Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leather
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Txbentleyboy
I'm new, I'll readily admit it.

I'm wanting a 75-76 2.0 and would like to do the entire interior in leather. Is this a huge mistake?
N_Jay
QUOTE(Txbentleyboy @ Oct 26 2016, 05:07 PM) *

I'm new, I'll readily admit it.

I'm wanting a 75-76 2.0 and would like to do the entire interior in leather. Is this a huge mistake?

The purists will say ; "Yes!"

I say, do what you like.

My personal plan is to do leather since almost all my vinyl needs replacing anyhow.

Unless you are building a show car, then: "What the hell are you thinking!"
Mueller
I can see it being tastefully done, and I could see it looking terrible, depends on your taste and the talent of the person doing it.

In the grand scheme of things it will not distract too much from the overall value of the car since it is all parts that can be replaced or put back to stock.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 26 2016, 04:31 PM) *

I can see it being tastefully done, and I could see it looking terrible, depends on your taste and the talent of the person doing it.

In the grand scheme of things it will not distract too much from the overall value of the car since it is all parts that can be replaced or put back to stock.

I have seen it done and some of the trim pieces are tough to reinstall due to the thickness of the leather (A pillar comes to mind). But it can be done with effort.
malcolm2
do some searches here and Google. There are some areas that make a difference.

I have seen some nice dashes, steering wheels. I think a good condition vinyl back pad and basket weave seat look great. I would not spend the $$. on those areas, unless it was in the area of cushion and a nice cushy seat.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 26 2016, 03:31 PM) *

If you don't like the way it looks, you can always re-purpose the leather ...
whip[1].gif
euro911
My seats are tan leather, everything else is the stock vinyl (albeit sprayed tan with fabric paint).
Garland
Here are some links:

Old post 1

Old post 2
Perry Kiehl Clone
I had Original Fit Interiors make a leather interior for me back in the mid 90s. I got leather seats, door panels, and backpad but that's all. Some pieces would be tricky to cover in leather.
jmitro
man, timely question for me.

I just got a quote for recovering my factory seats in vinyl today from a local upholstery shop. quoted $600+ per seat for cheap ass vinyl. Much more for leather.

I'd like a more pleasant seat covering than the stock cheap vinyl, but not sure I want to spend that kind of cash....
Cairo94507
Well, yet another area where I am not staying original....my interior is being re-covered in leather. The only vinyl will be the dash, knee-pad, top of the both the windshield pads and the rear roof pad. I have selected a leather that looks as close to stock as possible and covering it in the stock pattern too. Not cheap, but I think it will look and wear well.
Rand
Is it wrong if I recover my couch? Depends on your criteria. Obviously you left concours land, so just do what makes you happy.
iamchappy
You will love they way it smells...
Rob-O
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Oct 26 2016, 05:13 PM) *

agree.gif

The cabin of a 914 is small. Opening the door to get into the car you'll get a strong smell of it. Personally I think it's great, adding to the 'old, cool sports car' vibe.
JmuRiz
Leather interior is great. Cost is the only factor for me.
RickS
By adding leather you just may cause a cardinal sin, make others jealous. Do it.
ConeDodger
Think of the cows man!!! av-943.gif lol-2.gif w00t.gif
Chris914n6
In Texas.... yes. Leather hates direct sun and sweat. Lots of care required to keep it nice and supple.
I had a 94 Infiniti a few years ago. Drivers door panel in leather looked horrible and good luck finding one in better shape. Contrary, the vinyl in my older Pathfinder still looks good, and the cloth seats held up better plus it breathes so my back isn't wet with sweat. A vinyl seat isn't any better but the 914 basket weave texture helps.

That being said, I'm redoing my interior in a 2 tone leather look vinyl, likely perforated vinyl seats, and keeping my cloth covered pillars.

Re-upholstering seats here is $200-250 each including a good cloth/vinyl, for bottom back & headrest.
euro911
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Oct 26 2016, 06:13 PM) *
... as long as it overpowers the oil and gas smell from the engine compartment rolleyes.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 26 2016, 07:47 PM) *
Re-upholstering seats here is $200-250 each including a good cloth/vinyl, for bottom back & headrest.
Does that include the bolsters? unsure.gif
whitetwinturbo
type.gif Hijack Alert!

Where can I get the cool Passenger side aluminum foot rest seen in the above older threads?
EdwardBlume
I leather wrapped my e brake. A nice touch I might say..... smile.gif
bretth
I believe leather was a rare factory 914 option for seats at least?

Brett
Cairo94507
Yeah, but only on the 914 S......
Elliot Cannon
Do it. Make it smell like a new baseball mitt inside. biggrin.gif
dcheek
This is just my personal opinion.
Leather is a high maintenance item. Especially in an open top car. I joke with my buddies that if I ordered a new Porsche I would special order leather seat BACKS only. Why? You get the leather smell without the wear, cracking and maintenance necessary for leather seat faces.

As they say, vinyl is final. My 914 seats are over 40 years old and look like they just came from the factory. I doubt they would look this good, no matter how diligent I was in maintaining them, if they were leather.

I hate leather seats!
Just my 2¢

Dave
JmuRiz
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Oct 26 2016, 07:48 PM) *

type.gif Hijack Alert!

Where can I get the cool Passenger side aluminum foot rest seen in the above older threads?

Engman made them (insert sad face) sad.gif
Chris H.
Yep sad.gif . And I think he made a few driver's left foot rest things too. Could be wrong on that.
mbseto
I would love to have a leather interior. You can get a damaged-in-shipping leather couch pretty cheap and I'm thinking it might be possible to turn that into an interior. At least the seats, doors, and wheel.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 26 2016, 10:23 PM) *

Think of the cows man!!! av-943.gif lol-2.gif w00t.gif

we are... its called repurposing! biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dcheek @ Oct 27 2016, 09:07 AM) *

This is just my personal opinion.
Leather is a high maintenance item. Especially in an open top car. I joke with my buddies that if I ordered a new Porsche I would special order leather seat BACKS only. Why? You get the leather smell without the wear, cracking and maintenance necessary for leather seat faces.

As they say, vinyl is final. My 914 seats are over 40 years old and look like they just came from the factory. I doubt they would look this good, no matter how diligent I was in maintaining them, if they were leather.

I hate leather seats!
Just my 2¢

Dave

vinyl and leather BOTH can crack- when I got my 914 the vinyl seat bolsters were so bad they were falling apart if you touched them! but the car had been in 29 palms CA so how much of that was the desert heat etc? I don't know - - in cold climates like in Minnesota growing up we had issues with it cracking in the winter at 30 below too LOL! personally I like leather better, cheap leather will crack and wear- the bolsters in my Boxster were wearing, but I have a 2000 528I BMW , and a 2004 Jag Vanden Plas both leather interiors that still look brand new!! - even in our hot sunny summers, - both cars have extra tint too, im sure that helps, and I condition them regularly(I was not the original owner but bought both cars from elderly individuals that took great care of their cars) - Quality of the leather matters a lot - processing and tanning of the leather- My Saab seats were horrible- both the leather and the vinyl cracks , seemed to be a issue for Saab always---- so just my 2cents worth- do the leather if you want to, but get the good stuff!

- fyi I did the 914 rubber seat replacement kits with the plaid inserts, they look and fit great!! - I like the cloth seats much better to sit on if cold or hot- not expensive and period correct- good vinyl that will last a lot longer than most of the original stuff did.
Mikey914
We can make the kits in leather, or whatever you want. Just a matter of material cost.
Mark Henry
Seats and back pad, etc. are OK, I don't like the dashes I've seen.
mbseto
/
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 27 2016, 12:00 PM) *

We can make the kits in leather, or whatever you want. Just a matter of material cost.

Would this require a GB or minimum number of orders?
GeorgeRud
My 911 Targa has leather seats, dash, etc., and the shrinkage over the years has caused panels and the dash to warp. I even went with sheepskin seat covers to make the seats more comfortable when the car is in the sun with the top off.

When I redid my 914 seats, I had them make cloth seating surfaces along with the vinyl. Cooler to sit on if the car has been in the sunlight! But most of all, do what pleases you!
jmitro
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 27 2016, 11:00 AM) *

I'm definitely interested in that!
Ed_914
Count me in for a kit in leather
KeithVonLaws
Love the idea... I guess the biggest concern I would have is who is installing it and do they have the same vision for the correct look. Doing something like a full leather interior and making it look as if it were a Factory installed option is very difficult . In my opinion I would do the seats and select other items but I would make sure the shop doing it for you understands exactly the kind of look you are after.

Good Luck Post pics if you Git er Done !!!
My 914
Personally, I like the look and smell of a leather interior and have never regretted having leather seats in any car I have owned. I think its worth the cost if you find someone reputable to do the work.
maf914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 27 2016, 05:25 AM) *

type.gif Hijack Alert!

Rennline and Pelican Parts carry the driver side aluminum footboards, but I don't know where to find the passenger side. As Nathan said, Engman offered them in the past and I bought one at that time.
euro911
Check with Dave (Maddog on this board), he makes them (both sides), and dead pedals too confused24.gif

http://www.maddogsmotorsports.org/accessories.html
PanelBilly
My car is mostly leather. The dash is vinyl and I wish I had done it in a stitched leather. Maybe I'll pull it back out someday and have it redone. Sure was hard to put the trim around the sail panels back together. With everything slightly thicker there was a lot of tight tolerances.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 28 2016, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 27 2016, 05:25 AM) *

type.gif Hijack Alert!

Rennline and Pelican Parts carry the driver side aluminum footboards, but I don't know where to find the passenger side. As Nathan said, Engman offered them in the past and I bought one at that time.

Restoration Design now has the foot boards in original wood and they are looking for ideas to expand their line, drop Pete a PM and tell him you'd be interested if they made them.
Bob L.
Everyone talking about their leather goodies, I think the time has come....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
euro911
Only the seats are leather. These were 'previously owned' by Jim Hoyland.

IPB Image
Mikey914
QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 27 2016, 11:51 AM) *

/
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 27 2016, 12:00 PM) *

Would this require a GB or minimum number of orders?

Can do to order. Just need to have the material you want spec'd. Typically can do an interior in about 10-12 days.

PS also make the OEM style pedal boards along with pedal stop and adjuster if you need them. -For less

Also note ours are now available stained black - just like OEM at no extra cost.

http://shop.914rubber.com/Plywood-floor-bo...m?categoryId=-1
oakdalecurtis
I know you're asking about leather, but since I recovered my yellow vinyl seats with the original tartan cloth, I have received a TON of compliments.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
barefoot
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 27 2016, 12:35 AM) *

Do it. Make it smell like a new baseball mitt inside. biggrin.gif

Well, smells like dead cows in there !!
My 914
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Oct 30 2016, 06:06 PM) *

I know you're asking about leather, but since I recovered my yellow vinyl seats with the original tartan cloth, I have received a TON of compliments.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

yellow tartan seats on a black leather base would be an awsome combination.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.