Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My New 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
I just purchased my new 914. Its a beautiful 1974 in yellow. 38,000 miles and 3 owners. Very original, except for the wheels. Appearance package. PPI checked out very well.

Now just need to find a transport company to ship it from Massachusetts to Connecticut (Weather and old tires make driving risky)

Click to view attachment
iankarr
welcome.png

Congrats! The addiction begins... wink.gif

Regarding transport, if it's only from MA to CT, you have several options...

1) You may be able to have AAA tow it for free. If you've been a platinum member for at least one year, you get a free 300 mile tow.

2) Rent a trailer. U-haul and others have them. You don't need a big truck to pull a 914. A medium SUV should do. Just be sure you get a flat bed trailer and not just one that lifts the front wheels.

3) Hire an auto transport company like http://www.reliablecarriers.com. For a short distance, this is my least favorite option, since you're at the mercy of open slots (you may wait a while before they can pick it up). Also, trucking companies usually prefer long distance jobs, and they can be pricey.

And...you could always have a local shop replace the tires and get it road-ready so you can drive it back yourself. There's nothing like the thrill of realizing you're one mile closer to home without breaking down wink.gif.

Since you live in CT, I'd recommend taking the car to Chris at Tangerine in West Hartford for a once-over and checkup.

Enjoy!!!

Ian

tygaboy
Nice! Contrats! She's a beaut! smilie_pokal.gif

I just transported a car from IL to CA and used InterCity Lines. Awesome all the way around. Plus, you never know what your car will be traveling with:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=296591
jrblackbox
Great looking Teener!
Amphicar770
Congrats. Check out uship.com. I am sure they have many local independents who could transport that short distance. +1 on suggestion to have it checked out at Tangerine.
Beach914
Great looking car ! I've always liked the look of the empis with the black spokes and satin alu rims..
Cairo94507
Great looking 'teener. Get a nice set of original Fuchs for it and you are solid gold smilie_pokal.gif .
yellow75
THATS A BEAUTY!
ChrisFoley
I've been recommending Windhorse Transportation.
Solo operator based in NH.
914Next
beer3.gif

Congrats! Looks like a beautiful car. Would love to see more more pics when you get it. I'm a fellow survivor fan and love seeing these cars in original condition.
Frankvw
I see Racer Chris recommended Windhorse transportation. Windhorse is a one-man/one-car company (Jody), which gives some benefits and I understand normally he is a good guy to deal with, I was that one bad experience. He had issues with his own truck so he did not pick up my car, but failed to communicate this to me or the guy waiting at the pickup location with the car (not once but actually he let me down three times, did not call or mail, was unreachable). I ended up paying a lot of money to find a last-minute solution and all I got was an apology in the end (only because I called him about it and which did not pay my extra bills). That is the downside of a one-man company.
I am not saying you should not pick him. Some people love this guy and his service. I am saying there are risks when dealing with one-man companies. So...my lesson learned....always have a backup plan ! A little poorer after this, but much wiser. This is how we learn in life :-) Good luck with finding transport and with the new car !od
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.