Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Liven up Bumpers, seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LukeD
I read an article on PP about dressing your seals and bumpertops. She mentioned a product called "BlackChrome" but a later article states that the product is no longer made and she had no alterative.

What is everyone using to dress and protect their precious bumpertops and seals, dash...etc. I will be driving with the top off for the next few weeks and I don't want to ruin my beautiful uncracked targa pad and seals biggrin.gif

Thanks

Luke
skline
Meguires and Mothers both sell vinyl treatments that will preserve your dash parts and exposed vinyl.
914GT
QUOTE (skline @ Apr 20 2005, 02:22 PM)
Meguires and Mothers both sell vinyl treatments that will preserve your dash parts and exposed vinyl.

agree.gif Mothers makes a 'Back to Black' which works real well on the rubber and vinyl parts, as compared to Armor-All stuff.
Rick_Eberle
Go to your local fetish shop, and buy some "Latex Polish". It's a silicone spray, and works great. It's also good for new seals that have that grey look.
LukeD
Thanks, that's what I needed. Might as well go get 10% off the latex polish since I have a membership card and all grouphug.gif
Dave_Darling
Note that silicone is not very good for rubber or vinyl. It displaces some of the components in the vinyl, and if you do not keep using it the vinyl will deteriorate much faster than if you had left it alone.

That's why Armor-All is a no-no to some of us.

--DD
skline
QUOTE (Rick_Eberle @ Apr 20 2005, 03:11 PM)
Go to your local fetish shop, and buy some "Latex Polish". It's a silicone spray, and works great. It's also good for new seals that have that grey look.

I am just wondering how you would know about this??? biggrin.gif
Allan
Here's a picture.

JeffBowlsby
I bought Black Chrome recently...should still be available. Its Good stuff.

Silicone and rubber = NO NO
RustyWa
I've used Griot's rubber cleaner and then the vinyl/rubber dressing they sell with great success. People constantly ask me if my bumpers are new. Works real good. I also have the black chrome stuff.
Rick_Eberle

I am just wondering how you would know about this???

My wife wears... never mind.

Try that spray-on foaming tyre cleaner on the bumper tops. Mine came up great!
Jeffs9146
I went through this on my 74 a few years back and I decided not to cover it but to "refinish" it!

I started with 60grit sand paper and went over the whole bumper top, then I moved to 80grit and on to 120grit.

When I was done, I washed it and treated it with Armor All. It looked like new when I was done.

As long as you dont have any cracks in the rubber it works well. The only problem is that once you start you have to do them all!!

If you are not sure that you want to try this you can test it on an old bumper tit and see how it works for you!

NOTE: This worked for me, there are no guarantees that it will work for you!

Jeff

Here is a photo after my treatment!
SGB
Hey Allan-
Where'd you get that picture of Miles? You guys shop at the same store?
firstknight13
i tried mothers "back to black"not happy. then went and bought " forever black" not happy. so i did the old sixties thing and used high gloss heel and edge dressing liquid shoe polish!!! YES it works great and i got it at rite aid its like a cvs store for $4.00 a bottle!!! it's the BOMB!!! try it you'll like it!! and easy to apply too!!! smilie_pokal.gif clap.gif mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.