Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UPS RANT! USPS ANT! Arrrgggghhh!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Red-Beard
When last we met....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...t=20820&hl=pack

And then when I sent the tranny back, UPS f'd it again. That was December.

So I call and call and call and they finally told me they sent out a check......

Now USPS has lost the registered letter. It was supposedly mailed the 23rd, but the USPS says it wasn't mailed until March 31st and that is the only record they have. The PO where it was scanned was tuned upside down last Thursday looking for it.

The _only_ funny part was loaning my cell phone to the USPS manager and the poor guy getting reamed by the UPS Store Manager "Ginger". God is she a Bitch! And loud. Not on the speaker phone, you could hear her clear across the post office.

I have spent something like 6-8 hours trying to get this refund. This is insane. wacko.gif

Someone explain to me _why_ UPS sends out a refund check via USPS ?!? screwy.gif

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

givemebeer.gif

this is proof that no good deed goes unpunished.
Jake Raby
They send the refund out USPS because they KNOW their service sucks!

Fed Ex all the way- I woul'd piss in a box and ship it UPS!
rhodyguy
the check is in the MAIL!!!! hehe. they should have mailed it priority. $3.65 and the envelope is free. 3 days. rolleyes.gif i've had terrible luck with 1st class items mailed to and from california in the last few months. my mortage payment makes it to me just fine and on time from california. funny how that works.

k
Red-Beard
It was mailed from within 2 miles of my house. I don't even know why they mailed the check.
RON S.
BTDT mad.gif

Bought a mini-starter for the 6'r last year from out in Cali. 225.00 bucks charged against my cc.

Vendor sent me the wrong one.No prob he says, just send it back for an exchange.So I did.
Ups looses it,and dumb me didn't insure it.
I end up paying the cc comp,and havin to buy another starter.Ups sents me a measley 100.00bucks.

I think I now have the most expensive starter known on my car now.Ya live and learn,oh well.

Ron
Joe Bob
Weeel, here in Kaleeforny....we would cancel da check and and send a NEW one....yeah this saga will never end.
Joe Bob
Just checked the date on the other post...geeez, five months? Time flies when yer getting yanked around.....UPS can eat my shorts.
Rhodes71/914
Currently missing clutch parts for my squareback. CIP sent me a tracking number when it shipped but it never worked. UPS has no record of the package, evidently the driver wasn't scanning the packages when he picked them up.

Had to order another 'cause who knows when UPS will find the package or declare it lost.

Gotta get that thing back together, the big move is rapidly approaching.
grantsfo
Early in my career I worked for both UPS and FedEx as an industrial engineer.

The original shipment unfortanately was improperly packed. This heavy automotive part should have been crated in a wood box and strapped down or worse case been put in a smaller reinforced box with hard foam packaging material.

In my expereince UPS still has a lot to learn about customer service, but they out perform FedEx in many areas.

Here are some tips. If you dont want something to travel on UPS's or FedEx's belts put it in a wood box. Both carriers have internal rules that no wood is to travel on belts or slides. These wood boxes must travel by cart and placed by hand in the trailers. When you pack something for UPS or FedEx invision your box on a belt with thousands of other packages. On occasion those belts jam with packages and your box will be in that jam. Then your package is either loaded into an air container or a trailer If your package happens to be loaded on the floor of a trailer you are going to have 8 ft of stacked packages riding on top of your box. Imagine 8 ft of boxes on top of yours bouncing down hundreds of miles of road. If something is important always send it on a priority service. Both UPS and FedEx have differnt systems to handle your priority shipment and your package is likely to be handled less in their priority network.

If you think this little problem was bad try losing $200,000 of critical electronic parts when your shipment goes into the bay. FedEx had the nerve to say we should test all the parts before we pay you! Let me see salt water and memory chips ...sure lets test them! I think I was thinking "DumAss" at that very moment. wacko.gif ...the FedEx pilots survived this crash with very few injuries!

user posted image
airsix
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Apr 20 2005, 06:41 AM)
Currently missing clutch parts for my squareback. CIP sent me a tracking number when it shipped but it never worked. UPS has no record of the package, evidently the driver wasn't scanning the packages when he picked them up.

The package get's scanned when:

• The driver picks up the package
  • When the sorters pull it off the truck
  • When it gets' sorted and loaded onto a semi-trailer or box-car
  • When it get's transfered from one trailer or box-car to another
  • when it goes through a transfer center
  • When it arives at the delivery center
  • When it gets loaded on a truck for delivery
  • When it gets delivered

If the tracking number never showed up in the UPS system then UPS never got the package.
-Ben M. (Former UPS employee)
Joe Bob
I have NEVER seen the counter people scan a package....it just disapears into a hole in the wall...
grantsfo
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 20 2005, 07:10 AM)
I have NEVER seen the counter people scan a package....it just disapears into a hole in the wall...

If the counter person enters the package in their system it sends a scan into UPS's tracking system. They do capture the tracking number when they process a package there.

Also many shippers systems capture tracking numbers for an origin scan that is then electronically sent to UPS.

UPS's scanning frequencies are pretty darn good, so if you cant find a package in their system its likely becuase the shipper has screwed up. There is an ocassional issue with bar codes geting ripped off a package but its rare.
Joe Bob
BTW.....the box NEVER had UP DUMASS written on it, it was UP PLEASE in someone ELSE's shitty printing....it was NEVER packaged like that....it ARRIVED like that. The shipping label was removed and reused on the box seen in the pic.

The ORIGINAL Packing was DOUBLE boxed with kernels inside EACH box.

Red Beard fearing another crunching by the UPS monkeys on the return took it to a UPS Store aka Mail Boxes ETC...and PAID them to pack it.

It gets to drop kicked all the way to Californy and the ear is broken off....it was also insured for $3,000.00. UPS is screwing around on a 600 dollar claim.....
grantsfo
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Apr 20 2005, 06:41 AM)

Had to order another 'cause who knows when UPS will find the package or declare it lost.

Gotta get that thing back together, the big move is rapidly approaching.

Sounds more like a case of CPI either processing an order and not shipping or giving a UPS package to FedEx or an employee on the dock stealing the part. Its very unlikely that your shipment got into UPS system and was not scanned at any of the points and then lost. UPS will probably just take the claim if CPI is in good standing with them, but I bet CPI is at fault.

Also UPS drivers rarely scan at origin especially when a shipper has a system that generates a manifest. I guess my question for CPI is where is the origin scan that they are supposed to send to UPS?
grantsfo
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 20 2005, 07:17 AM)
BTW.....the box NEVER had UP DUMASS written on it, it was UP PLEASE in someone ELSE's shitty printing....it was NEVER packaged like that....it ARRIVED like that.  The shipping label was removed and reused on the box seen in the pic.  

The ORIGINAL Packing was DOUBLE boxed with kernels inside EACH box.  

Red Beard fearing another crunching by the UPS monkeys on the return took it to a UPS Store aka Mail Boxes ETC...and PAID them to pack it.  

It gets to drop kicked all the way to Californy and the ear is broken off....it was also insured for $3,000.00.  UPS is screwing around on a 600 dollar claim.....

Good lesson in assuring you go to a real packaging professional (I wouldnt put the UPS store in that category)to properly pack heavy fragile and expensive automotive parts. Again it should have been properly crated. Thats the only way you can assure damage is not going to occur in the small pakage enviroment. Kernels (or styrofoam peanuts) are useless with something like this heavy part. The vibration from belts and over the road trailers allow that stuff to settle out. That box in the original picture does not look like a UPS rewrap. UPS typically only uses new cardboard stock and their rewrap clerks know better than to write "Up Please". So somone outside of the UPS system got their hands on that original box before UPS did. I'm sure this is why UPS has been slow to pay the claim.

If you have to ship an expensive part via UPS and arent willing to crate it then buy lots of heavy grade bubble wrap. Wrap the part once with bubble wrap and use liberal amounts of packing tape to secure the bubble wrap. Then wrap it one more time with bubble wrap and put an address label on the part. There should be enough bubble wrap to allow you to drop the part from about 3-4 ft without damage. Then cut the a new commercial grade reinforced box down to the size of the part. Fill any small voids with tightly wadded newspaper (way better than styro peanuts and cheaper too!). Then tape the crap out of the box. Anything short of a truck running over a box you should be ok with this packing method.

The higher quality Japanese aftermarket companies I have ordered from like Tanabee do an incredible job with using proper reinforced stapled cardboard and hard molded foam that fits the contour of the part. Some of the things they have sent me could be dropped off a 10 story builkding and still look like new.

Also something that a lot of people dont realize is that neither UPS or FedEx will typically not honor claims on shipments that require the box to travel with one side up. It doesnt take more than a trip to a large FedEx or UPS sort facility to see that it isnt economically feasible to follow those types of instructions. Lots of smart shippers have figured out how to design crates that can only travel with a certain side up to overcome this issue. Oh yeah if its an expensive part take a picture of the box with the shipping label as you hand it to UPS or FedEx. Its real tough to argue a claim when you have a picture of your part perfectly boxed with the tracking number showing. I have implemented this practice in most places I have directed in the past amazing how UPS and FedEx damages and claims disapeared.

Think of all the time, grief, etc that would have been avoided here if it was properly crated. And maybe even sent on a heavyweight carrier rather than on the cheap with UPS.

I think UPS ground service has a purpose. They move cheap non critical stuff for cheap. If you have anything of value UPS ground service is probably not a good choice.

wink.gif
Red-Beard
Well, the "good news" is that the "owner" of the store is cancelling the check and cutting a new one either Friday or Saturday (When his bank gives the all clear on the cancelled check). They are going to hold it for me so i can pick it up directly.

I cannot believe all of this. I only live 2-3 miles from the store, but they sent it registered mail instead of phoning me to pick it up. finger.gif

I've wasted so much time with this, definitely more than I spent working on the tranny.
BMartin914
Also something that a lot of people dont realize is that neither UPS or FedEx will typically not honor claims on shipments that require the box to travel with one side up. It doesnt take more than a trip to a large FedEx or UPS sort facility to see that it isnt economically feasible to follow those types of instructions.

I don't think I agree with this statement. From another former UPS emplyee, many chemicals and otherwise 'hazardous' materials move through UPS every day and require that they always be placed 'up' according to the markings on the box. Otherwise you could have a hazardous spill which could potentially close down the facility temporarily. Employees are required to abide by the markings on the boxes [in the case of hazardous materials] i.e. two arrows pointing up. These rules may not always be followed when it comes to 'non-hazardous' goods, but chances are they would not be [completely] ignored.
Red-Beard
The thing that will not die.

I'm on my way home form work and on my way to pickup my parents at the Airport, and I'm close to the USP store and the check is supposedly ready.

Last week, I discussed with "Mike", the owner or something, that I really didn't want to pickup the check/go anywhere near the UPS store because "Ginger" is a Psycho. He said that would delay getting the money because they would have to _mail_ it to another store. And we know how _that_ works.

OK, so back to today...I swing in and say who I am, etc and they ask for ID, hand me 2 money orders and make me sign something that i received the checks. No problem.

"Oh, by the way, you need to put your name on the money orders."

"Not problem. I'll do it on the way to the bank."

I go to the bank. I fill out the name and sign the back.

"I'm sorry Sir, but no one signed the front, we cannot accept them."

"Hello UPS Store, I the bank will not take the money orders you gave me because they are not signed on the front."

"Well, you need to sign it."

"Uh, you gave me the money order. The purchaser has to sign it."

"Yes but you're the purchaser."

"No I'm not. I'm the recipient."

"Just sign it yourself".

"I'm not signing them, that would be fraud. I'm coming over to the store."

Now we have some heated discussion where I tell her to shut up and she hangs up on me. I call the other store and get a very nice woman who says I'm right.

I go into the UPS store and Ginger tells me in a hysteric Manner: "Please get out of my store. Leave my store, etc."

"I say: Please sign the money orders."

Ginger: "No. Get out of my store!"

So I call Maureen back at the other store who now believes that Ginger is a stark raving lunitic. She can't believe what is transpiring.

Ginger walks out of her store, comes over to my car and tells me to get the hell away from her store. We continue to exchange pleasentries, except, well, I actually am _not_ over reacting. I tell her I am waiting on a phone call from her boss as to how to finish this situation (Still waiting).

A little while later, while I still have Maureen on the phone, Ginger comes out and starts harassing me. She wants the Money orders. I ask her what she wants them for. "You're now refusing to let me sign the Money orders? Fine! I'll tell my boss you refused to let me sign them."

Well, this continues like this and I finally let her have them and she goes back into the store. She comes out with them "Signed" and does some over exageratted bow, scrape and presentation and them adds "DON' YOU EVER COME IN MY STORE AGAIN!!!". Not that I plan to.....

She signed the Money orders alright. She signed them:

"UPS Store".

wacko.gif

I am losing my fuching mind.... headbang.gif

James

PS: And "Yes" the shooting in Houston _did_ occur at our company. I needed to deal with a wacko like her after that today.
Joe Bob
So I guess a warm shower and kinky sex at midnight was out of the question?

cool_shades.gif
JRust
Holy Crap Red Beard. What a pain in the arse. I am an independent contractor for DHL. NO way I would ship anything expensive thru any of these guys. Including DHL. I see how other drivers handle the freight. You get a guy that is having a crappy day handling your stuff. Not to mention something bulky & heavy. Most are gonna be flat out pissed because they have to deliver it. Never mind that is what they are paid to do! Typically they are never paid enough(as far as they are concerned) so why should they care how your package arrives. I wish yu luck in the future. Feel free to find out what that beetch drives & hide a dead fish under her seat biggrin.gif
Red-Beard
I'm close to posting the phone number here... cool.gif
Red-Beard
Well, to add, I think I am just about done with the tranny business. I have spent over 20 hours to get the money back. This is an insane waste of time.

Nope, never again. It is Forward Air or forget it.

James

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.