to see Dad in action...
mb911
Thanks everyone.. I will have dad make a list. I have been giving him any spares that I have and I know he would appreciate any help as he is on a very fixed income..

On his shortlist I know he wants to buy new ignition wires, cap, rotor for sure..
mb911
Dad just sent me a list.. I messed up and gave away an engine lid. Oh well..

The List

and pan
Antenna fender mount
Outside door handles and seals
Trunk gasket
Steering wheel and hub cover
Gas tank strap and rubber cushion passenger side
Driver's side mirror
Window handles
Front quarter windows with windowrails
Front side marker light assemblies
Hand brake- Handle assembly
Trunk latch assembly Distributor cap
Plug wires
Brake hoses
Rear brake pads
Inner door panels
Passenger window glass with mounting rail
Engine lid assembly
mepstein

The List

and pan - ?
Antenna fender mount - probably
Trunk gasket
Steering wheel and hub cover - yes
Gas tank strap and rubber cushion passenger side - yes
Driver's side mirror - yes
Window handles- yes
Front quarter windows with windowrails - yes
Front side marker light assemblies - yes
Hand brake- Handle assembly - yes
Trunk latch assembly - yes
Distributor cap
Plug wires
Brake hoses
Rear brake pads
Inner door panels - yes, tan
Engine lid assembly- yes

mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2018, 12:40 PM) *

The List

and pan - ?
Antenna fender mount - probably
Trunk gasket
Steering wheel and hub cover - yes
Gas tank strap and rubber cushion passenger side - yes
Driver's side mirror - yes
Window handles- yes
Front quarter windows with windowrails - yes
Front side marker light assemblies - yes
Hand brake- Handle assembly - yes
Trunk latch assembly - yes
Distributor cap
Plug wires
Brake hoses
Rear brake pads
Inner door panels - yes, tan
Engine lid assembly- yes

Mark,

Clay is helping out with an engine lid., I found some door panels I will give him and 1 wart assembly , rear latch as well..

Making a smaller list. Yeah..

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.