Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine longevity
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ammason
I'm moving to Hawaii in July and will be taking my '73 (thank you CAMP) with me. The PO kept meticulous date/mileage records (including when the car was washed) so I know that the engine in there now is a '74 2.0L with about 90k miles on it.

I've been driving VW bugs for a while and those engines seem to last around 60-100k before they need a rebuild, and while this engine still needs a tune up (Saturday!), it doesn't appear to have any issues and sounds/runs great. The maintenance of the engine seems to have been superb prior to my owning it...

What I'm wondering is if my lifetime expectations of 1500-1600 VW engines apply to the 1700-2000 engines in the 914s. People generally say the 6-cyl engines last for a long time - I've heard of them running great up into the 200k range - but I don't know enough about the 914 engines to know if I should be worried that the car will bomb out in 10k and if I should build up the 1.7 into something more fun (2.2 etc.) while I have a garage and swap it before I go, or if the 2.0L statistically got another 50k in it and I should deal with things as they come up out in the islands (I have a relative with a shop on Oahu).

How long do yours generally last?
nebreitling
it's got 90k on it? if it has been well taken care of, then 'statistically' it should run another 30k+ miles, but i've heard of these things going 170k and beyond... don't overheat it, make sure your cyl heads run cool enough not to drop valve seats, change your oil, adjust your valves regularly, and no reason for it not to contine on...
ammason
The car usually stays right around 180F - I think the finned alum. valve covers help with that, although I haven't had the car out on a real hot day yet.

Thanks for the info - that makes things quite a bit simpler on my part...
Dave_Darling
You might want to check the head temps, too. Read the earlier threads on here; oil temps and head temps have almost nothing to do with each other, and either one can indicate a problem...

"Conventional wisdom" is that 2.0s can go for "about" 120K miles. Though Brian Kumamoto got a quarter-million miles out of his original 2.0 motor before he had FAT rebuild it.

I know of several 1.7s that ran for well over 150K miles. A former co-worker had one that went to 270K, and then popped the head off a valve and completely detonated the motor. "It was really hurting for the last 50K miles before that; it probably only made about 40 or 50 HP. But it sure was fun to flog!"

The early Sixes are somewhat high-strung and don't seem to last as well as some of them do. Most of the original 2.7s don't seem to last 75K miles, particularly not the 75+ CA-spec ones with the uber-retarded thermal reactor exhaust setup. sad.gif

It's the 3.0 liter motors that have the real reputation for durability. They're pretty easily quarter-million mile motors, unless they are abused or not maintained or they break a head stud.

--DD
redshift
The last car I sold had 43k when I bought it, and nearly 200k when I sold it... not even a pint of oil a month.

Yeah..

Normally, I say 100ishk.

M
TravisNeff
No better way to find out where you stand than a compression test and maybe a leakdown test. The engines may go for a long while, but the heads will need to be worked on (regrind valve seats and guides), I don't know what interval they go for, 30K miles? Then again, as people say, they can run up to 150k without major service.
ammason
I'll be doing a compression test this weekend along with simple maintenance (replace cap/rotor/condensor/points/plugs,wires, oil change, adjust valves) and clutch replacement. I don't have a float to balance the carbs which would be nice, but I'll figure that one out sometime...
Mueller
I'm glad you are taking the 914 !!!!!

I know of a few people that have sold thier 914s due to moving to the Islands sad.gif

I've been to HI a few times, saw 914's on a few different islands each trip driving.gif
ammason
Yes, the all-practical bulletproof Toyota pickup is getting the left behind for the older, exotic German. I'll have it for sale in the bay area in about a month if anyone's interested...

Another question - how often do you guys change out tranny fluid? Anything you can think of missing in my tune-up?
914werke
Oh oh Carbs headbang.gif lop 20K off there lol2.gif
Grimstead
If you are taking it to the Islands, make sure to park it inside.

RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!

And more RUST!
ammason
I figured rust will be more of an issue - what other kinds of preventative measures can I take?
anthony
I've got 160K on my original engine and it still runs great. It's never been apart as far as a I know and I have docs going back to day one. I have no reason to think it won't go for many more years.
TravisNeff
QUOTE (ammason @ Apr 20 2005, 12:39 PM)
I figured rust will be more of an issue - what other kinds of preventative measures can I take?

A lifejacket or water wings might be helpfull, and some sunblock too beer.gif
akron_zip
I have 130K miles on my 1974 1.8L, but only 3K of those are mine. Nothing at all done to the engine so far. Drips a couple of tablespoons a month, but doesn't burn any oil. I've probably just jinxed myself. Good luck...
MarkG
Do 914's float like the VW Beetles or are you going to have to ship it over? biggrin.gif
grantsfo
I had an original 1.7 engine that went almost 170,000 and it was still running well when I sold the car. I had a 2.0 with 130,000 and it was running well too. Just depends on the history of the car. If somone changed the oil on regular basis and made sure not to lug the engine all the time it should be fine for at least another 25K.
smooth_eddy
If you are taking it to the Islands, make sure to park it inside.

RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!RUST!

And more RUST

agree.gif Cars don't last long in Hawaii. Garaged or not it will rust out quickly. Also, it is pretty hot and humid there and you won't have AC. Eddy
jwalters
wink.gif This has allot to do with a number of things--did the factory mechanic have a "good day" that day? Was the proper viscosity of oil used for its life? was it ever operated in a desert clime? was it ever operated in antarctica? Did you ever blow your nose in a taco bell napkin which you picked off your pass seat and then tossed on the passenger floor while passing a blue hair in a 70 pontiac lead sled??

All these things account for proper mileage extremes: I have pretty well documents, although some are missing, which points to my motor having somewhere between 280-325K miles since new. It smoked like a coal mine on fire on startup--it smoked like a hippie on weed during hot operations, I had to remove my case and head pressure relief hoses cause they were too restrictive, I had to cut off my oil fill cap with a hacksaw and mount a Mr. Gasket shorty carb aircleaner on it to add crankcase ventilation--I had to run a total of about 55 degrees of advance to get power out of it--I kept a case of vavolines best in the front trunk( straight 50W ) AND it was a load of fun.

On my '73 super beetle, which was my first car ever--I put 198k on it before the speedo broke--I knew every cow path and dirt road in my county--was 15 at the time and loving it--one dollar of gas would take me to here and there and back---I estimate I put over 245k on it before a 79 pontiac grand prix ran a stop sign and took my car out forever sad.gif

Everybody gets something different--I truly believe there is no " normal " amount of mileage before self destrucyion with these engines---it is all relative--
Root_Werks
QUOTE (jwalters @ Apr 21 2005, 10:53 AM)
Everybody gets something different--I truly believe there is no " normal " amount of mileage before self destrucyion with these engines---it is all relative--

agree.gif I had a 74' 2.0 with 204k on it when the engine was pulled. Still ran great, didn't even smoke. I put well over 100k miles myself on that motor. Depends on who cares for the car/motor IMO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.