Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield OE Color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matchpoint
I am in the process of locating a new windshield for my 1976 - 914 project. ProSource Glass International in MA has a clear windshield or a green tint windshield mfg by Sekurit in Finland.

Does anyone know if the OE window in 1976 was clear or did the car have a green tint option at order?

I am trying to keep the car original and not sure if I should use clear or green tint glass. My original pitted windshield is difficult to tell if it is clear or a slight green tint.

Anyone have any advice on the Sekurit vs the Chinese windshields. Looks like the Sekurit is right at $300 and the Chinese glass is at $200. I understand the Chinese glass has a poor fit at the upper windshield chrome trim because the Chinese glass does not have the upper glass bevel/bubble which makes for a poor trim chrome fit. The Sekurit I understand does have a the slight bubble/bevel at the glass top like the OE glass has which makes a good OE fit.
Thanks
Chris914n6
Probably green tint. The green tint is an industry standard solar limiting glass used since the 50s.

The green tint will be more comfortable to drive in.
ConeDodger
You're assuming, that after 40 years, your windshield is original. evilgrin.gif

I believe both were available. Check with the Originality forum. They'd know... beerchug.gif
914werke
agree.gif Both.
A COA would confirm but the most obvious way to determine if it came equipped with clear or tint would be which side glass is installed?
Cairo94507
Whatever you do, I would not try to install a Chinese windshield. If it were me, I would go tinted.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 25 2016, 09:49 AM) *

Whatever you do, I would not try to install a Chinese windshield. If it were me, I would go tinted.

agree.gif

I got a chip that became a crack in my 2013 Tundra last winter. I called my insurance company and they sent a local glass company. Two weeks after my pristine new Chinese windshield was installed, it rained. My 5'2" daughter who has no fear and regularly drives my Tundra calls and says "Dad! Your windshield is leaking!" I call the insurance company and they send the glass guy back. No shit! Black silicone sealer and some kind of rubber strip to cover the makeshift repair. Then, one hot day in July, a spontaneous crack while sitting in the driveway. Now, my insurance company is paying $850 for a factory replacement.
Bottom line, cheap is often the most expensive...
Tom_T
QUOTE(matchpoint @ Oct 24 2016, 08:52 PM) *

I am in the process of locating a new windshield for my 1976 - 914 project. ProSource Glass International in MA has a clear windshield or a green tint windshield mfg by Sekurit in Finland.

Does anyone know if the OE window in 1976 was clear or did the car have a green tint option at order?

I am trying to keep the car original and not sure if I should use clear or green tint glass. My original pitted windshield is difficult to tell if it is clear or a slight green tint.

Anyone have any advice on the Sekurit vs the Chinese windshields. Looks like the Sekurit is right at $300 and the Chinese glass is at $200. I understand the Chinese glass has a poor fit at the upper windshield chrome trim because the Chinese glass does not have the upper glass bevel/bubble which makes for a poor trim chrome fit. The Sekurit I understand does have a the slight bubble/bevel at the glass top like the OE glass has which makes a good OE fit.
Thanks

IMHO & as others have said, take a pass on the Chinese junk .... errrr glass!

Sekurit was one of the OEM mfgrs. of glass for the 914 back in the day, so it should be correct & good quality for your replacement.

Your 76 could've had glass one of 3 ways (as with any 70-76 914/4 or -6):

1 - All Clear
2 - Tinted windshield with clear side glass
3 - "Tinted All Around" (except rear, which was always clear since it was protected)

(side note - rear glass was always clear, but could be had with rear defrost, & there would be an extra dash switch to the right of the steering column if so.)

The only ways to know which was correct on your car (or anyone else's reading this), would be to either look at the original window sticker list of options/equipment, or to get a COA from PCNA (unless you have one already).

PCA members get a discount, & if you mention seeing the Porsche/PCNA ad in "Panorama" magazine of $10 IIRC even for non-members, & if you have the window sticker you get a discount if you send them a copy (it eliminates much of their research time) as well. Call the PCNA 800# to order it.

If you're concerned with sun on a DD or pleasure use car, then you could still go with a tinted windshield for better driveability.

Note that even the clear glass has a slight greenish-blue tint in it, due to the microscopic plastic sheet embedded in the glass to make it into safety glass.

I would recco having a local known excellent quality glass installer or Porsche dealer order & install it for you, so it's done right & you're not on the hook if the glass is damaged. You might also want to have them order a new set of the plastic mounting pieces, & a new repro windshield trim set so it all looks & fits as new.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris914n6
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 24 2016, 09:31 PM) *

You're assuming, that after 40 years, your windshield is original. evilgrin.gif

Mine is biggrin.gif Still has most of the Cali smog sticker. Getting replaced anyways as years of driving "sandblasted" nicks that make it interesting to see out of at night.

Most of my cars had the appearance group/center console and tinted side glass. Correlation, I think so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.