Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing the Front Fenders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PlantMan
Hello All!
I am going to begin the rust removal process on the front of the car. The front window cowling is bad and I have a replacement but at the same time I would like to remove the fenders to eradicate the rust where the top of the fender meets the cowl.
While I am in there, I am going to remove the gas tank and clean-up underneath and detail anything else in the trunk that is necessary.
With removing the front fenders does the front end of the car need to be properly braced from front to back to limit sagging with the fenders removed? I would imagine it does but I want to hear from the 'Brain Trust' if I can just leave the car on jack stands while doing this work? I did not count on making a jig at this point but if I need to I suppose I should.......
Removing the fenders will make it easier to eliminate the warts and knock out a couple dings too.

Appreciate the help.
rick 918-S
Although the front fenders are part of the safe construction of the car it will not sag if you remove them. Because of the way the fenders are welded removal is extremely difficult and if you have little experience removing spot welds it usually ends badly. Post some photos of your project. Lets see what your up against.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
PlantMan
Thanks Rick.
You can check my Build Thread below within my signature. There are a few good pics of the area in question.
I could probably carve out the bad areas much easier once the cowl is removed. Getting to the tank would be easier too.
Perhaps I am making this more difficult than it needs to be?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.