Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it bad...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
while just cruising down the highway in 5th gear at 'reasonable' speeds?

Not in the 914, but in my GTI. I had brought the car in for service a few weeks ago complaining about some ticking and rattling noises. Yestarday it was actually nice out, so I had the windows down. I remarked that the car sounded quieter than it had in some time. I drove through the city fine and went about 10 miles up the highway when I hear a metalic clink like something falling off and under the car. A few feet later (at 70mph-ish) the from wheels lock for an instant then free up. I start moving to the right lanes and have no problem. I cruise (much slower) in the right lane and the wheels lock again. I pull over and look under the car (as much as I can as it's a bit low). I see nothing unusual. Figuring I have nothing to loose, I easilly roll down the break down lane when the car locks up yet again. (ok, I should have figured ou that I wasn't going to make it home the first time it happened). On a flat bed it goes to the dealer with hopes of using the 10/100 warrenty (it's a '95 with 95k).

Man, I need a new(er) car! Whatcha think happened?

Oh, along with theis recent rattle that went away, the shift lever would rock badly under accelleration and decelleration. I was thinking about new motor mounts. remember this is a cable shift 5 speed VR6 FWD.

finger.gif VW
Porsche Rescue
My guess is that a CV joint has failed.
aufaber
You can also try asking on Vortex: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeromain

-Aaron G>
ejm
The pin for the spider gears came loose in the diff. Prolly took the case with it. Happens all the time. If it broke thru the housing there may be oil on the clutch. Warranty will buy a new disc if needed. You are the original owner? Otherwise powertrain is till 50K.
J P Stein
QUOTE(ejm @ Jun 24 2003, 09:46 AM)
Happens all the time. .

Keerist.......
Take the effin' thing and roll it off a cliff....hit yourself in the hiad with a hammer...twice...once for buying a VW and once for the injury lawsuit....delete this thread.
kafermeister
QUOTE(ejm @ Jun 24 2003, 12:46 PM)
The pin for the spider gears came loose in the diff. Prolly took the case with it. Happens all the time. If it broke thru the housing there may be oil on the clutch. Warranty will buy a new disc if needed. You are the original owner? Otherwise powertrain is till 50K.

What EJM said. I've been through it twice. Same problem both times. VW seems to believe there's no need for a c-clip to hold the pin in place, even though they go to the trouble to mill a place for it (on the 16v cars at least).

Rick
ejm
QUOTE(kafermeister @ Jun 24 2003, 10:25 AM)
VW seems to believe there's no need for a c-clip to hold the pin in place, even though they go to the trouble to mill a place for it (on the 16v cars at least).

Sorta. From the factory the ring gear is held to the carrier by rivets, two of which have a large cup shaped washer that retains the pin. Problem is the pin can move back and forth and eventually beats it's way out of the housing. To replace the ring gear you drill out the rivets and reattach it with bolts, the bolt kit comes with the clips, that's why the pin comes grooved.
djm914-6
Does this include teh VR6 tranny? I know it's a different part number than the /4 counterparts. I am the original owner of this car, so I hope it's something covered under the PT warrenty.

I'd love to take JP's advice right now, but I need the cash that a sale would generate. On the flip side, I hate to sell a car that's paid for and has so many new parts.

I swore I would never buy another VW product again...

I just saw a sweet 20th Anniversary GTI. Black on Charcoal, six speed, old GTI emblems, 180hp 1.8T, and even the killer bunny on the back. The 17" rims with red painted callipers looks a little rice though. Hmmm, I wonder what lease deals are offered on a car like that... ph34r.gif
JWest
I remember that "self machining ring gear" problem from the '83/'84 GTIs, did they really never fix it after ten years?
kafermeister
QUOTE(ejm @ Jun 24 2003, 02:14 PM)
Sorta. From the factory the ring gear is held to the carrier by rivets, two of which have a large cup shaped washer that retains the pin. Problem is the pin can move back and forth and eventually beats it's way out of the housing. To replace the ring gear you drill out the rivets and reattach it with bolts, the bolt kit comes with the clips, that's why the pin comes grooved.

You're right. I left out part of the story. On the one tranny I rebuilt, one of the cups had come loose and gone through the transaxle housing behind the flywheel. The pin was actually still in place at the time I took things apart.

My bolt kit came with the c clips also...which is the way I thought the transaxles should have come from the factory in the first place.

Rick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.