Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voltage Regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ws6
Help. I have gotten three voltage regulators from the normal Porsche Parts suppliers and none fit. The distance from edge of case to the first spade is .25 inches on my original regulator. The catalogs all show same regulator for 911, 914, and 914-6. The ones I have received vary from .4 from the edge to .65 from the edge all with same PN so will not fit in area to plug into. Anyone know the actual part to buy? My original has numbers on it in this order 0 190 601 006 AD 1/14V. The replacements show up as PN 901 603 206 02 Yes I can rewire, or maybe take both apart and move the guts, but trying to keep original and not have a wire harness to convert to get wires to new regulator. Thank you for your help. TimClick to view attachment
pbanders
I was going to recommend the Bosch transistorized voltage regulator for you (043-903-803-B) but holy crap, PP has them for $250!! That's insane, maybe if they were made of solid gold. I see that Airhead Parts has them for $138.85, cheaper but still outrageous. If you can find a cheaper source, this Bosch regulator is the best one.
pbanders
Looks like Hella offers an equivalent for a fraction of the price, $32.33

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/-p-1513...8W4caAqI08P8HAQ

Pelican Parts has the same Hella regulator for $34. I've never used one, maybe someone here who has can comment. Looking at the comments on PP there seem to be fitting problems, not dissimilar from what you've experienced.

That replacement one you have looks like the cheap auto parts store version, I never had much luck with those, they were barely better than the old mechanical Bosch units (like your old one).
ws6
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 25 2016, 08:26 PM) *

Looks like Hella offers an equivalent for a fraction of the price, $32.33

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/-p-1513...8W4caAqI08P8HAQ

Pelican Parts has the same Hella regulator for $34. I've never used one, maybe someone here who has can comment. Looking at the comments on PP there seem to be fitting problems, not dissimilar from what you've experienced.

That replacement one you have looks like the cheap auto parts store version, I never had much luck with those, they were barely better than the old mechanical Bosch units (like your old one).

Thank you for your help. The Airhead site shows as: OE Bosch Solid State Version 0192062007. Type 2 Bus w/AL75 or AL108 Alternators, Type 4 69-74. Replaces Bosch 0190600016.

At least they have the Bosche PN listed and it is close as 600 vs. 601.
raynekat
Be careful, not all will fit correctly.
I know I bought one of Ebay that was supposed to fit a 914, but nothing lined up right. So yes a fitment issue.
ws6
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 25 2016, 08:13 PM) *

I was going to recommend the Bosch transistorized voltage regulator for you (043-903-803-B) but holy crap, PP has them for $250!! That's insane, maybe if they were made of solid gold. I see that Airhead Parts has them for $138.85, cheaper but still outrageous. If you can find a cheaper source, this Bosch regulator is the best one.

I have ordered the one from airhead taking the chance same company, same engine, alternator vs. generator, and same years in the hope it may work. The guy at Airhead was very helpful and measured distance to the pins and looks close.
914Sixer
How MANY old style do you want? I have 6 NOS Bosch old style ones. I have a source for 10 more if they are needed. They are universal fit and have large holes. A large washer takes care of the problem.

FYI: None of the aftermarket fit right. Bosch early and the late 1/2 size are the only ones that fit correctly

$58 delivered to your door in 2 days Priority Mail
Paypal: a914nut@email.com
pbanders
QUOTE(ws6 @ Oct 27 2016, 11:36 AM) *

I have ordered the one from airhead taking the chance same company, same engine, alternator vs. generator, and same years in the hope it may work. The guy at Airhead was very helpful and measured distance to the pins and looks close.

Here's a pic of the half height, transistorized Bosch regulator installed in my car. Fit was no issue.

Click to view attachment
porschetub
The Pelican Chinese made Hella sorta fits,pins are right but mounting holes are wrong......how long they last who knows?
pbanders
Here's another possible VR that looks similar to the $$$ transistorized Bosch unit. Anyone try one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONARK-Regler-fur-...TAAAOSwstxVYGQe
raynekat
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 27 2016, 12:31 PM) *

How MANY old style do you want? I have 6 NOS Bosch old style ones. I have a source for 10 more if they are needed. They are universal fit and have large holes. A large washer takes care of the problem.

FYI: None of the aftermarket fit right. Bosch early and the late 1/2 size are the only ones that fit correctly

I used this one, and it fits perfect.
Just need the larger washers and you're all set....
ws6
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 28 2016, 12:39 PM) *

The Pelican Chinese made Hella sorta fits,pins are right but mounting holes are wrong......how long they last who knows?

I purchased one of those too, pin location was off .15 inch so would not fit in location.
ws6
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 27 2016, 01:45 PM) *

QUOTE(ws6 @ Oct 27 2016, 11:36 AM) *

Here's a pic of the half height, transistorized Bosch regulator installed in my car. Fit was no issue.

Click to view attachment

Thank you everyone for your help! The Airhead PN 043-903-803B arrived, fit great, and the gages appear to be calibrated correctly, so it appears to be a functioning replacement.

Does anyone know if the replacement electronic ones last more than a few years as the original made it 45 years. Thinking might buy one of the OEM replacements just to have on shelf. Thank you all again. Tim
pbanders
QUOTE(ws6 @ Oct 31 2016, 03:47 PM) *

Does anyone know if the replacement electronic ones last more than a few years as the original made it 45 years. Thinking might buy one of the OEM replacements just to have on shelf. Thank you all again. Tim

Mine's been reliable, it should be more reliable than the OEM mechanical regulator.

I try to have a spare of just about every part I can get. Every year more things go NLA and the price of replacement goes up. Keeping a stock of parts on hand can help ease the pain, and also helps when you need to do troubleshooting.
nsr-jamie
How about those BERU ones for sale on ebay, do they fit...I need a new voltage regulator as well
branston
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Feb 12 2017, 10:51 PM) *

How about those BERU ones for sale on ebay, do they fit...I need a new voltage regulator as well

No the Beru ones have the same dimensional problems and won't fit with the plastic relay board cover in place.

I bought a NOS Bosch regulator in the end and am relieved to read others problems posted here I thought I was alone struggling with this issue.

914Sixer
I still have 4 of the larger hole old style if anyone needs them.
porschetub
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 28 2016, 08:31 AM) *

bought one of these fitted perfectly,and NOS.
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 13 2017, 12:58 PM) *

how much are they, I am located over here in Japan right now....it is correct for my car? a 72 1.7 converted to carbs.....

also looking for brushes for the alternator as well

Jamie
porschetub
QUOTE(ws6 @ Nov 1 2016, 11:40 AM) *

I purchased one of those too, pin location was off .15 inch so would not fit in location.

My relay board cover wouldn't fit properly also,don't think the pelican one was intented for the 914 sad.gif .
brant
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 13 2017, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(ws6 @ Nov 1 2016, 11:40 AM) *

My relay board cover wouldn't fit properly also,don't think the pelican one was intented for the 914 sad.gif .

my experience also
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 13 2017, 12:58 PM) *

Hello, I am interested....I will send you a PM....is this brand new ?Thank you
914Sixer
I have these
nsr-jamie
Hi 914Sixer, yes, I am interested. I have sent you a PM. When you have a chance, please read it and get back to me at your convinence. Thank you
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 15 2017, 12:47 PM) *

I have these

PM (private mail) sent to you, please check your messages. Thank you
Jamie
Spoke
I picked up this one locally from Autozone. Works fine.

Click to view attachment
914-Kazoo
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 14 2017, 09:47 PM) *

I have these

Sixer, do you still have these in stock?
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(914-Kazoo @ Jun 13 2022, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 14 2017, 09:47 PM) *

I have these

Sixer, do you still have these in stock?

@914-Kazoo

If @Sixer does not, let me know. I have a couple Bosch NOS volt regs listed right now:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=359337

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 19 2017, 10:25 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This is what I am using as well.
Zach
bbrock
I know this is kind of an old thread, but hoping someone using the Duralast VR can clear my confusion. The part pictured in posts above does not look like it would fit the 914 relay board, but the product description on the autozone page also shows pics of this part which looks to be plug and play. Can anyone clarify which one you get when ordered? @Spoke @VaccaRabite

Click to view attachment
windforfun
Make sure it doesn't provide more than about 13.4 V or it'll cook your battery.
bbrock
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 13 2022, 04:27 PM) *

Can't find output specs on the web site but was figuring any electrical part that Spoke uses must be good.
windforfun
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 13 2022, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 13 2022, 04:27 PM) *

Can't find output specs on the web site but was figuring any electrical part that Spoke uses must be good.

Throw a voltmeter on the thing immediately after turn on. You may have to measure this at the battery.
Spoke
Here's the one I bought. It has wires and a connector but it looks like there would be space for the VR to attach directly to the connector on the relay board.

My VR provides just about 14V. The new alternator on my 930 provides about 14V as well. I think this is a safe voltage to operate at.

Click to view attachment
windforfun
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 13 2022, 05:23 PM) *

Here's the one I bought. It has wires and a connector but it looks like there would be space for the VR to attach directly to the connector on the relay board.

My VR provides just about 14V. The new alternator on my 930 provides about 14V as well. I think this is a safe voltage to operate at.

Click to view attachment

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
bbrock
Ah. That makes sense. Thanks!
fixer34
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jun 14 2022, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 19 2017, 10:25 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This is what I am using as well.
Zach

Interesting; my local Autozone wants $37.99 for it, but says lifetime warranty.
Also, one of their pictures shows the connectors in the epoxy bottom, but the others show a 3 wire stub cable with the connector. Wonder if the guy who makes up the pictures has ever seen one.
bbrock
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jul 13 2022, 09:26 PM) *

Also, one of their pictures shows the connectors in the epoxy bottom, but the others show a 3 wire stub cable with the connector. Wonder if the guy who makes up the pictures has ever seen one.

Yeah, those pictures are what threw me. Autozone couldn't get one to me for a week so I bought this one from O'Reilly's which should be here in the morning.
stoneman30hotmail
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 13 2022, 11:40 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jul 13 2022, 09:26 PM) *

Yeah, those pictures are what threw me. Autozone couldn't get one to me for a week so I bought this one from O'Reilly's which should be here in the morning.

Re-reviving an old post. I would have liked to know that that part doesn't quite fit. It was nice that O'reilys can get the part within a day for just over 50$. But the tab offset is too short. So, I cut of it off. Now there's 14V at the battery. So maybe that's ok. The generator light is still on though.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
QUOTE(stoneman30hotmail @ Sep 22 2023, 06:02 PM) *

Now there's 14V at the battery. So maybe that's ok. The generator light is still on though.

Click to view attachment

@stoneman30hotmail

Good that you have 14V at the battery. What is the voltage at D+ to chassis? The voltage across the GEN light is the difference between D+ and battery (through fuse F9). If D+ is also 14V, then with engine off, pop out the guage with GEN light, start the car and measure both sides of the GEN light. They should be the same.
Superhawk996
Duplicate
Superhawk996
All these years later . . . And @914Sixer is still the best bet for getting a NOS regulator instead of some cobbled part. first.gif aktion035.gif

Watch the classifieds and don’t hesitate if/when he has them.
914Sixer
I know where there are a couple. I have one used one for $49 shipped.
stoneman30hotmail
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 22 2023, 07:40 PM) *

Now there's 14V at the battery. So maybe that's ok. The generator light is still on though.

@stoneman30hotmail

Good that you have 14V at the battery. What is the voltage at D+ to chassis? The voltage across the GEN light is the difference between D+ and battery (through fuse F9). If D+ is also 14V, then with engine off, pop out the guage with GEN light, start the car and measure both sides of the GEN light. They should be the same.

17V at D+! What's that mean?
Spoke
QUOTE(stoneman30hotmail @ Sep 23 2023, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 22 2023, 07:40 PM) *

@stoneman30hotmail

17V at D+! What's that mean?

@stoneman30hotmail

Is this a new VR? D+ should be the same as the battery voltage. The VR uses DF to control the current in the armature of the alternator which in turn controls the voltage to the battery.

See the diagram below that the voltage generated at D+ by the stator should be identical to the voltage generated at B+ and thus the battery.

Check all 3 voltages at the VR connector WRT chassis, not the engine case.

D+ should equal battery voltage
DF should hover between 5V and 9V
D- should be zero volts.

If you have 17V at D+ and 14V at B+, then something is still amiss.
porschetub
Interesting to see Pelican still selling the ill fitting china made Hella (5DR 004 243 -111 ) ,think I payed $32 I think a way back ,now they are $52 !!!!.
Genuine Porsche one is a Beru and listed for $42, these weren't listed @ the time I bought mine sadly.
Not only are they a poor fit but my one never really worked that well,80% of the time I had to rev the engine to shut of the charge light,I didn't expect this considering I had a completely rebuilt alternator ,new loom ,reconditioned relayboard and all else in good condition .
Got sick of this and being a non returnable part all I could do was to comment in the review section ,IMO it is disappointing to see them selling them still and listed as direct replacement for original .
Bought one of 914sixer's NOS units and no further issues .
technicalninja
I bought the last new solid state one from Mark.
I don't think I need it YET.
Just seemed like I was going to later regret not getting one when they were available.

I'm glad I did.
windforfun
agree.gif

What would happen if you just bypassed the damn thing? What does it really regulate?

idea.gif confused24.gif idea.gif
technicalninja
QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 23 2023, 04:14 PM) *

agree.gif

What would happen if you just bypassed the damn thing? What does it really regulate?

idea.gif confused24.gif idea.gif

Trying to "stir the pot" Sir?

Guys, don't fall for it. dry.gif

He's an Electrical Engineer...
windforfun
You're a righteous dude (from the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"). So maybe this thing keeps the battery charging circuit at about 13.5 V IIRC, regardless of the varying loads placed on the electrical system by such things as the 1 KW rms audio system & the beer refrigerator. I have both in my 914. Just joking.

P.S. A bad regulator could conceivably produce 16 V at the battery which is a no no.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.