Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo Cable Q
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
Hi All - been a while since I posted (was active ~10yrs ago). Had Brad Mayeur rebuild a car for me from the ground up. Now am getting some miles put on it and broken in.

Speedo crapped out on me. Have replaced them in the past, so got a new cable from Pelican and had a couple hours today to jack it up & get it sorted.

I was about to remove the old one and run the new one when I noticed something seemed out of whack on the 90degree piece where the speedo bolts up to the tranny.

Is there something that is supposed to be on the back side of the angled part that connects cable to tranny? For example, I don't even see the flat edge screwdriver looking piece that the speedo cable slots into. Did something work it's way off the car whilst driving?

First pic is the front, where the cable screws onto the angle piece.
Click to view attachment

Second pic is the back of the angle piece that attaches the cable to the tranny.
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Yup. Its gone. There is a gear that is held there. You need a new angle drive. I have spares if ya need.
ptravnic
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 23 2016, 04:03 PM) *

Yup. Its gone. There is a gear that is held there. You need a new angle drive. I have spares if ya need.

Thanks, Mike. Does the whole angle part need to be replaced or does the gear fit easily into the existing angle piece?

Dr Evil
The whole thing is one unit that is supposed to have the case end crimped on to retain the gear that is missing. That nut on the transmission side is where you remove the drive. Easy.
Dr Evil
$172-188 at the bird
914-318-029-01

ptravnic
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 23 2016, 04:49 PM) *

$172-188 at the bird
914-318-029-01

Perfect. I just ordered a unit. Should be able to get it sorted next weekend.

Thanks for the direction!

Dr Evil
Dang, I have good used ones for less than 1/2. Should have kept my mouth shut rolleyes.gif
pbanders
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 23 2016, 06:33 PM) *

Dang, I have good used ones for less than 1/2. Should have kept my mouth shut rolleyes.gif

Hey, why buy old and good when you can buy new for 2X! smile.gif
ptravnic
I've had a ~$400 credit @ Pelican for ~6mo and need to use it. dry.gif

tygaboy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 23 2016, 06:33 PM) *

I need one, plus all the related seals.
PM sent!

Have I said how much I love 914 World? piratenanner.gif
stugray
I just cut one in half to make a "plug" for my speedo hole and I have the pieces that you would have needed to fix that old one.

Too late.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.