Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition switch replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveO90s4
Hi all,

My ignition switch on my 1975 1.8 is being troublesome so I've decided to replace it. Some questions please:-
1. I see on PP that there are two different versions (cheap at around $10 or so) Is it possible to determine which version I need before I remove the existing one?
2. With the new switch unit will I still use the original key or do I need a new key as well?

Have read the PP replacement instructions - seems relatively straight forward.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
euro911
I changed the switch in my '75 a year or two ago confused24.gif ... You keep your original key/tumbler assembly.

I didn't read the Pelican article, but I kind of remember having to punch or drill a pin to get the tumbles assembly out.
Porschef
Its It's a little time consuming, but pretty straightforward. Just make sure you get a switch from Porsche as it will last, not like the Chinese knockoffs
914Sixer
Make sure you get the right electrical portion. 75-76 units were sourced from the VW Rabbit not the Bug. Usually has a black bottom so you can see the difference right a way.
cary
Quick scan of the Pet calls out model L for the 75.
A : thru 71
K : 72 thru 74
L : 75 +
On working on Mark's car the primary difference I can remember is the location of the tie down set screw.

The Kostal looks to be the K.
The Meyle and the Porsche look to be the L.
Cant tell which one the Meistersatz is.
DaveO90s4
Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.