Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hats. We need hats ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
And by hats i mean 914world.com baseball caps. Good quality and good design.

Anyone?
poke.gif
Millerwelds
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2016, 06:16 PM) *

Anyone?
poke.gif

I second this nomination. Mainly because I do not want Andy to ban me. That and our receding hairlines...
stevegm
I'll do them if you want. We already embroider hats and could do them easily. My best friend own an embroidery company. I would just need a logo file and then we can pick the hat style.
SirAndy
QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 19 2016, 06:25 PM) *
I would just need a logo file and then we can pick the hat style.

What file format do you need?
idea.gif
76-914
Open it up for bids from our members. One will need to have a Red Mohawk on it. biggrin.gif Would it be bad form to suggest they be Made in the USA?
Tom_T
If Steve's contact can't do it, then maybe try Mike 911cuda in San Diego who had a local shop do those nice 914 silhouette hats last year.

However, I'll say now that I thought that the original font on the 914 world logo was much much better, & I'd prefer to see it go to a stock or modified stock closer to that look for both the hats & badges etc., & for the website.

It just looked more "914" than the "pointy" font now used.

I don't know if Porsche set their "legal beagles" on you Andy to change it, but perhaps there is a way to get "official permission" to use a font closer to the original, if they did threaten you with legal action.

Perhaps the PCA could mediate or offer some advice or assistance on it too?

I'll be in Atlanta on a biz trip at the beginning of November, if you'd like me to meet with somebody at PCNA face-to-face, but you should prearrange with whom & what you want presented then. You can email or PM me for my cell # if you want to discuss it further.

JMHO, beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
stevegm
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2016, 09:27 PM) *

I would just need a logo file and then we can pick the hat style.

What file format do you need?
idea.gif

Just a vector file. Adobe Illustrator would be great. Send me whatever you have. I'll have a mock up by the end for the week.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 19 2016, 06:33 PM) *
However, I'll say now that I thought that the original font on the 914 world logo was much much better, & I'd prefer to see it go to a stock or modified stock closer to that look for both the hats & badges etc., & for the website.
I don't know if Porsche set their "legal beagles" on you Andy to change it, but perhaps there is a way to get "official permission" to use a font closer to the original, if they did threaten you with legal action.

Did you just volunteer to convince the lawyers at PCNA to let us use the Porsche font again?
popcorn[1].gif
GaroldShaffer
Way back in the day member here seanery (Sean Lee) had club hats made up. I believe Jeroen made the 914 design. Anyway I have had these stashed away in my closet for close 10yrs now I believe. Sean may still have the file for the logo. He isn't on here much anymore, but I do keep in contact with him on facebook. I could check with him if you want Andy.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 19 2016, 06:40 PM) *
I could check with him if you want Andy.

Can't hurt to ask, but i remember Jeoren was pretty protective of his "outline".
idea.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2016, 08:42 PM) *

Can't hurt to ask, but i remember Jeoren was pretty protective of his "outline".
idea.gif

Yes he was, but he gave the ok for those hats so I don't see why that would be a issue now? confused24.gif I will get ahold of Sean and post back.
stevegm
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2016, 09:42 PM) *

idea.gif

Do you want a 914world logo on them or a "914" emblem in a 914 car outline? The outline is easy. We did a shirt with an outline a while back. If that is what you have in mind let me know and I'll post a design for you to see.

I've got a couple dozen of these in stock now.
flat4guy
I would wear either one of those...
jd74914
I would love one with the outline! My current favorite hat is wearing out. laugh.gif
76-914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 19 2016, 07:34 PM) *

I would love one with the outline! My current favorite hat is wearing out. laugh.gif

+1 with 914world where the 914club is presently.
Larmo63
I would think a "914 World" hat would say 914 World?
Coondog

I'll do them if you want. We already embroider hats and could do them easily. My best friend own an embroidery company. I would just need a logo file and then we can pick the hat style.

I am in for a 914 World Hat
stevegm
I'll check on adding 914world.com on the edge of the bill. I know that was a common design a few years ago. We did a couple of these prototypes below about 6 months ago. 914 Tartan from 914rubber. They turned out to be a PITA and expensive to make (about $45 to produce, IIRC). But, it is a neat hat.
jeffdon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2016, 06:16 PM) *

Anyone?
poke.gif

Gotta look cool. Like vintage racing ball caps. It that's a thing. Oh, and I need a black one.
ben*james

Way back in the day member here seanery (Sean Lee) had club hats made up. I believe Jeroen made the 914 design. Anyway I have had these stashed away in my closet for close 10yrs now I believe. Sean may still have the file for the logo. He isn't on here much anymore, but I do keep in contact with him on facebook. I could check with him if you want Andy.

I'd buy a few of these for sure. These look like nice quality hats! aktion035.gif
hndyhrr
And if it not to much trouble could you do a few in a women's hat, the guys hats are great but sit on my ears.

Thanks
Renee
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 19 2016, 11:18 PM) *

I'll check on adding 914world.com on the edge of the bill. I know that was a common design a few years ago. We did a couple of these prototypes below about 6 months ago. 914 Tartan from 914rubber. They turned out to be a PITA and expensive to make (about $45 to produce, IIRC). But, it is a neat hat.

How did I miss those? I would have grabbed one for sure, any of these left Steve?
Phil
stevegm
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 19 2016, 11:46 PM) *

How did I miss those? I would have grabbed one for sure, any of these left Steve?
Phil

I think I just have the blue one in the picture floating around. The other one we did was taken back apart to use as a template. I concluded that they were too expensive to stock a bunch in different colors (they are lined, and done really well). So that project is just sorta sitting. But, I have some tartan cloth that Mark sent me. Let me know what color tartan you want, and I can have one made for you. It would also help if you let me know your head size, as they are not adjustable.
Mueller
Us bald guys need beanies with winter coming up!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 19 2016, 11:52 PM) *

So true rolleyes.gif
championgt1
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 19 2016, 08:52 PM) *

Not bald but a beanie would cool!
Chris914n6
Baseball hats don't keep me from getting sunburned while driving. Boonie hats do biggrin.gif

IPB Image
napasteve
I like the one I got from Cuda911 (Hats group buy started 7/19/15). Maybe Cuda still has some?
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Got one I can do, just need to check with a "partner" to see if we can do it.
matthepcat
It would be nice if the hats could be made from a higher quality flex fit hat.

Either a "pre bent" version like this:

Click to view attachment
Or a flat version like this:(which I prefer so I can bed to my own shape)

Click to view attachment

They look nicer than the floppy 1990's hats common to custom logo apparel catalogues.
oldschool
caps are about $8 to $13 most styles.
let me know.... shades.gif
euro911
Make them up with the real PORSCHE font, and state that any monetary transactions would be considered 'donations' ... not sales - then the lawyers can pound sand cool_shades.gif
Mike Fitton
The type font used for the original "914" badges is in the public domain Porsche does not own it. Now the Porsche name that is a different story.
zach914v8
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Oct 20 2016, 01:07 AM) *

It would be nice if the hats could be made from a higher quality flex fit hat.

Either a "pre bent" version like this:

Or a flat version like this:(which I prefer so I can bed to my own shape)

They look nicer than the floppy 1990's hats common to custom logo apparel catalogues.

I concur! These hats are way better then those el cheapo hats.
Andyrew
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 20 2016, 02:04 AM) *

Make them up with the real PORSCHE font, and state that any monetary transactions would be considered 'donations' ... not sales - then the lawyers can pound sand cool_shades.gif

agree.gif

Also I like the "Prebent" hat as well.

IPB Image

This is the current hat that I grabbed from the Porsche factory museum while I was there. Really like this one.
Mueller
No "bro" flat bill hats!

Now get off my lawn! smile.gif
matthepcat
Mueller, you would look great in a bro hat rolling in the Range Rover. smile.gif

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 20 2016, 07:37 AM) *

No "bro" flat bill hats!

Now get off my lawn! smile.gif

jd74914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 20 2016, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 20 2016, 02:04 AM) *

agree.gif

Also I like the "Prebent" hat as well.

agree.gif Definitely worth the cost premium.
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2016, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 19 2016, 06:33 PM) *

Did you just volunteer to convince the lawyers at PCNA to let us use the Porsche font again?
popcorn[1].gif

Well yes, I believe I just did Andy - or at least to try talking to them about it on a prelim basis, if you have the specific person to talk to about it. idea.gif

Note that I am NOT a lawyer, but after 46+ years in the real estate/development industry & running my own business for 33+ years, I have dealt with my share of lawyers & negotiations.

However, it sounds like the overall font is in the public domain according to Mike Fitton - just as are Helvetica, Microgramma (which is close the Porsche & 914 font), etc. - so it should not be an issue.

"The type font used for the original "914" badges is in the public domain Porsche does not own it. Now the Porsche name that is a different story.

Mike Fitton"

And then again, there are other not-for-profit ways around the use, as euro911/Mark says below....

"Make them up with the real PORSCHE font, and state that any monetary transactions would be considered 'donations' ... not sales - then the lawyers can pound sand cool_shades.gif

Mark S..."

If Mike is correct, then there is/was no reason to change the font on 914world, but I haven't researched this like you others may have.

Andy, you've got my PM/email contact info, & I'll be going to the new PCNA HQ & Experience Center this trip, since I missed out in May when my tooth blew-up & I had to fly home for an emergency (redo) root canal & missed going in.

So - as I said above - PM/email me for my cell # & we can talk when mutually convenient, if you want to pursue the PCNA avenue. I'm not getting email updates on this post, so you'll have to contact me directly to carry my volunteering any further.

Again, my vote would be for a multi-color embroidery of the original 914club grill badge - updated to 914world - or very similar to this one below, for the hats. The new badge design which Mark/914Rubber has is nice, but lacks the "real" 914 font of these old school ones. But I'd say do the "914world.com" script at the top in the correct 914 font too (not the pointy one used now).

IPB Image

Or even just update the new one with the "correct" 914 font & 914world in that same font (assuming the font is open source domain).

But I'm too old school to want one of the Millennials'-style hard structured hats with the dead flat bill as shown above, as I like my hats bills with a curve to keep the sun out of my eyes - not to look "Gangsta"! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 19 2016, 11:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 19 2016, 11:46 PM) *

Phil

I think I just have the blue one in the picture floating around. The other one we did was taken back apart to use as a template. I concluded that they were too expensive to stock a bunch in different colors (they are lined, and done really well). So that project is just sorta sitting. But, I have some tartan cloth that Mark sent me. Let me know what color tartan you want, and I can have one made for you. It would also help if you let me know your head size, as they are not adjustable.

cool, I will send you a PM
7TPorsh
Add our names...
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
I do currently have in stock the patches that could be added to any hat

http://www.shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-...?keywords=patch

Could easily have these sewn to a quality hat.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 20 2016, 10:17 AM) *

I do currently have in stock the patches that could be added to any hat

http://www.shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-...?keywords=patch

Could easily have these sewn to a quality hat.

IMHO Not quality enough. I would want something like that embroidered but that's really to big of a design to put on the top of my head.

I think we should all come up with a design and vote on it. smile.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 20 2016, 10:04 AM) *

Add our names...

Could be an expensive add. BUT I like that idea.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 20 2016, 09:39 AM) *

Oh boy, some people just don't get it.

I really don't care if someone on the internet thinks this or that is public domain and thus open to fair use, blah blah blah.

You know what i *do* care about?
The certified letters from the PCNA lawyers to me personally about 914world.com and the unauthorized use of their trademarks.

I *really* don't give a rats ass what you or any other arm chair lawyer thinks.
If we're going to do 914world hats they will *NOT* have any Porsche trademarks on them.
Simple as that, no discussion.

Now, on to actually making hats:

- Good quality hats, no cheap crap
- Pre-bend, can't stand the flat crap
- 914world.com should be on there somewhere

shades.gif

JawjaPorsche
Here is one I purchased five years ago.
Mike Fitton
Here is the 914 font free download:

http://www.dafont.com/914.font
worn
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 19 2016, 05:28 PM) *

Open it up for bids from our members. One will need to have a Red Mohawk on it. biggrin.gif Would it be bad form to suggest they be Made in the USA?

No - a long front to back hole oughta do.
worn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2016, 05:16 PM) *

Anyone?
poke.gif

I like the NARP ones, but I never got one since I am not a real NARP member. They could be like that. I am in for a couple cause I will lose them.

zach914v8
I am sure I am way out numbered here considering the 914 and it's growing valve has pushed most owners in the 40+ year old range, but I want a flat brim hat!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.