Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VINnr. - Delivery date
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
erwindv
Strange, but perhaps not unusual: VINnr. 4712901931 but already delivered November 1970.

What could be the reason?

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
The automotive "Model Year" (MY) is different from the calendar year.

1971 MY would've run from August 1970 to July 1971, & similarly for other MYs.

So the delivery date would be shortly after that - earlier in Germany (West G. back then) & Europe, & later in the USA & other overseas locations to account for shipping.

My own 73 2.0 was built on 8/31/72 & first registered in California on 11/6/72.

I would guess that you'll find an August or September 1970 build date, if you translate your 914's Chassis Number, which is on the Karmann Plate on the left/driver side front door jamb & stamped in the floor of the rear trunk near the rear wall.

Chassis Nr. Decoder:

IPB Image

9(X) would usually be 95 for Karmann Plant, with 96 or 97 adding 100 or 200 to the number produced that day of the following XXX sequence (i.e.: 95 + 1 or 95 + 2).

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

erwindv
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 24 2016, 02:59 PM) *

The automotive "Model Year" (MY) is different from the calendar year.

1971 MY would've run from August 1970 to July 1971, & similarly for other MYs.

So the delivery date would be shortly after that - earlier in Germany (West G. back then) & Europe, & later in the USA & other overseas locations to account for shipping.

My own 73 2.0 was built on 8/31/72 & first registered in California on 11/6/72.

I would guess that you'll find an August or September 1970 build date, if you translate your 914's Chassis Number, which is on the Karmann Plate on the left/driver side front door jamb & stamped in the floor of the rear trunk near the rear wall.

Chassis Nr. Decoder:

IPB Image

9(X) would usually be 95 for Karmann Plant, with 96 or 97 adding 100 or 200 to the number produced that day of the following XXX sequence (i.e.: 95 + 1 or 95 + 2).

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Hello Tom,

Thanks a lot

Found the chassis nr.: 3919525

So it means: monday September 21 1970?

If you ever visit Belgium, we have great beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Erwin
flat4guy
Good info, thanks for posting. Mine makes sense as the week of NR and month code on vin tag match. whew.... smile.gif
Just curious, how many cars a day did they produce on average?
SKL1
My MY '71 was delivered on 11/11/70 and made in 9/70. I don't believe it is that unusual to have a MY car from the previous calendar year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.