Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broke oil Pump drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Coast Jim
A new engine build required the engine to be removed from the car to replace a broken oil pump gasket on the new Mellling oil pump. As the engine was out I thought I'd do a double check of the valve clearances as this was one of the root causes issue of carb backfire/popping. Got a shop towel caught within the oil pump gears as I was hand turning the engine over by the blower fan. Broke the oil pump drive tang. Two pcs of the drive tang are now in the cam reservoir of the crankcase. Any chance of getting these things out without splitting the case again ???

Just sick over this development confused24.gif
ConeDodger
Magnet?
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 23 2016, 08:59 PM) *

Magnet?

Cast iron small parts are not too permeable. Magnets didn't work
Mark Henry
Try standing it on it's nose, do it on blocks so you can try the magnet again.

Look on the bright side, at least you can toss that total POS melling and put in a 26mm pump. shades.gif
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Oct 23 2016, 08:44 PM) *

A new engine build required the engine to be removed from the car to replace a broken oil pump gasket on the new Mellling oil pump. As the engine was out I thought I'd do a double check of the valve clearances as this was one of the root causes issue of carb backfire/popping. Got a shop towel caught within the oil pump gears as I was hand turning the engine over by the blower fan. Broke the oil pump drive tang. Two pcs of the drive tang are now in the cam reservoir of the crankcase. Any chance of getting these things out without splitting the case again ???

Tried a vacuum fixture I made which separated oil before my vacuum source. Was able to get my pick up under the cam and around the area within the crankcase. No broken pcs found. Gave up and am prepping the motor to split the case. Goes back to the builder tomorrow. Stupid stupid me now lighter in the wallet,
porschetub
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Oct 26 2016, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Oct 23 2016, 08:44 PM) *

Tried a vacuum fixture I made which separated oil before my vacuum source. Was able to get my pick up under the cam and around the area within the crankcase. No broken pcs found. Gave up and am prepping the motor to split the case. Goes back to the builder tomorrow. Stupid stupid me now lighter in the wallet,

I would leave them they are to big to cause any harm,they will fall to the bottom of the crankcase,they are magnetic u could fish them out .
However I'am at a loss to see how this would happen,a shop towel causing the oil pump drive gear to shear??????
Please explain ,thanks.
porschetub
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Oct 24 2016, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 23 2016, 08:59 PM) *

Magnet?

Cast iron small parts are not too permeable. Magnets didn't work

oil pump gears are steel.
Mark Henry
Try breaking a small chunk off of a rare earth magnet and tape it the the end of a coat hanger wire.
You can bend the wire into different shapes to try and get into every nook and cranny.

Make damn sure the magnet is secure on the wire, I'd use gorilla tape.

The tang/drive on a melling is cast? Another reason not to like them. stromberg.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.