Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alt. belt thrown
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sportlicherFahrer
Just bought a '75 1.8 a couple days ago, so I am fairly new the car. It threw the belt off. ohmy.gif So I am now wondering what tools I will need. I am also wondering if there are any tips anyone can give me. Ive been workin on Bugs for years, so mechanical knowledge is no problem. Just lookin for a little help with the new car. Thanks in advance!
davep
You need a metric Allen key (probably 8mm) to loosen the socket head cap screw on the adjuster. Loosen adjuster, put new belt on, then tighten adjuster with proper belt tension. I'd be wondering if the pulley's were properly aligned.
skline
I have installed belts on the road without any tools. Just get it as far as you can on and then hit the key, make sure your hand is not in there though. Just have to make sure you are going the right direction.
sportlicherFahrer
Ill be sure to check the pulley alignment. How do you tension the belt though? Do you just move the alt., hold it in position and then tighten the bolt down? confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
That's pretty much how you do it. Move the alternator to loop the belt around it, shove the alt back toward the outside, and tighten the pinch bolt.

Or do the "no tools required" method, as outlined here. I have also heard of people pushing the car with the transmission in gear to rotate the engine and slip the belt on.

--DD
davep
If the belt gets thrown, then the belt may be bad, the tension may be bad, or the alignment may be bad.

If you loosen the alt to adjust the tension, then you may find that the alt is too loose, thus it could become mis-aligned. This can happen when the alt case mount wears out too much from being loose. Belt tension is about 1" deflection in the center of the span when pressing down with fair pressure. Recheck the tension in a few hundred miles. New belts do stretch.
sportlicherFahrer
its all fixed now. the PO didnt know(or just didnt mention) that the lower bolt was completely missing! ohmy.gif it had been gone for some time too. the bracket was all rusty where the head should have been. put in a new bolt and everything is good. and now im off to replace the charging system light. mad.gif thank you all again for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.