Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still have gas smell inside car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jarbuthnot
My mechanic has replaced the fuel lines between the tank and the engine. But after the car sits for a day, it still smells inside the compartment. Now what?

He noticed that occasionally one of the fuel hoses on top of each injector leaks. Would that produce the inside smell? What is the normal procedure for replacing these?
redshift
Yes, that would cause it, especially if you run your heater.

It's an easy fix, prolly gaskets, if I understand the problem.

M
Bleyseng
Get the Porsche High pressure EFI fuel hose to replace all the fuel lines in the engine compartment. Replace the hose on the injectors to the fuel rail using the same hose. Use the Porsche EFI hose clamps also as they don't cut into the hose. He will have to cut the crimped on hose on the injectors to remove it. There should be NO LEAKS in the engine compartment from the fuel lines or injectors. Also change out the injector seals at the same time since he will be pulling the injectors out.

Geoff
TheCabinetmaker
agree.gif Geoff nailed it. The smell in the cab could also be left over from the old leak. If the carpet at the pedal got soaked, it could smell for a while. Especially if the windows are rolled up all day. Still, make damn sure you have no leaks anywhere.
914GT
I would also check the gasket on your gas cap, and make sure all the hoses to the vapor canister are in good condition. If anything is leaking fumes there, it has an easier time getting into the car than from the engine compartment.

Edit: I just noticed you have a '71 so maybe no vapor canister on that year. Still, the gas cap can leak a lot of fumes and stink the whole car up.
Brett W
agree.gif My car had major issues with the gas cap leaking. Even after two new caps and several custom gaskets, it still wouldn't stop leaking. Also check and see where the vents for the gas tank exit, are you still following the Porsche Factory diagrams?
jarbuthnot
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Apr 20 2005, 11:03 AM)
Replace the hose on the injectors to the fuel rail using the same hose. Use the Porsche EFI hose clamps also as they don't cut into the hose. He will have to cut the crimped on hose on the injectors to remove it.

So he cuts the factory crimp/clamp and hose off? sad.gif Then what? I'll have him read the tech article on replacing fuel lines, but after skimming through it (and not understanding a thing wacko.gif ) not sure there's anything there about this.
#1RAGE
Maybe check you fuel filter? I just took my car in to see a mechanic about something else. I forgot to mention that I smelled gas but when I went to pick up the car he told me the fuel filter was leaking and he replaced it. The gas smell is now gone.

Two years ago I had a big leak from one of the hoses under the tank. I had all those hoses replaced.
Allan
You just need to pull the injectors out and cut off the metal crimp. You can cut them off with a dremel then cut yourself some pieces of fuel line about 3 inches long and put them on using fuel line clamps. Pretty easy.
anthony
I just replaced a leaky hose that connects to the fuel filter. It was dripping down on the heater hose. The heater hose seems to have the fuel smell permanently impregnated into the hose so I'm going to have to replace them.

Carl
Years ago I had a 911 that always smelled gassy. The culprit was a saturated vapor canister that was leaking really ugly, sludge stuff. Changed the canister and the problem was solved.
jarbuthnot
My mechanic did check the fuel filter and think it was replaced.

Thanks for all the nitty gritty info. Appreciate all your help. Hopefully I'll have the car back next week. Spring has sprung here and it's gorgeous weather for driving!
Jeffs9146
I had the same problem a while back. It turned out to be a loose fitting at the bottom of the tank where the gas lines hook up! I tightened it up and all is well now!!

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.