Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help us rebuild a 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ericoneal
I picked up this engine from a member of the "World" in Nashville and my son and I are going to attempt to rebuild it over the winter. We have a book, youtube, and this website and will document everything in this thread.
The first thing we had to do is get it small and light enough to get it down to the unfinished portion of my basement, so I put the boy (he's 4) to work pulling the heads off.
IPB Image

Looks ok so far... Very hard to keep Blake from "organizing" all the nuts and bolts into a mixed pile.
IPB Image

Success:
IPB Image

More picture and questions to come. I have the cylinders and heads off and its ready to move, but still very heavy.

Much thanks to walterolin for loaning us an engine stand, he even hand delivered it on a Sunday morning. Thanks again Walter!

IPB Image
iwanta914-6
What a fun project!
fixer34
If you can find a later version (still 20+ years old..) of John Muir's 'How to keep your Volkswagen Alive' book, I would start there. Pretty sure it includes the Type IV engines. Not many pictures, but he does a great (and humorous) job of explaining exactly what to do.

I'm sure others here can recommend a technical manual that can help fill in the pictures.
yellow75
I have a first edition of Johns book. He's a very detailed and humorous guy for sure. A wealth of common sense knowledge in that book.
CAMshaft
I recommend Jake Raby's Rebuild VW Porsche Type 4 IV Engine DVD. He does a complete tear down, inspection and rebuild. He also points out the parts to hang on to that are hard to come by. It's a great step by step guide.
malcolm2
The engine stand makes life easier.

You have lots to think about. Is there anything wrong with the engine that the PO told you or you can see?

you just gonna re-bush, re-bearing, re-ring, etc.... the 1.7?

Fuel injection, or Carbs.... gotta get the right cam. blink.gif

Or maybe spice it up with bigger pistons and make it a 1911 cc. all that is is upping the piston diameter. and it goes up in stuff and price from there. 2.0, 2056, etc... depends on what you plan to do with the car.

all the books will help and Jakes video is pretty old, but it is good. YouTube is great too.

Let me know if I can help, I am also in Nashville. You are a good ways from here, but I'll do what I can.

welcome.png
Mblizzard
Hey I am not far away if you get stuck.
tygaboy
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Oct 26 2016, 01:53 PM) *

IPB Image

Simply awesome! Save this picture to remind Blake of your role instilling in him the need to take things apart and fix them. What a great memory! first.gif
stugray
QUOTE(CAMshaft @ Oct 26 2016, 04:16 PM) *

I recommend Jake Raby's Rebuild VW Porsche Type 4 IV Engine DVD. He does a complete tear down, inspection and rebuild. He also points out the parts to hang on to that are hard to come by. It's a great step by step guide.

I second the video from Jake Raby.
He says that some of his recommendations have changed since he made the video but it is still the 'bible' for a type-IV first timer.
cary
I third Jake's video. You can go with the adhesives in the video. Or buy the new kit from the Type 4 Store.
I started my love for working on cars with John's book. Have no idea where it went. I think I'll search the web for one.
TheCabinetmaker
I have Jake's video but mostly use Tom Wilson's book. "How to rebuild your vw engine". Ions ago there was no internet, so Tom's book got me through my first rebuilds. I still use it for reference.
Perry Kiehl Clone
Cool to see this Eric! Fun to have your boy "helping" too. IIRC it had low compression in #3, so I'll be following your progress.
mbseto
My 1.7 needs at the very least a top end rebuild. Might try to follow along with you...
ericoneal
Thanks everyone. I have read the VW idiot book, have thumbed through the Wilson book, and will start looking for the dvd. This page looks useful as well: Rebuilding a Porsche 914 (VW Type 4) Engine

I pulled my current 2.0 out last summer and had it rebuilt by someone else, then put it back in, so I'm not completely foriegn to all of this. That was a horrible, epic, experience that led me down this path of wanting to have the knowledge to rebuild on my own.

Will send along pictures as I make progress, all advice is welcome. Next up is to buy a work bench this weekend, get it on the stand, and maybe the case open.

Eric

PS Perry, I thought that I had remembered you mentioning that, will keep that in mind and send pictures when I get to that. The transmission you gave me is getting cracked open next. biggrin.gif

malcolm2
http://www.bugmevideo.com/volume8.html

You mentioned Transmission>>>

DR EVIL has a DVD too. He is in Ohio now.

https://themostlyporscheblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/261/

I had him rebuild my tranz. I felt like the tranz was something I did not want to tackle alone. He worked hard to get it right. I have about 25K miles on it now.

Frankvw
Great project. Below books help me a lot.
the John Muir is gold for me for many years in my VW hobby and now again great use for the 914 work.
Click to view attachment
Archie
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Oct 26 2016, 02:24 PM) *

If you can find a later version (still 20+ years old..) of John Muir's 'How to keep your Volkswagen Alive' book, I would start there. Pretty sure it includes the Type IV engines. Not many pictures, but he does a great (and humorous) job of explaining exactly what to do.

I'm sure others here can recommend a technical manual that can help fill in the pictures.

Good choice! It covers the Type IV engine and it even has a section on the fuel injection!
fixer34
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Oct 27 2016, 02:19 PM) *

Great project. Below books help me a lot.
the John Muir is gold for me for many years in my VW hobby and now again great use for the 914 work.
Click to view attachment

25th anniversary edition..
I just looked, mine is dated Feb 1974
NCRider
Eric I think I have a extra Bug Me DVD i can give you . The late Bob Hoover's Blog has a great deal of practical air cooled motor information.

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/search?q=cylinder+height+

Jeff
stugray
This is also a must read for anyone building a type IV:

http://www.ephotomotion.com/914engine/
ericoneal
Great link, looks like lots of good info there. THanks for that.

WOuld love to get my hands on the BugMe DVD as well if you are finished with it.

Still looking at getting the engine moved down to my basement and onto a stand, unfortunately, I threw my back out a few days ago, so that is causing delays.

QUOTE(NCRider @ Nov 5 2016, 09:34 AM) *

Eric I think I have a extra Bug Me DVD i can give you . The late Bob Hoover's Blog has a great deal of practical air cooled motor information.

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/search?q=cylinder+height+

Jeff

NCRider
I found my other Bug Me copy. PM me the address and I'll get it out to you.

Jeff
NCRider
QUOTE(NCRider @ Nov 7 2016, 08:37 AM) *

I found my other Bug Me copy. PM me the address and I'll get it out to you.

Jeff

Eric I got the DVD mailed out today. You should have it by the end of the week.

Jeff
stugray
I also have a spare Jake Raby video.
I bought one, misplaced it, bought another, found original....
Frankvw
Hi guys, how is your build coming along ? Any updates ?
ericoneal
Slow going, but I did receive the rebuild DVD in the mail yesterday. Thanks NCRider!
I'm still trying to get my neighbor to help with moving onto the engine stand, then i will send more pictures. Head and cyclinders, etc are in plastic bins and the shortblock is still sitting. I thought if I got all of the extraneous stuff off that I could move it myself, but its heavy and I dont think I can get it to the basement alone.
Everything is set to go, but life keeps happening...
ericoneal
We're finally on the engine stand. More to come....

(Yes thats a plastic monkey wrench hanging off)

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Have you found anything obviously wrong? IIRC it was #3 that had low compression. Looks like your boy is enjoying the process smile.gif
ericoneal
Not sure what to look for, but will post picks of everything. Heads are off and cylinders are out at this point.
ericoneal
Pistons are off! How do they look?

The clips holding them on were very hard to remove. Splitting the case open tonight! Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jan 3 2017, 09:03 AM) *

Splitting the case open tonight!

Go slowly on splitting the case. Lots of hidden bolts. don't get too physical and try to wedge it apart. If it does not come easily, you have a nut left to get.

If you had low compression, were the rings stuck on that cylinder?

What about a photo of the heads? My problem was obvious. One of the valve seats had broken and gotten into the combustion chamber and bounced around, ruining the piston and the head.
ericoneal
I will post detailed pictures of the heads tonight, been meaning to do that. I think the internals may be OK, but I want to split the case open out of curiosity, if all is well, I will just leave it alone.
Can you elaborate by "rings stuck on the cylinder"? Is there something I should look for? Will post pictures of those as well.

Thanks
malcolm2
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jan 3 2017, 09:37 AM) *

I will post detailed pictures of the heads tonight, been meaning to do that. I think the internals may be OK, but I want to split the case open out of curiosity, if all is well, I will just leave it alone.
Can you elaborate by "rings stuck on the cylinder"? Is there something I should look for? Will post pictures of those as well.

Thanks

Rings stuck. I was thinking you could have a low compression cylinder. Maybe a ring problem. I have seen rings that have come out of their channel and bent. Maybe a ring broke and did not seal properly, or stuck to the inside of it's channel and did not touch the wall of the cylinder.

Any reason to not show compression.
ericoneal
Blake took the thermostat and oil pump cover off last night before the magnets we were going to use to remove the lifters got all of his attention.
This looks like a Type1 oil pump to me, am I right?

Also, can anyone identify these pistons from their markings?

Thanks, slowly making progress..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Al Meredith
Something doesn't look right. All the 1.7s I've rebuilt have domed pistons. The pistons pictured in this thread appeared to be "dished" or lower compression. Could hat be a bus or 411 engine?
ericoneal
I noticed that too, could be bus pistons for sure. I've heard of them being used because they are cheap.
ericoneal
We got the case open!

Confirmed that it is a 1.7 engine, but case has a bronzish tint to it. Wonder if it was recently rebuilt or mucked with because everything has come apart pretty easily. (ie bolts not stuck, etc).
Lots of oil and dirt on it though, so I need to figure out to get this thinged cleaned up. Anyone ever take their case to the car wash and use the pressure washers there?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Frankvw
you guys are doing a great job.
Over here: If I would take a oily case to the pressure washer station I hope I do not get caught for environmental hazard violation.....
Keep up the good work ! Looking forward to more updates !
Valy
Let me be the first one to tell you that your cam is dead.
ericoneal
Thanks.

Valy, I think your right. I'm going to take pictures of everything and then you guys can tell me what needs to be replaced.
jcd914
You may be able to find a local automotive machine shop that can clean the case fairly cheap. In the old days it would have been soaked in a hot tank of caustic chemicals but now days most all are water based cleaners. We had a high pressure wash cabinet with a rotating basket. In there for 30 minutes and it would look pretty good.

Before cleaning the case, be sure to remove the 5 dowel pins for locating/securing the crank bearings, they get lost easily. There are 4 in one case half and 1 in the other.

Jim
ericoneal
So this project is now on indefinite hold. I have discovered a 4 inch crack in one of the heads.
malcolm2
Sorry to hear. I am in Nashville. I have 2 heads from a '71 1.7. I have no idea about their condition. They are not cleaned up.

You can have them. If they will get you going.
IronHillRestorations
I can't believe that engine ran fairly well before I pulled it. As I told you it had low leak down in one cylinder (#3 iirc) The car had a lot of work done by a really shady "mechanic", but the PO didn't know anything about the engine
walterolin
Same as Malcolm2 - two 1.7 heads, no idea of their condition. Same price as Malcolms.
Valy
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Nov 13 2017, 02:01 PM) *

So this project is now on indefinite hold. I have discovered a 4 inch crack in one of the heads.

This sound like an upgrade opportunity to me. smash.gif
Dr Evil
I love this place. I need to get my soon to be 5yo in on something like this. Engines are more fun that transmissions, I think, but take more time and $$ (for me). Walter and Perry are kick ass, lucky you live near enough.
RoadGlue
Hey Eric,

It looks like I have a lead on a good 1.7 head that I could send you at no-cost. Would a head be of use if it needed to be rebuilt but was otherwise in good condition without cracks?

Let me know. You can PM if you'd prefer. Hate to see your project stall.
ericoneal
I dont know what to say... Malcolm, RoadGlue, and Walter, you guys and NCRider who sent me the rebuild DVD have been great. What a great community we have here! Thank you guys very much for the offers.

Malcolm, this engine came from Nashville, I bought it from Perry Kiehl as an "condition unknown", so I expected issues.

Walter, I may take you up on yours if you have no need for them and just have some laying around. I see Walter regularly and he is familiar with this engine and my driver 2.0, which he helped to get started afterm that one was rebuilt. Hell, the engine stand in the pictures is his as well. biggrin.gif
Walter has given me parts and time already, so I would want to give you at least something in exchange.

I'm still trying to determine what to do with this engine as the project has been stalled for awhile.
I can rebuild it, but I already have a 2.0 that was just rebuilt and is running great, so I probably won't need it. I would hesitate to sell it if I did finish it as I would hate to have it crap out on someone due to my limited experience.
Suggestions?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.